U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 08:25 PM

1,435 posts, read 3,507,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Where in my previous posts did I ever say blacks outnumber whites?
You took issue when I said that all of the high income affluent areas in Dallas are predominantly White, even though that is a fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 08:25 PM

719 posts, read 1,446,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
No city will replace Atlanta as the black mecca.
Absolutely right.

I don't know what specific statistics you're pointing to (maybe you can share) but the notion that Atlanta's black population is shrinking is a total misconception. As other posters have pointed out, there are several different demographic changes going on here. The city is becoming more attractive to high income residents, many of whom are white (but not all), while at the same time the burgeoning African-American middle class here is discovering the attractiveness of the suburban lifestyle and thus are going through their own suburbanization movement. Meanwhile, the city of Atlanta proper recently surpassed its previous all-time high population and is now over a half million. So one thing to look at in deciding whether Atlanta will remain a key African American stronghold is the black population of the metro area as a whole. And I don't have any numbers handy at the moment but I would suspect there's NOTHING to suggest that Atlanta is losing any ground in this regard.

And of course, all of this is just accepting your initial presumption (a very debatable one) that it's population alone that decides whether a place is a "mecca" of this or that. In this particular case, there are other factors in play, such as the fact that Atlanta is almost unrivaled today as the new "Motown" of the day and it's the only place I can imagine being compared to a Harlem of the early 20th C.

The bottom line is, if you're young and black and wanting to be where it's really at, I would say to you that, as always, you basically have two choices: NYC and Atlanta.

Last edited by WilliamM; 01-02-2009 at 08:34 PM..

Old 01-02-2009, 09:14 PM

6,911 posts, read 9,594,157 times
I would venture to say that the city of Atlanta is the only entity in the entire metro region that has seen a rise in the percentage of white vs. black. I know a link was posted somewhere recently on this site that showed the percentage of every suburban city and county from 2000 to 2008 and the black percentage rose in every single area outside of the Atlanta city limits.

The long held feeling that Cobb and Gwinnett were lily white is long, long gone. Cherokee and even the once 100% Forsyth County have seen their black percentages increase.

This is showing that the old lines of segregated communities in the south are falling by the wayside. Atlanta will reign as the black mecca because there is nothing even close to it anywhere in the south or the whole country for that matter.

But I consider it a white mecca and a hispanic and asian mecca as well!!

Old 01-02-2009, 10:06 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,399,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Ok I keep seeing all these posts (in this thread and others) about Atlanta being the place where rich black people live, but I wonder what people are basing this assumption on. Are there any facts/statistics/articles that say the black people living in Atlanta have higher average incomes than those in other cities?

Just because you see black people in Atlanta driving nice cars doesnt mean that this is the capital of "rich black America".

Sorry to burst your bubble, but just because metro Atlanta is a cosmopolitan area with many upper-income residents and also a large black population does not mean that there are more upper income blacks here than elsewhere.

Please, correct me if I am wrong with some factual and reliable references.
The western suburbs of Atlanta were well known for having more affluent predominantly black neighborhoods when I was still living in Atlanta. There is more black professional organization in Atlanta than in most other cities. The 100 Black Men of Atlanta is one example. Typically mayors in modern times in Atlanta have been black. And there is a stong contingent of historically black colleges and universities in Atlanta, stronger than in most other cities.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:08 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,399,640 times
Any comments on Washington, DC versus Atlanta? DC is another black mecca in the United States.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:32 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,803,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
Any comments on Washington, DC versus Atlanta? DC is another black mecca in the United States.
You beat me to it. DC's known for having a lot of (more) blacks in it's city.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:53 PM

6,911 posts, read 9,594,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
You beat me to it. DC's known for having a lot of (more) blacks in it's city.
And large upper income black suburbs, primarily on the MD side

Old 01-03-2009, 10:48 AM

356 posts, read 1,122,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Why do you find it interesting? Because all parties involved are black?

America is becoming a society of the haves and have nots. Race is not the issue, it's class. Well off blacks do not want to be around poor blacks. I do
not find this strange at all......

Well off blacks get burdened with the jopb of having to "take care" of the entire race of blacks when in fact it's not their responsibility. This only happens to blacks. Whites DO NOT get burdened with having to take care of poor whites in rural America.
Thank God you said it! I get so sick and tired of this kind of thinking and the under current tone of this mind set! We all (BLACK FOLK) know that well to do Black Folk don't what to live nowhere near the projects or low income area. Just the same as the white people in Orange County CA. don't want to live near a damn trailer park. No one questions that. They make it seems like all blacks are equal and have to carry the burdens of the every other. Are you surprise when white people do things and pass laws that have a negative effect on other white people? Are you surprised at what George Bush and his entire administration did to this majority white country?!

Old 01-03-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Wouldn't it be nice if someday cities could be described as good destinations or places to live without having to consider such things as racial composition?
Yes it would be nice and if that had been the thinking from the start it would be that way. Black folks certainly did not create it to be this way. So now YOU must work even harder to help create it. I don't know you personally. but its been my experience with those I do know who make these kinds of statements, that they are talk only. And they say it with a hint like it's Black people's fault...like we are the ones continuing this idea of Black this or that. An entire UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and only ONE CITY for the past twenty years has been called or has proven itself to be the Black Mecca? We still have a long way to go. I hope you are BEING THE CHANGE you want to see, and just not wishing for it. It wasn't a wish that created this. A long history of institutionalized racism created it and it will take more than a nice wish for it will be over. Until then we NEED whatever Black Mecca we can create. Shouldn't be that much of a worry...there's only ONE everyone recognizes.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:01 AM

Default Remember..he's uh...16.

And you are right, Dallas is NOT in the running at all...no where near. And for the comment about wealthy Blacks in the suburbs of Dallas, there are wealthy blacks everywhere. The question was about a " black mecca." It is reported that there are more Black Millionaires in Los Angeles than any other place....and yet we know Los Angeles is not a "black mecca." So Dallas having some wealthy blacks does not make it a "black mecca."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
I have never been to Charlotte but I have been to Dallas and all of the affluent neighborhoods that I saw there were predominantly White, so how can that city be considered a Black mecca when the majority of the wealthy elite there are White.

Last edited by ArthursChoice; 01-03-2009 at 11:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or