U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-08-2009, 08:22 PM
 
719 posts, read 1,446,367 times
Reputation: 220

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I don't think it is really considered a rivalry from the perspective of most Atlantans.
I can almost guarantee it. I don't think I've ever heard any comparison between the two cities in all my years here in Atlanta (until just recently while following this bloody forum! ).

Now take Atlanta vs. Chicago, for ex. and that's different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-08-2009, 08:55 PM
 
2,758 posts, read 4,801,442 times
Reputation: 1108
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Also, the Triangle has an employee base that attracts "brainy" people with the Research Triangle Park's pharma and biotech industries. And a highly educated population.

Northern VA suffers through the same type of "us-vs.-them, let's screw them over mentality" from the rest of VA that Metro Atlanta does with the rest of Georgia, BUT you have large cities in other parts of the VA that help diffuse it.

I still don't understand why people come to a metropolitan area of 5 million people and think that they can duplicate their small-town lifestyle.
That's one thing I don't like about this state. Your Ohios, Cali's, Txs, PAs, and MDs all have at least two large metros but we get screwed by the rest of GA. I look at Savannah and and I wish that they were a big metro too, that would be remarkable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2009, 09:18 PM
 
Location: Triangle, North Carolina
2,816 posts, read 9,195,114 times
Reputation: 1494
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Slight correction, Georgia. The Northern arc of the beltline (North of I-85) is still not complete.

The only reason Charlotte's pop is almost up to 700,000 is the incredibly easy annexation laws of North Carolina. The City of Charlotte is much larger than the City of Atlanta in area.

That being said, I do believe Charlotte is trying to learn from a lot of our mistakes. Anyone that hasn't been lately would absolutely be blown away by the differences in our Downtowns (or, Uptown as Charlotte strangely calls theirs). Uptown Charlotte is almost spotlessly clean, booming in all quadrants around the core, home to a growing and diverse mix of bars and restaurants and a population that really seems to be embracing an urban lifestyle. The panhandling issue there is almost non-starter compared to our situation.

Bottom line, Charlotte is doing a lot of things right - but they will never surpass Atlanta is size or importance IMO.
I was just on the Northern Arc which took me from South of Billy Graham Blvd all the way around to the 23 mile marker north of 85. Just opened the week before Christmas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2009, 09:28 PM
 
142 posts, read 181,721 times
Reputation: 204
I love this argument. Atlanta VS. Charlotte. This would have been revelent 10 years ago when Atlanta really offered something more. Charlotte is no longer looking south for a urban model but 600 miles to the North at New York City. Charlotte is still the second largest financial center in the nation. Most don't understand the mindset of the movers and shakers in this town. There model for the urban Core within the 277 loop is Manhattan definitely not Peachtree Street. I have lived in other towns but this is one of the few places you can have a Waterfront Home in a country club community and within 30 minutes leave it enter your urban highrise condo to enjoy a night at a fine restaurant, theater and late night club without being filthy rich. I know because I am a long way from being filthy rich. My two favorite big cities are NYC and San Francisco but I would not want to live in either one because I could not afford the lifestyle I have in Charlotte. Charlotte is still undiscovered I hope it remains that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2009, 09:47 PM
 
719 posts, read 1,446,367 times
Reputation: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by crider View Post
I love this argument. Atlanta VS. Charlotte. This would have been revelent 10 years ago when Atlanta really offered something more. Charlotte is no longer looking south for a urban model but 600 miles to the North at New York City.
The problem with your argument is that Atlanta does offer something more than Charlotte. Quite a bit more. It's almost three times the size of Charlotte.

There are things that a metro of 6 million can offer that are hard for a smaller one to offer (when we're talking about places that are otherwise basically similar in culture, history and structure).

As far as Charlotte's status as 2nd banking city. I have to say, I've never really found that real convincing. It's sort of like Atlanta arguing that because it has the tallest buildings outside NY/Chi that that in and of itself ensures its place among the big dogs. It's kind of an interesting fact, but it only goes so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2009, 10:43 PM
 
1,303 posts, read 1,658,050 times
Reputation: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamM View Post
The problem with your argument is that Atlanta does offer something more than Charlotte. Quite a bit more. It's almost three times the size of Charlotte.

There are things that a metro of 6 million can offer that are hard for a smaller one to offer (when we're talking about places that are otherwise basically similar in culture, history and structure).

As far as Charlotte's status as 2nd banking city. I have to say, I've never really found that real convincing. It's sort of like Atlanta arguing that because it has the tallest buildings outside NY/Chi that that in and of itself ensures its place among the big dogs. It's kind of an interesting fact, but it only goes so far.


Thats usually the first thing they say there the number 2 banking city ok we got that point in the other 9 charlotte vs atlanta forumers ok so whats next
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2009, 11:00 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 29,784,428 times
Reputation: 7238
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
Thats usually the first thing they say there the number 2 banking city ok we got that point in the other 9 charlotte vs atlanta forumers ok so whats next
and the first thing you guys say is you have the busiest airport in the world
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2009, 11:06 PM
 
1,303 posts, read 1,658,050 times
Reputation: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
and the first thing you guys say is you have the busiest airport in the world
and first thing texas people say we are more Diverse or Texas medical center . Now we can go back and forth if you like since you wanna quote everything i right
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2009, 11:46 PM
 
Location: Dallas
1,366 posts, read 2,241,325 times
Reputation: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
and first thing texas people say we are more Diverse or Texas medical center . Now we can go back and forth if you like since you wanna quote everything i right
don't forget 2nd largest arts district with most seats per capita haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 12:21 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
4,679 posts, read 8,245,357 times
Reputation: 1960
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondandfun View Post
They ain't got nothin we don't got dat betta
Possibly better schools ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top