Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 06:39 PM

293 posts, read 1,106,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:

I've noticed that too and I'm not even in the program yet...LOL...aww man...

Where is the yard??? Guess I've missed it (I just transferred pretty much)
Yes, it is a great, but challenging, program. I was very well prepared for the whole classroom experience when I graduated. You just do a lot of interning (twice a week in every grade level) and 16 weeks of student teaching (interning and student teaching, unpaid of course which makes it even more difficult).

When I was there, the yard was the area outside of General Classroom Building, Sparks Hall, The Library, Kell Hall...its like a "yard" because it's the outdoor common area where most of these buildings are. It's also right across the way from the Student Center (you walk up the stairs where the yard is and cross the street).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 07:54 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolieandre View Post
It's a really good school, especially if you're a business major b/c you have the city at your hands....The campus is like half of Atlanta, but it's kind of contradictory, b/c you have no campus feel. There are homeless people on campus, and it just seems kinda rough to me in a lot of areas considered "campus". There are a lot of clubs and the AUC and Ga Tech is nearby. The only thing that sucks is Atl clubs close at 2am so it shuts down early... They just built some new dorms, that are really nice, but I don't remember too much b/c I've only been there like twice. Most people rent Apt or townhomes around Atlanta though.... Oh, and the student body is VERY diverse. There are all nationalities present there, and student organizations for all nationalities and groups.
You can walk to the Underground from there if you are daring. The 8 clubs there are open until 4AM

Old 01-07-2009, 08:20 PM

172 posts, read 393,716 times
I graduated from GSU (Robinson School of Business) and still work on campus. I loved it. Even if you don't live in GSU housing, there is a fair amount of non-GSU housing that is basically on campus (Muse's, the Underground Dorms, City Plaza). You don't need to be daring to walk to the Underground. I walk by there late all the time. FYI there are 3 police precincts (MARTA, GSU PD, Fulton Sheriff) within 2 blocks of the Underground and the Capitol PD isn't too far away to make a 4th.

As for the homeless, don't be a jacka** and you'll be fine.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:03 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,710,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Atlanta Peach View Post
When I was there, the yard was the area outside of General Classroom Building, Sparks Hall, The Library, Kell Hall...its like a "yard" because it's the outdoor common area where most of these buildings are. It's also right across the way from the Student Center (you walk up the stairs where the yard is and cross the street).
Gotcha...I'll look later on today...

P.S to everyone: Have they always been this anal about id's @ the library?

I'm guessing it has to do with keeping the homeless out of the building but some of the guards can be down right annoying.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:30 AM

239 posts, read 922,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Gotcha...I'll look later on today...

P.S to everyone: Have they always been this anal about id's @ the library?

I'm guessing it has to do with keeping the homeless out of the building but some of the guards can be down right annoying.
Yes and No.
You do have to swipe your card to get in, and yes they were very particular about this when I was there (01'-05', and 06' for grad school) but the reason is probrably to verify you have paid all of your fees as opposed to keeping out the homeless.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:13 PM

426 posts, read 1,446,411 times
Actually, anyone can use the library, not just those affiliated with GSU, so the ID issue does not have to do with fees. If you don't have an ID, you leave your driver's lisence with the guard. Increased security came about a number of years ago when there was a problem with the bathrooms being used for illicit liasons among those not affiliated with the university.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:29 PM

239 posts, read 922,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumboula View Post
Actually, anyone can use the library, not just those affiliated with GSU, so the ID issue does not have to do with fees. If you don't have an ID, you leave your driver's lisence with the guard. Increased security came about a number of years ago when there was a problem with the bathrooms being used for illicit liasons among those not affiliated with the university.
Ahhhhhh.... I stand corrected. Thanks! But that's a sick thought... the "non affiiliated with the university part". I'm already privy to GSU students using the library for this purpose

Old 01-08-2009, 06:37 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,880 times
The GSU library is open to the public because it partly receives tax-payer money. It does suck that the public that does use it just happens homeless drifter types. But that's really the fault of Atlanta. I wish that our next mayor was a Giuliani-type of mayor, then quality-of-life stuff like this would be nipped in the bud.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:03 PM

131 posts, read 520,886 times
Hi, I'm a student of GSU also, studying in accounting.

I was wondering if anyone here whos attending to GSU has a part time job? Personally I go to school from 8a - 2p, 3 days a week. I'm just working somewhere nearby my house as a pt cashier. Is that normal?

I've met a lot of undergrad at school who have pt jobs...some of them go to work right after school, some of them work full time during the day and work after school. I just wanted to know where everyones got their job offers from as undergrad.

I've tried to use indeed, monsterjobs, etc...but most of them dont cover much for non-experienced, part time, or undergrads. I need some help here

Old 01-14-2009, 01:28 PM

52 posts, read 212,051 times
anyone here earn the MS in Tax? or know someone who did?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta