Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 12:20 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times

Advertisements

Exactly! This liberal would like to close the Peachtree-Pine homeless shelter - yesterday!

The bottom line in all of this is that people either need to rely on the hotel concierge if they are totally clueless, or pick up a copy of Where Atlanta, Atlanta Magazine - or just talk to some locals. Not every big American city has a thriving nightlife district in the heart of Downtown. It really isn't very common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 01:39 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,399,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Now now, Georgia - don't blame Liberals.

I'm moderate. I have some views about the topic that some would consider liberal, and others that some would consider very conservative. Usually I'm middle of the road, but I can honestly say that I know people who label themselves as "liberal" who have told me point-blank that many of these bums would have been rounded up by them and driven out of state and dumped somewhere else if they had control. Don't confuse liberals with Vegan hippies - sometimes they do have good ideas. LOL
Greg and John, Let me correct myself as I to am a moderate Libertarian. When I refer to the current Atlanta government, the AJC rag, and those of Queen Shirley's ilk, I will change the phrase to left wing militants with a self serving agenda
Happy New Year

Old 12-31-2008, 01:49 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
LOL Georgia! I love it.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:00 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Keep in mind, the areas around Centennial Park and the Aquarium are bolstered by PRIVATE security guards (you will sometimes see them on Segways, and sometimes on foot), who strongly discourage the bums from being in those areas. The few you see are allowed to stay if they literally keep to themselves, and remain upright on the benches in the park (no laying down, etc - literally). Around Peachtree Center, there is also a certain element of private security as well as more dense business/tourist attractions close enough to keep things moving along (including bums).

It's certainly sad that in a city with a metro population of 5 million, you have only a two block area around Peachtree Center, and areas around Centennial Park, where you can walk freely without being panhandled - and that's only due to businesses shelling out $$$ for private security.
Those are not private security guards. They are the GWCC police- they are real cops just like the Atlanta Police but they work for the state authority that runs the GWCC and the Georgia Dome. They are no different that the MARTA Police.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:07 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krw8008 View Post
I guess I have had better experiences in Atlanta. I have never been followed and cussed-out by a bum here, but I have in SF. We go downtown about once a month for dinner and such and, from my experience, when we are in the P'tree Center and Centennial Park areas, we don't have any significant problems. A couple of weeks ago, we were downtown - went to the aquarium, Legal Sea Foods, and then walked through Centennial Park before returning to our car near P'tree Center - and we weren't hit up once. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I am from New York and have much experience with how to avoid contact with bums from living there in the 80s.

I guess some cities do better with it - Las Vegas (by the way, LV Blvd is NOT downtown LV) and Chicago, as your example states. Other cities, like Atlanta, SF and Seattle don't. I agree it is a problem, but if more people would get out there and not feed their hunger for money, booze, etc... that would help greatly.
I am all for programs that help the homeless deal with their problems and get a 2nd chance in life. I fully support shelters and even a degree of housing for them. I do not believe even an animal should roam the steets without food or shelter.
That said, I do not think the civic citizenry has any duty to allow the homeless to panhandle or to gum traffic up at off ramps or follow people down the street begging for money. If the homeless want food, they should have a place to go and get a meal. If they need a bed, we should provide it for them. If they want help with mental issues, drugs or whiskey, by all means we should help them. But to allow them to beg, harass and urinate in publc parks, NO.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:10 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,520,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Downtown except for the area around CNN and Centennial Park is really quite dangerous at night. Petty criminals, drug addicts and the homeless roam the area in search of the next victim. That is why there is no nightlife there.
Naw I disagree. Its more drug addicts in the burbs.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:11 PM

93 posts, read 202,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolyfett View Post
Naw I disagree. Its more drug addicts in the burbs.
Yes, Bankhead Hwy area is a 'burb? right?

Old 01-01-2009, 11:40 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,093,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGonzo33 View Post
Yes, Bankhead Hwy area is a 'burb? right?
No its not a suburb but its not downtown either and there has been less crime over there most of the big drug bust have been in the suburbs And I dont care what major city you go there are going to be drug infested areas people will still get mugged especially in NYC I have seen people get mugged on the train and everyone just sat there like it was none of there buisness. Crime is everywhere you cant run from it.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:13 PM

172 posts, read 393,539 times
There is plenty of stuff to do downtown. The problem isn't a lack of things to do, it is discoverability. Fortunately that is easily overcome in this day and age.

A few random points.

- I live, work, and hang out downtown. Between the Marietta St. Corridor, Fairlie Poplar, Five Points, Castleberry Hill the Hotel District, Sono and Old Fourth Ward (all in an area about the size of the most traveled part of Buckhead) there have to be at least 50 places to hang out. Maybe a third of them have opened in the last few years and many - maybe even the majority - of them are open until at least midnight.

- The private security guard are the Downtown Ambassador Force. They are part of Central Atlanta Progress and are funded by the self-taxation of downtown businesses.

- If you use some common sense, downtown is very safe. 99.99% of the homeless are harmless and if you just look them in the eye like human beings and say "sorry, nothing for you, take care" they will move on and maybe even utter a "God bless you." I have walked every inch of downtown all hours of the day and night and frequently while wearing business attire and have never had anything happen to me in TEN YEARS.

With that said, if you choose to walk alone down dark alleys at night or park your car on the side of the street with valuables in plain sight, you are increasing the probability of bad things happening. Just be aware of your surroundings and stay in well lit / traveled areas and you should be fine - or at least as fine as you can expect to be in a large urban environment.

Last edited by RZaakir; 01-01-2009 at 01:36 PM..

Old 01-01-2009, 01:38 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,093,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZaakir View Post
There is plenty of stuff to do downtown. The problem isn't a lack of things to do, it is discoverability. Fortunately that is easily overcome in this day and age.

A few random points.

- I live, work, and hang out downtown. Between the Marietta St. Corridor, Fairlie Poplar, Five Points, Castleberry Hill the Hotel District, Sono and Old Fourth Ward (all in an area about the size of the most traveled part of Buckhead) there have to be at least 50 places to hang out. Maybe a third of them have opened in the last few years and many - maybe even the majority - of them are open until at least midnight.

- The private security guard are the Downtown Ambassador Force. They are part of Central Atlanta Progress and are funded by the self-taxation of downtown businesses.

- If you use some common sense, downtown is very safe. 99.99% of the homeless are harmless and if you just look them in the eye like human beings and say "sorry, nothing for you, take care" they will move on and maybe even utter a "God bless you." I have walked every inch of downtown all hours of the day and night and frequently while wearing business attire and have never had anything happen to me in TEN YEARS.

With that said, if you choose to walk alone down dark alleys at night or park your car on the side of the street with valuables in plain sight, you are increasing the probability of bad things happening. Just be aware of your surroundings and stay in well lit / traveled areas and you should be fine - or at least as fine as you can expect to be in a large urban environment.

well said my friend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta