Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2008, 12:23 PM

3 posts, read 5,621 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
I am very soon moving to Atlanta. My office is in downtown (30308).I need your sincere advice on some good places to live in. I am married and have a 2 yr old son and I am careful about below points while chosing a right apartment/place to live.
1. If not walkable, I can manage 15-20 mins travel time ( walk-in distance to any public-transit point)
2. Since I am an Indians, I am looking for a place where I can find many working Indians. Are many Indians staying in downtown area? Is downtown safe from living point of view, specially during non-office hours? if downtown is safe, which apartments I can consider.
3. Places where I can find Indian Groceries, Food stores etc etc.
4. Places where I can find Pre-KG schools for my baby.
5. Places where I can find nearby Hospitals that are walkable.

If you could be so sure, pls give me some apartments where mostly working Indian live (working in downtown)

Thank you verymuch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 12:38 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,485,663 times
What is your price range ?

I would suggest that you search for housing outside the downtown area. The DeKalb Medical Center area north of the City of Decatur is approximately 8-10 miles or 30 minutes away and has a small Indian population. Scott Blvd/Lawrenceville Hwy/North Decatur Rd are streets found in this area which is also called 'North DeKalb Mall'. Access to MARTA is available from this area and downtown is 30-45 minutes away. You could also look for housing in Scottdale or Avondale Estates.

Several Indian restaurants, businesses and a grocery are found here.

DeKalb College and Technical Institute's Clarkston campus serves an international population and is located in this area. I cannot recommend that you search for housing in Clarkston as many areas of this community have significant crime.

There is a larger Indian community located in Lilburn which is about 20 miles further north and utilizing public transportation would be complicated if not impossible.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:48 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,739,067 times
Yes, TakeAHike offers excellent suggestions. Decatur is a very urban (yet still has small town appeal) area, walkable, diverse, and MARTA accessible. Excellent daycares include The Frasier Center, another one that's a co-op (name escapes me). There are also several Bright Horizon Daycares (excellent facilities) in Midtown which isn't too much of a hike. Will you have a car at all or will you solely rely on public transportation? Also in Decatur (it's not near a train but probably a bus goes there) is the DeKalb Farmer's Market which has every type of food, produce, international flavors available! Many from local farmers and grocers. DeKalb Medical Center is also nearby. Welcome to Atlanta!

Old 12-19-2008, 12:52 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,739,067 times
Just did a quick Craigslist search and here are a few rentals that meet your criteria in Decatur:

Walk to Dowtown Decatur! (http://atlanta.craigslist.org/apa/964004820.html - broken link)
Hardwood Floors in the heart of Oakhurst! (http://atlanta.craigslist.org/apa/963996425.html - broken link)
Large Decatur Apartment Townhome Available (http://atlanta.craigslist.org/apa/961247051.html - broken link)

Old 12-19-2008, 01:23 PM

Khabar : Home (http://www.khabar.com/jsp/index.jsp - broken link)

Old 12-19-2008, 02:35 PM

3 posts, read 5,621 times
Thanks a lot for all your replies. I appreciate your effort and help. Many thanks. By the way, I am planning to buy a car. Let me use MARTA for couple of weeks.

Can anybody suggest me of few good apartments in Decatur Area where I can start looking at.? Any hotel there in Decatur area for my initial stay for couple of weeks?

Old 12-19-2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Atlanta2009 View Post
Thanks a lot for all your replies. I appreciate your effort and help. Many thanks. By the way, I am planning to buy a car. Let me use MARTA for couple of weeks.

Can anybody suggest me of few good apartments in Decatur Area where I can start looking at.? Any hotel there in Decatur area for my initial stay for couple of weeks?

Sweattea1 listed a few apartments.

Emory Woods Apartments have been mentioned for those looking for housing in the Decatur/Emory area. There are a number of apartments north of the main campus of Emory University---Clairmont Rd/North Druid Hills/Briarcliff Rd/La Vista Rd. Google terms like 'Apartments Emory or Decatur'.

Hotels>>>
Holiday Inn/Decatur
Holiday Inn DECATUR Hotels | CONFERENCE CENTER (DECATUR) | Welcome (http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/1/en/hotel/ATLDC/welcome - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta