Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 09:08 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,107,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The Olympics did a number of good things for Atlanta -- Centennial Olympic Park, clearing up Techwood Homes, Turner Field, the shooting range, etc. However, it did seem like sort of a non-event. Maybe it was just that the pre-Games hype was so overdone. I remember friends who were talking about moving out of the city for a month and renting their houses to the Japanese and things like that.
I was pretty young when the Olympics came to town, but the one memory I have of around that time (it was probably 1995) was my mom talking about renting out our house in Peachtree Corners to Europeans in town for the games. She even had some guy come and take pictures of the inside. My brother was in his teenage angst stage so our room was covered floor-to-ceiling with music posters, Joe Camel ads, and stolen speed limit signs. I used to think that was why it was never rented it out but it seems like the whole thing was just a rumor running around Atlanta at the time - did anyone actually rent their houses out? I have yet to meet anyone who did.

I also remember around that time that my mom was without a car for a little while, and in the mornings we had to go with my dad to drop her off at work in Toco Hills, and then he would drive us to school. The fact that we could drive from Peachtree Corners to Toco Hills and back, during rush hour, and still make it in time for school, just shows you how much worse traffic has gotten since '95. Im pretty sure the Olympics has something to do with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta