U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 04:35 PM

2,742 posts, read 5,984,243 times

Advertisements

General question for anybody. What are the most popular clubs in Atlanta now, and where are they located?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 04:54 PM

1,473 posts, read 1,653,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Interesting blurb in the article:

"Undercover police officers are making more arrests of panhandlers and hospitality officials are working harder to educate visitors about the problem in advance."

Well, fist of all, how does "educating visitors in advance" about the problem make people want to visit again? What, saying, "Oh, just so you'll know, there are a lot of bums who will approach you, but now that you know - have fun!", help bring people back? I'm not even a visitor. I live in the metro area, and I drive two hours to visit downtown Chattanooga much more often than I go downtown here anymore due to this problem, and I'm "educated" about it.

Second, arrests have increased, but it does little good if one day later those arrested are back out on the street again. Panhandling AND loitering laws need to be enforced about 500% more than there are now - consistently.

After this, maybe, people will invest their money to bring businesses and restaurants and clubs back downtown. But not until this happens.
The educating they're referring to is to inform visitors on why they shouldn't give money to the panhandlers and to instead direct them to charities that can help actual homeless people.

For the record, Downtown is already experiencing a wave of new businesses (article (http://twincities.bizjournals.com/atlanta/stories/2008/10/20/story3.html - broken link)) and more is on the way. The old Macy's building is being converted into a multi-tenant retail center that has already attracted several tenants and might be a good location for a few bars.

Last edited by J2rescue; 12-30-2008 at 05:46 PM..

Old 12-30-2008, 06:05 PM

3,635 posts, read 8,805,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
General question for anybody. What are the most popular clubs in Atlanta now, and where are they located?
Most of the popular clubs are in Midtown, such as Leopard Lounge, Sutra Lounge, Halo Lounge, Door 44, Cosmo/Lava, Verve, and plenty more. When Midtown Mile is complete it should improve the area even more. Aiko is also a popular club in Buckhead, on Andrews St. I'm hoping the Streets of Buckhead will include some cocktail/martini lounges.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:30 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,172,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
The LAndmark Diner is open 24 hours and its in the its downtown and theres hooters that stays open til 1 and then there is stats which is right by wgcc theres is another 24 hour diner downtown that has a kareoke bar in it also Luckies is right by the aqaurium and most of your clubs bars are not downtown you have to go outside downtown there is lots of nightlife here just not where everyone wants it to be. Atlanta does not lack night it just lacks nightlife downtown
This needs to change. I was not aware there was no club district in Atlanta. If this is in fact true. People need to stop calling ATL international. But hey Im a house party type of guy. Don't see why the places at Peachtree Center don't stay open late. Wierd.....Im learning.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:33 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,172,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondandfun View Post

Stop bashing my comments trying to diminish my posts, you're being immature and trollish.
IRONY!

Old 12-30-2008, 06:58 PM

1,498 posts, read 2,610,535 times
There are plenty of bars in Buckhead. The conventioneers probably just dont know where they are. I go to Pool Hall and 5 Paces (off Irby) and East Andrews and Churchills on East Andrews Drive. Bars have to be supported by a residential base. There just arent enough people living downtown yet. As GSU keeps building its dorms more bars will emerge. A whole district could even pop up, because I dont think GSU students are going to be frequenting Underground.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:08 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,254,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
The thread should be titled "Downtown's lack of nightlife" since that's what the article is referencing. Beyond that, the article covers the reasons for the situation pretty well.
Downtown except for the area around CNN and Centennial Park is really quite dangerous at night. Petty criminals, drug addicts and the homeless roam the area in search of the next victim. That is why there is no nightlife there.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
It depends on what kind of club you like. If you want rap, Club Esso on Memorial Drive is popular. If you want country, Cowboys in Marietta is the place to be. A mix of rock, country and blues can be found at Wild Bills in Duluth.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
I just wanna know, where do folks eat when they go downtown and get out around say...10 or 11pm???

I went to a play last weekend and I couldn't find anything open and this was just at 10pm. Atlantic Station stuff was closing at 10:30pm.

We had to stop at a lil diner in Stone Mountain that was 24 hours to get some food.

Same thing happened when I went to a Hawks game. I drove up and down Peachtree Road and others and everything is closed and I"m starving!

Even at school (GSU), Downtown is a ghost town after say, 6ish...
They have a Waffle House in Underground that is open all the time. A wee bit east of downtown The Majestic on Ponce is open 24 hours too.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:21 PM

2,193 posts, read 3,515,186 times
Clubbin in mid town is a bit too "eh" for me... The thought of having to guess whether im dancing with a dude or a female pretty much destroys that. I don't club much but when I do I either go to Dream or Esso. I went to Central Station once but its definitely too ghetto for my liking.

It definitely would be nice to have something similar to Beale St. in Memphis . They're kinda headed in the right direction with the clubs in under ground... if they had under ground set up right it could be as big as Buckhead was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta