Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 11:35 PM

1 posts, read 13,624 times

Advertisements

New poster here! I have read many articles saying how the black population of Atlanta is shrinking. Its even on the wikipedia page! I am just wondering what city do you guys think will take the place of Atlanta as the "new black mecca?" I am thinking maybe Charlotte, or Dallas. Both cities saw a rise in african american population the same years Atlanta saw a decline.

I am only 16, but when I graduate college I wanna move to the new black mecca. By then (2015) Atlanta will have been dethroned. But by what city?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 11:48 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,359,472 times
its not shrinking; its migrating. to the suburbs.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:15 AM

41 posts, read 223,083 times
cityrover is correct. African-Americans are moving from the city limits of Atlanta to the suburbs. The reasons for this include the fact that many well-to-do people are buying older homes in inner-city neighborhoods of Atlanta and remodeling and upgrading those homes. This is making those neighborhoods look much more attractive and, therefore, property values have been rising significantly. The majority of the black population that has been living in the city in the past cannot afford the more expensive homes. And apartment and home rental costs have also risen. You couple these facts with the fact that the city of Atlanta has been razing low-income, run-down housing in recent years and not replacing that housing with affordable housing for low-income people. The people displaced from that housing cannot afford to live in the the city of Atlanta any longer and are forced to move to the suburbs where there is cheaper housing. I find it interesting that Atlanta's city government is dominated by black elected officials, including the Mayor, and it is actually these black elected officials who are causing lower-income black people to feel that they must move out of the city.

Last edited by American Patriot; 01-02-2009 at 12:19 AM.. Reason: phrasing was incorrect

Old 01-02-2009, 01:31 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,127,015 times
Why do you find it interesting? Because all parties involved are black?

America is becoming a society of the haves and have nots. Race is not the issue, it's class. Well off blacks do not want to be around poor blacks. I do
not find this strange at all......

Well off blacks get burdened with the jopb of having to "take care" of the entire race of blacks when in fact it's not their responsibility. This only happens to blacks. Whites DO NOT get burdened with having to take care of poor whites in rural America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Patriot View Post
cityrover is correct. African-Americans are moving from the city limits of Atlanta to the suburbs. The reasons for this include the fact that many well-to-do people are buying older homes in inner-city neighborhoods of Atlanta and remodeling and upgrading those homes. This is making those neighborhoods look much more attractive and, therefore, property values have been rising significantly. The majority of the black population that has been living in the city in the past cannot afford the more expensive homes. And apartment and home rental costs have also risen. You couple these facts with the fact that the city of Atlanta has been razing low-income, run-down housing in recent years and not replacing that housing with affordable housing for low-income people. The people displaced from that housing cannot afford to live in the the city of Atlanta any longer and are forced to move to the suburbs where there is cheaper housing. I find it interesting that Atlanta's city government is dominated by black elected officials, including the Mayor, and it is actually these black elected officials who are causing lower-income black people to feel that they must move out of the city.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:44 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,765,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Well off blacks get burdened with the jopb of having to "take care" of the entire race of blacks when in fact it's not their responsibility. This only happens to blacks. Whites DO NOT get burdened with having to take care of poor whites in rural America.
I can show you some places in rural Kentucky where that theory gets blown out of the water, as well as other rural areas. Usually instead of a whole group it's more family-by-family though: Where let's say, a smart kid runs away from the trailer park, and makes a good life, then once he does the whole family clan starts showing up with their hands out, etc etc.. but it's common.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:55 AM

I am talking about the entire race not family by family. That's different.

To keep this from becoming another useless CD debate, I'll cease with my responses.

Have a good one

Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I can show you some places in rural Kentucky where that theory gets blown out of the water, as well as other rural areas. Usually instead of a whole group it's more family-by-family though: Where let's say, a smart kid runs away from the trailer park, and makes a good life, then once he does the whole family clan starts showing up with their hands out, etc etc.. but it's common.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:06 AM

11,334 posts, read 25,974,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTat View Post
I am only 16, but when I graduate college I wanna move to the new black mecca. By then (2015) Atlanta will have been dethroned. But by what city?!
Wouldn't it be nice if someday cities could be described as good destinations or places to live without having to consider such things as racial composition?

Old 01-02-2009, 02:08 AM

It would be nice.....but I can certainly understand why people do it.

Don't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Wouldn't it be nice if someday cities could be described as good destinations or places to live without having to consider such things as racial composition?

Old 01-02-2009, 02:19 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,955,838 times
Quote:
I am thinking maybe Charlotte, or Dallas
I have never been to Charlotte but I have been to Dallas and all of the affluent neighborhoods that I saw there were predominantly White, so how can that city be considered a Black mecca when the majority of the wealthy elite there are White.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:44 AM

What side of the city where you on? Many of the Well off blacks live in the southern or far southern burbs of Dallas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
I have never been to Charlotte but I have been to Dallas and all of the affluent neighborhoods that I saw there were predominantly White, so how can that city be considered a Black mecca when the majority of the wealthy elite there are White.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta