Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How Should MARTA Balance The Budget
Raise Fares To $2.50 (1st rise in 7 years) 28 63.64%
Eliminate All Sunday Service 5 11.36%
Eliminate Saturday And Sunday Service 0 0%
Eliminate All Service After 7 PM 1 2.27%
Other 11 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 07:23 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,681,860 times

Advertisements

Got to post it, again...

B!!! you ride the marta bus:

YouTube - ***** U RIDE THE MARTA BUS-SWD DRUM MAJORS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 07:25 AM

625 posts, read 1,149,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
The problem is that many in the region turn their back on MARTA which is practically insane.
How can you turn your back on something you didn't help/agree to build in the first place?

Old 01-06-2009, 08:25 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,710,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post
A fare increase is reasonable.

Base fares:

New York: $2 but the MTA wants to raise it
Chicago $2.25 and they charge $0.25 for the first transfer
Dallas: $2.50

Other cities are cheaper but they are subsidized by their states. With the lack of support MARTA gets I am surprised fares are not higher already.
Eeekk, Man, the MTA in Baltimore is just $1.35. They had an uproar back in the '90's when it went from $1.25. LOL.

It is state funded tho and the rail sucks in comparions to ATL....

Old 01-06-2009, 09:35 AM

826 posts, read 3,121,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Well, some of the choices in the poll aren't very practical. I'm not aware of any transit system that doesn't run on Saturdays or after 7pm.

That being said, MARTA needs to switch to a zone fare system, where you pay based on distance traveled. The new Breeze Card tap gate thingies they're using now are actually made to handle this type of system, so you can tap the card as you exit as well as enter. Since a ton of suburbanites ride the trains in during the AM hours, a zone system would put them at about $3.00 or so each way, in line with systems like BART (San Fran), etc. Those only riding a stop or two would pay less than the current fares, etc.

The State would have to start contributing money. The Feds some more money, and the MARTA board would have to have several replacements and be streamlined and redone as it's not run very efficiently.
Word. They need to be more like DC's Metro system in that regards.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:18 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,320,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondandfun View Post
How can you turn your back on something you didn't help/agree to build in the first place?
How can you blatantly ignore the importance of rapid transit while living in a region of over 5 million people?

Old 01-06-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
How can you blatantly ignore the importance of rapid transit while living in a region of over 5 million people?
If it's unprofitable now how is expanding it going to be profitable?

Old 01-06-2009, 10:38 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,320,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondandfun View Post
If it's unprofitable now how is expanding it going to be profitable?
Government services aren't supposed to be profitable.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:40 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,138,296 times
If marta cuts services it will probably be the buses. I cant recall how many empty marta buses i see rolling by all the time. The trains are bad enough as it is running every 10 mins during rush and 15-20 off peak. So any worse and most people that have cars will probably just drive to work unless gas hits $4 again.

A Zone system will not work because many people like me wil not pay $5-6 a day to ride from the end of the line.

One problem with dowtown Atl compared to NYC or DC is that you can still somewhat find a parking spot that wont cost too much. In those cities there is no where to park that wont cost you alot of money, so many people have to take the train.

But Marta also needs to improve on current problems in order to attract more riders.
-After hawks/thrasher games there should not be thousands of people on the platform waiting 15 mins for a train in which they all cant fit on, then have to wait another 15 mins and then have to wait 20 mins for another if they transfer at 5pts.

-For a transit system that runs trains 10 mins apart and has modern trains with most of the old ones refurbed now, that are way too many delays. And alot of buses are late simply because the driver didnt leave the end of the line on time (ive been on many of these in the past), not because of traffic excuse marta claims most of the time.

-And there needs to be more police presence on the trains to tone down the the amount of loud vulgar behavior and beggars on the east/west/south lines. Dont believe that crap about undercover cops on Marta trains, i asked one i knew and they dont do that anymore.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:54 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
One can be critical of an existing mass transit implementation (e.g., MARTA) while still being in favor of mass transit in general.

Even though mass transit doesn't benefit me, for example, I certainly support CCT in Cobb County. I know people who use it, and it seems to work well for them. But I'm a lot less certain about MARTA, which really doesn't go anywhere I need to go in the metro.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:09 AM

Maybe some people support buses and don't support a train? I personally don't understand why we can't have buses going around the perimeter with bus stops on every exit? The infrastructure is there all you have to do is install waiting booths.

Seems to me like the people who run marta who all live in the city want the suburbanites to pay their salary and they don't want to give up their power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta