U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 04:35 PM

719 posts, read 1,446,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
Yes that is what I am asking. How does Atlant afeel about Charlotte??
Ok, fair enough.

Well, by way of response, I know I'm not supposed to get political, but it can't really be helped here in giving my personal answer to this.

Basically, in my view Charlotte has one major thing going for it now, and by now I mean since the 2008 presidential elections, which is the simple fact that it's located in the considerably more progressive state of North Carolina, which voted for Barack Obama along with the rest of the well-educated and affluent parts of the country.

Sorry if you conservatives out there don't like it, but it's a fact. NC for various reasons (historically strong and more socially aware and influential newspapers, a longer tradition of having highly prestigious research institutions/world class universitites) is a more pregressive state and in my opinion that may -- I stress MAY -- give a city like Charlotte a certain edge over Georgia-challenged Atlanta among certain key -- read: highly educated -- and attractive groups of potential residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 04:35 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,122,527 times
Quote:
there are a lot of comparisons everywhere it seems not just this website between Atlanta and Charlotte. I just wanted to see how you guys in ATl really feel about my hometwon.
I hate the Panthers I hope they lose badly this weekend!! Wouldnt mind seeing the Bobcats do well though.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:17 PM

12,917 posts, read 20,985,787 times
I see Charlotte this way...

The American South is a significant region (imagine as a country). Atlanta is the hub/capital of this region (country).

Charlotte, Nashville, New Orleans, and Raleigh/Durham are the main supporting players (second-tier)...each filling a regional niche...but totally subservient to the hub/capital. Under these cities I place Memphis, Birmingham, Richmond, Jacksonville, and Louisville (third-tier). And then fourth-tier, and so on, and so on, and so on...

Old 01-07-2009, 06:22 PM

2,816 posts, read 9,197,290 times
Enjoy Charlotte.
Downtown is nice as I have yet to be panhandled to death.
It is much easier to get around Charlotte now that they have finished the west by-pass.
Oh yes, I also enjoy Greensboro too!

Old 01-07-2009, 08:28 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,658,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy virgo child View Post
charlotte is not even on my radar to care one way or the other.
okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk !!!!!!!!!! This is getting so tired thread after thread about charlotte and atlanta gove it a rest

Old 01-07-2009, 09:09 PM

9,190 posts, read 29,581,870 times
Let 'em have it...

Ok, my take:

I moved to Atlanta in 1984. Back then, MARTA only ran as far North as the Arts Center Station, as far South as West End, and the metro population was only JUST reaching two million people. You could literally drive across the top-end of the perimeter in a few minutes - during a Friday rush hour. Yes.

Charlotte today, very much reminds me of the Atlanta of 1984. Their beltway isn't quite complete, they opted for light rail instead of a MARTA type system, but yes, they are for better or worse, WELL on their way to being the next Atlanta. My guess - in 2030, Charlotte will equal metro Atlanta as it is today, regarding population, sprawl, and yeppers - traffic.

yippie.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:16 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,658,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Let 'em have it...

Ok, my take:

I moved to Atlanta in 1984. Back then, MARTA only ran as far North as the Arts Center Station, as far South as West End, and the metro population was only JUST reaching two million people. You could literally drive across the top-end of the perimeter in a few minutes - during a Friday rush hour. Yes.

Charlotte today, very much reminds me of the Atlanta of 1984. Their beltway isn't quite complete, they opted for light rail instead of a MARTA type system, but yes, they are for better or worse, WELL on their way to being the next Atlanta. My guess - in 2030, Charlotte will equal metro Atlanta as it is today, regarding population, sprawl, and yeppers - traffic.

yippie.
i certainly agree

Old 01-07-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Let 'em have it...

Ok, my take:

yippie.
...and in 2030, Atlanta will be Los Angeles, Sao Paulo, and/or Mexico City as they are today.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:50 AM

93 posts, read 171,673 times
Quote:
there are a lot of comparisons everywhere it seems not just this website between Atlanta and Charlotte. I just wanted to see how you guys in ATl really feel about my hometwon.
people in Atlanta do not obsess over Charlotte the way people in Charlotte obsess over what people in ATL think about them as a city.
Charlotte is just another small southern town to people in ATL. If they think of Charlotte at all they think of Mayberry and Andy Griffith. When I lived in Charlotte the media and people in general ALWAYS said we are another Atlanta, to the point of obsession. We are Atlanta now that we have a NBA team/NFL Team, big tall building in UpTown, , new Wendy's/Taco Bell on Independence Blvd..WE ARE WORLD CLASS LIKE ATLANTA .. etc
Charlotte is not even on the radar to people in Atlanta, they are too obsessed with themselves to think about CLT, they think everyone in Charlotte is a hillbilly . It is just another small city like Birmingham Al as far as people in Atlanta are concerned, that is if they even know Charlotte is in NC and not SC, seems like most people in Atl think CLT is in SC.
When I moved to Atlanta and told people I was from Charlotte they asked me if there were dirt roads in Charlotte, they had no idea, some of them didn't knwo one single thing about Charlotte other than it was maybe up I-75 or I-85 or maybe in South Carolina, or Tenn. or somewhere beyond Alpheretta in the great wilderness of the Non-Atlanta region where there are no flush toilets and no one has any teeth.
Atlanta is just so much bigger than Charlotte that there is no real comparison of the cities.

If you compared Chicago with Atlanta then Atlanta looks like some hicktown. People in chicago are not obsessing over Atlanta or worrying about what people in Atlanta think of Chicago, they think everyone in Atlanta is a hillbilly and just write it off as that.
Same thing with CTL and ATL.
Charlotte will NEVER be as big as Atlanta, as Atlanta will always outgrow Charlotte. Charlotte is about the size Atlanta was in say 1979, but even in 79 Atl had the MARTA

Last edited by DrGonzo33; 01-08-2009 at 01:50 AM..

Old 01-08-2009, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamM View Post
Ok, fair enough.

Well, by way of response, I know I'm not supposed to get political, but it can't really be helped here in giving my personal answer to this.

Basically, in my view Charlotte has one major thing going for it now, and by now I mean since the 2008 presidential elections, which is the simple fact that it's located in the considerably more progressive state of North Carolina, which voted for Barack Obama along with the rest of the well-educated and affluent parts of the country.

Sorry if you conservatives out there don't like it, but it's a fact. NC for various reasons (historically strong and more socially aware and influential newspapers, a longer tradition of having highly prestigious research institutions/world class universitites) is a more pregressive state and in my opinion that may -- I stress MAY -- give a city like Charlotte a certain edge over Georgia-challenged Atlanta among certain key -- read: highly educated -- and attractive groups of potential residents.
Is this something that the Atlanta region should be worried about in the global economy, etc. No matter how progressive Atlanta is, Georgia's image could hurt it.

A more progressive state in a similar climate (sunbelt, warm)...something to think about...

(But remember though, North Carolina'a Obama vote was just 50% and a few more units...Georgia's Obama vote was not far behind at 47%...may not be so dire after all).

(Also, North Carolina has always had a tradition of being a the most (or nearly) "progressive" southern state...the first (or nearly) to industrialize, less dependence on the old plantation economy...there are various reasons for this, but it is not time for a history lesson...and I don't feel like typing anyomore...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or