Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2010, 12:57 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,839,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon704 View Post
I strongly disagree. Go to Adams Morgan in DC or Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica or Ybor City in Tampa and find out for yourself. Maybe you've not had much experience with nightlife in other cities, but you couldn't be more wrong about that. And the fact is that there is energy on the street because there are destinations and venues that draw pedestrians. I could have easily shown clips of venues, but that doesn't speak to the buzz that nightlife creates on the street. When people speak of a city's nightlife, they are generally speaking of synergy on the street that's created by destinations and venues that are within relatively close proximity to each other. That's why Buckhead Village was so popular.

But that was clearly your implication. You spoke about how you felt as though our nightlife in Charlotte was lacking, and then went on to make predictions about Charlotte's future growth. Either you were implying that nightlife causes growth, or your thoughts aren't cohesive.

Charlotte also has the benefits of being a smaller city as well: less crime, less pollution, less congestion, etc. Charlotte also benefits from having a more cordial relationship with its state and from being less balkanized than Charlotte. Those are quality of life aspects as well. But Charlotte isn't your cup of tea, and I get that. No need to go off the deep end of stupidity ("2 skyscrapers in the mix") though. But I think it's a shame that you're not making the most of where you live in the meantime. I know you're something of a tweenybopper, but time is a valuable asset. Using it to lament your present state instead of enjoying it for what it is isn't a wise use of it.
"

I grew up in Miami so trust I know about street activity which I didnt like because I always found myself in the club doing what I like to do best is DANCE... I have been to tampa and I have been to DC and walking up and down a street is just not exciting to me.. When I visit places I want to know what the club scene is like not the street..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 11:54 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,972,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
Wow you took the words RIGHT OUT OF MY MOUTH .....Drive around Charlotte any night around 10pm...and you'd think the city had been evacuated...lol. I actually called a club on Friday night (Bentley's RSVP) in Charlotte and they told me I had to get there at 9pm to enjoy the club....me being from Atlanta I don't arrive at the club until 11:30/12:00...so me being hard headed I got there at 11:00pm...to find droves of people leaving the club at 11:00pm..there was still a line outside..but any club that has about 30-50 people leaving at one time at 11...NO THANKS!!!!...Sad to say but Greensboro and High Point offer better nightlife venues.....and they have to follow the same State Laws so...that's no excuse for Charlotte.

Charlotte is nothing more than a medium city, with medium city amenities. Nothing special about Charlotte whatsoever!! Not bashing just stating the truth. When people think of Charlotte no one goes....ohhh and ahhhh!! I may be alone on this...but I just don't see Charlotte getting any bigger....maybe another 500,000 in the metro..but I think that's it....i don't think Charlotte will ever be on Atlanta's tier.
High Point offers better nightlife venues? I didn't know High Point even had nightlife, it's beyond boring! I work in High Point and I see it all the time, this place is DEAD, nothing going on, I don't even see anyone downtown, except a couple of hookers from time to time! In defense of Charlotte, at least they have an active downtown, if their intown neighborhoods would build up more, I think Charlotte would be a lot better! I would like to see Charlotte's nightlife scene get better, but it's not one thing I obsess over, I'm 37, and it's not a big thing for me. Of course I do go out from time to time, but that is not what determines whether or not I like a city over the other, however, I do understand that is what young folks want, and I do think that is something Charlotte needs to continue improving on, especially if they want to retain young singles!

Old 09-23-2010, 11:59 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon704 View Post

Those videos show what's going on inside certain venues, not what's happening on the street. There's a difference. A venue can be abuzz on the inside, but that doesn't mean that there's a cohesive energy and buzz at the street level. Although Atlanta is still a ngihtlife city, it did take a big blow in that department when Buckhead Village was razed.
There is a myth here that needs to be clarified...Buckhead Village wasn't "razed"...it's still very much there. Many of the problem bars and clubs were closed down, but there are still nearly 100 bars and clubs in Buckhead - so the village is still there AND there is still a very large nightlife, but it isn't the crazy/stupid scene that created such a huge problem in that area.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:03 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
"

I grew up in Miami so trust I know about street activity which I didnt like because I always found myself in the club doing what I like to do best is DANCE... I have been to tampa and I have been to DC and walking up and down a street is just not exciting to me.. When I visit places I want to know what the club scene is like not the street..
DING! DING! DING! DING!

For me, a sidewalk is used to get from point A to point B. That is all.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
I live within a stone's throw of the Georgian Terrace and the Fox Theater, and both are gorgeous landmarks.

I was commenting on skylines, as I stated.
I realize that you were commenting on the skyline of Atlanta...and in that commentary you totally ignored most of the structures of any historical significance. The skyline isn't only made up of the tallest buildings that are visible from a distance - it's made up of midrise structures as well, and those are included in the skyline as well as discussions about the skyline. I would think as an architect you might realize this and have a totally different response to my post reminding you of this fact. Surely you don't think the architecture of a city is judged and defined by the few tallest buildings???

I understand that the Fox isn't a skyline feature, but the other structures I mentioned are - in addition to many other taller historical buildings. These are often overlooked in assessments of Atlanta's skyline, but usually by people who don't know any better. Living within a stone's throw of a beauty like the Georgian Terrace and the Ponce I would assume you aren't one of those people.

Last edited by DeaconJ; 09-23-2010 at 12:48 PM..

Old 09-23-2010, 12:38 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,046,494 times
ok this is getting ridiculous. Since Atlantas down town is oh so much better than Charlottes and ours is completely dead I looked up Downtown Atlanta and Uptown Charlotte on wikipedis and this is what I got:

Uptown Charlotte: 140 Restaurants
50 night spots

Downtown Atlanta: 160 restaurants
35 night spots

But yet Downtown Atlanta completely blows away downtown Charlotte?

Now lets see how Some ATl posters turn this around!

Old 09-23-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
ok this is getting ridiculous. Since Atlantas down town is oh so much better than Charlottes and ours is completely dead I looked up Downtown Atlanta and Uptown Charlotte on wikipedis and this is what I got:

50 night spots

35 night spots

Does it really HAVE to be a pissing contest? I know you may not have started the "mine is bigger than yours" thing, but there is such a thing as not continuing it. Atlanta does have a larger downtown than Charlotte, but as far as whether it's "better" or not is completely subjective. Both cities have some great things to offer and both cities have beautiful areas and both cities are great places to live.

Atlanta would win out if someone is looking for a very large (3 million plus) population and all that it has to offer...but not everyone looks for that. Charlotte would win out if someone is looking for a more medium to large (~2 million) population and all that it has to offer. It's really difficult to compare the two because of the size disparity, but each city obviously offers certain advantages that the other just doesn't. Both are great cities in their own way!

Old 09-23-2010, 12:49 PM

265 posts, read 329,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
There is a myth here that needs to be clarified...Buckhead Village wasn't "razed"...it's still very much there. Many of the problem bars and clubs were closed down, but there are still nearly 100 bars and clubs in Buckhead - so the village is still there AND there is still a very large nightlife, but it isn't the crazy/stupid scene that created such a huge problem in that area.
Point taken, but the net result is essentially the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
DING! DING! DING! DING!

For me, a sidewalk is used to get from point A to point B. That is all.
The sidewalk isn't the center of attraction; it's the clustering and concentration of venues and destinations that give life to the sidewalk. That's what separates the true urban centers from other cities. Why do you think people are attracted to the Magnificent Mile or Broadway or even King Street? Why is Atlanta embarking on its own "Midtown Mile" project? Because they realize the value in creating synergy along the street.

Quote:

50 night spots

35 night spots

Why do you constantly do this? No one said anything about Atlanta's downtown being "oh so much better" than Charlotte's. While downtown Atlanta might not be a nightlife area, it has more attractions than our downtown, a downtown university, and of course we have nothing like Midtown or Buckhead.

At this point, I'm not really seeing the need to continue with this discussion as I don't think there's a point to it anymore; I'm not even sure if there was a point to begin with. Qc dreamin has some weird need for Atlantans to validate Charlotte, while the vast majority of Charlotteans don't feel that way at all. Just like Charlotte doesn't really pay a much smaller city and metro area like Fayetteville any attention, Atlantans aren't paying Charlotte much attention. Why would they when they have everything we have plus a whole lot more? Just remember Atlantans, this guy represents a very, very small minority here in Charlotte, so please don't project his attitude on the rest of us.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:50 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,046,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
Please stop posting exaggeartions on both the Atlanta and Charlotte forum. Please tell your Charlotte co-horts to do the same.
Nobody from Charlotte is exagerrrating since we actually live here not just visit for 1 or 2 days(like on a Monday). If anything you guys are exaggerating especially since you guys either have not spent any real extensive time in the city or you guys might actually be feeling a little bit insecure since Atlanta is no longer the only option to move to in the south. And to the poster who said that Charlotte is not creating new jobs or growing:
I can tell Mike that the real reason you do not like Charlotte is because for whatever reason you weren't accepted here and if your post on c-d- data are any indication than it was probably your attitude. You can not like a place and offer constructive criticism without bashing it. The funny thing is I feel like you and some of your negative cohorts are actually finally happy and are being so ugly to us Charlotteans in this thread because yall catch so much hell form the really big cities like New York, Chicago, La,Philadelphia, and Boston and they actually show Charlotte a lot of love. Feel free to check out the Charlotte forum at anytime to see for yourself.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:00 PM

265 posts, read 329,845 times
Quote:
Nobody from Charlotte is exagerrrating since we actually live here not just visit for 1 or 2 days(like on a Monday). If anything you guys are exaggerating especially since you guys either have not spent any real extensive time in the city or you guys might actually be feeling a little bit insecure since Atlanta is no longer the only option to move to in the south. And to the poster who said that Charlotte is not creating new jobs or growing:
I can tell Mike that the real reason you do not like Charlotte is because for whatever reason you weren't accepted here and if your post on c-d- data are any indication than it was probably your attitude. You can not like a place and offer constructive criticism without bashing it. The funny thing is I feel like you and some of your negative cohorts are actually finally happy and are being so ugly to us Charlotteans in this thread because yall catch so much hell form the really big cities like New York, Chicago, La,Philadelphia, and Boston and they actually show Charlotte a lot of love. Feel free to check out the Charlotte forum at anytime to see for yourself.
Let me ask you a question: why does it matter so much to you what Atlantans think about Charlotte? Why is it so important to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta