U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 10:55 AM

1,974 posts, read 3,068,790 times

Advertisements

ah, dont make me homesick about my nola~! Atlanta should really try to make a Po-Boy right

I don't really think anything about Charlotte, seen some pictures but nothing bad to say. I may visit one day for a weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 11:10 AM

719 posts, read 1,446,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGonzo33 View Post
people in Atlanta do not obsess over Charlotte the way people in Charlotte obsess over what people in ATL think about them as a city.
Charlotte is just another small southern town to people in ATL. If they think of Charlotte at all they think of Mayberry and Andy Griffith. When I lived in Charlotte the media and people in general ALWAYS said we are another Atlanta, to the point of obsession. We are Atlanta now that we have a NBA team/NFL Team, big tall building in UpTown, , new Wendy's/Taco Bell on Independence Blvd..WE ARE WORLD CLASS LIKE ATLANTA .. etc
Charlotte is not even on the radar to people in Atlanta, they are too obsessed with themselves to think about CLT, they think everyone in Charlotte is a hillbilly . It is just another small city like Birmingham Al as far as people in Atlanta are concerned, that is if they even know Charlotte is in NC and not SC, seems like most people in Atl think CLT is in SC.
When I moved to Atlanta and told people I was from Charlotte they asked me if there were dirt roads in Charlotte, they had no idea, some of them didn't knwo one single thing about Charlotte other than it was maybe up I-75 or I-85 or maybe in South Carolina, or Tenn. or somewhere beyond Alpheretta in the great wilderness of the Non-Atlanta region where there are no flush toilets and no one has any teeth.
Atlanta is just so much bigger than Charlotte that there is no real comparison of the cities.
Ah, I knew there was a reason we keep coming back to this conversation over and over!!!!

The Charlotte folks can't bear the fact that its big cousin Atlanta completely ignores it and flicks it aside like a gnat, trying to get a better view of the ranks of the REAL big boys it wants to join, the bigger cities.

We don't need no stinkin Charlotte!
We got the Games man. The Games!!!
Don't talk to me about no two-horse upstart Mayberry town man!
We got bigger fish to fry!!!

Get out of my face with that Charlotte wannabe small fry!!
We got de games!!

Ok, how's that? Does that help? Does that answer your original question for this thread?

Old 01-08-2009, 03:33 PM

341 posts, read 1,199,716 times
Quote:
people in Atlanta do not obsess over Charlotte the way people in Charlotte obsess over what people in ATL think about them as a city.
Charlotte is just another small southern town to people in ATL. If they think of Charlotte at all they think of Mayberry and Andy Griffith. When I lived in Charlotte the media and people in general ALWAYS said we are another Atlanta, to the point of obsession. We are Atlanta now that we have a NBA team/NFL Team, big tall building in UpTown, , new Wendy's/Taco Bell on Independence Blvd..WE ARE WORLD CLASS LIKE ATLANTA .. etc
Charlotte is not even on the radar to people in Atlanta, they are too obsessed with themselves to think about CLT, they think everyone in Charlotte is a hillbilly . It is just another small city like Birmingham Al as far as people in Atlanta are concerned, that is if they even know Charlotte is in NC and not SC, seems like most people in Atl think CLT is in SC.
When I moved to Atlanta and told people I was from Charlotte they asked me if there were dirt roads in Charlotte, they had no idea, some of them didn't knwo one single thing about Charlotte other than it was maybe up I-75 or I-85 or maybe in South Carolina, or Tenn. or somewhere beyond Alpheretta in the great wilderness of the Non-Atlanta region where there are no flush toilets and no one has any teeth.
Atlanta is just so much bigger than Charlotte that there is no real comparison of the cities.

If you compared Chicago with Atlanta then Atlanta looks like some hicktown. People in chicago are not obsessing over Atlanta or worrying about what people in Atlanta think of Chicago, they think everyone in Atlanta is a hillbilly and just write it off as that.
Same thing with CTL and ATL.
Charlotte will NEVER be as big as Atlanta, as Atlanta will always outgrow Charlotte. Charlotte is about the size Atlanta was in say 1979, but even in 79 Atl had the MARTA

Couldnt have said it better myself. Atlanta people are not checkin for Charlotte like that. Bottom line, close the thread and never make another one again.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:56 PM

4,993 posts, read 5,749,036 times
Quote:
Interesting point. You know it reminds me that another factor here is the difference in NC with having two different and decidedly mid-sized metros like Charlotte and the Triangle, growing rather more slowly, creating a situation which might have been able to better diffuse the ire of the backwoods rubes better than in GA where you had a runaway metropolis poised to someday become another Chicago.

Great point about the progressive mantle clearly going back towards the mid-Atlantic part of the South, which became crystal clear in November. I had always thought Georgia (having Atlanta) would become the de-facto progressive Southern state (and live up to its state nickname), but no more. Somehow progressiveness metastacized in the South via DC and down through the NC metros, instead of Atlanta. Too bad. That's a real missed opportunity. In my view
Yeah I tend to agree. I think the combination of schools, banks, and relatively closer proximity to Northern cities like DC made that state a logical place for transplants. Obviously Atlanta has a large amount of transplants, but the dynamics are different and once you get outside of Atlanta, GA is largely, solidly, old school Southern and conservative.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:21 PM

2,531 posts, read 5,324,837 times
Also, the Triangle has an employee base that attracts "brainy" people with the Research Triangle Park's pharma and biotech industries. And a highly educated population.

Northern VA suffers through the same type of "us-vs.-them, let's screw them over mentality" from the rest of VA that Metro Atlanta does with the rest of Georgia, BUT you have large cities in other parts of the VA that help diffuse it.

I still don't understand why people come to a metropolitan area of 5 million people and think that they can duplicate their small-town lifestyle.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:57 PM

1,368 posts, read 1,571,920 times
I think the question has been pretty well answered but I'll add one more.

I view Charlotte as another nice growing southern city. I think most people here view it the same way assuming they are even aware of it. I know that probably sounds strange to people from Charlotte but I myself knew nothing about Charlotte until I was there in 2006. I knew the banks were there, I knew it was in NC and thats about it. There is just not this sense of a rivalry between the cities in Atlanta that exists in Charlotte.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:37 PM

313 posts, read 1,123,063 times
I like the light rail in Charlotte.

also that Charlotte has the opportunity to learn from the mistakes and accomplishments of Atlanta...

and I like the light rail.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:14 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,804,322 times
Quote:

If you compared Chicago with Atlanta then Atlanta looks like some hicktown. People in chicago are not obsessing over Atlanta or worrying about what people in Atlanta think of Chicago, they think everyone in Atlanta is a hillbilly and just write it off as that.
Same thing with CTL and ATL.
Charlotte will NEVER be as big as Atlanta, as Atlanta will always outgrow Charlotte. Charlotte is about the size Atlanta was in say 1979, but even in 79 Atl had the MARTA
What?!?! Atlantans do not see Charlotte as some hicktown and we don't feel the Charlotte folks are beneath us, we're better than that. Really, ATL was in Charlotte's shoes not long ago so why would we just dismiss your hometown like that. Atlantans know that your city is in Norh Carolina and is actually a good sized metro area; I think QC 2.0's better than B'Ham (I have never been to Alabama). If you go over to the Charlotte forum you see a bunch NY/NJ people who's moving there so I think most of NC will turn into NJ 2.0 (just kidding but I know Charlotte's transient).

Old 01-08-2009, 06:33 PM

719 posts, read 1,446,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
There is just not this sense of a rivalry between the cities in Atlanta that exists in Charlotte.
This is starting to become a more interesting thread. I'm learning something here. I really wasn't aware that Charlotte had a bit of an inferiority complex towards Atlanta, but of course it makes sense given where they are on the growth curve.

Of course there's no real sense of a rivalry from Atlanta's perspective. But from Charlotte's perspective, I'm sure it's entirely different. One additional reason for lack of rivalry from the Atlanta side is, as another poster has since pointed out, it's so full of transplants from outside the South for whom Charl. is simply a non-factor. But I would suspect something similar is beginning to happen even in Charlotte with there being more and more transplants there too.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:15 PM

7,848 posts, read 17,815,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamM View Post
This is starting to become a more interesting thread. I'm learning something here. I really wasn't aware that Charlotte had a bit of an inferiority complex towards Atlanta, but of course it makes sense given where they are on the growth curve.

Of course there's no real sense of a rivalry from Atlanta's perspective. But from Charlotte's perspective, I'm sure it's entirely different. One additional reason for lack of rivalry from the Atlanta side is, as another poster has since pointed out, it's so full of transplants from outside the South for whom Charl. is simply a non-factor. But I would suspect something similar is beginning to happen even in Charlotte with there being more and more transplants there too.
It certainly isn't about transplants from outside of the South...but transplants from the South, particularly North and South Carolina, don't necessarily view Charlotte as a non-factor - but more as big city on a smaller scale than Atlanta. I don't think it is really considered a rivalry from the perspective of most Atlantans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or