Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2010, 06:53 PM

1,582 posts, read 2,185,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
I think we all would agree that Atlanta is more a peer city/metro to places like Dallas and Houston than Charlotte. Yet the number of Fortune 500 companies based in Atlanta is more in line with Charlotte than either of those places. Dallas and Houston’s metros both have approximately double the number as Atlanta. Again, Atlanta has roughly the same as Charlotte. It is, what it is. You Atlanta people shouldn’t be so defensive.
I think you Charlotte people shouldn't be so defensive. The thread was created by asking what Atlantans thought of Charlotte and look how long it has remained active with frequent defensive comments from Charlotteans .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 09:21 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,797,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
I think you Charlotte people shouldn't be so defensive. The thread was created by asking what Atlantans thought of Charlotte and look how long it has remained active with frequent defensive comments from Charlotteans .
Thats because the question was asked by a Charlottan under a false guise of just simple inquisitiveness but in reality is nothing more than a forum to be...well defensive.Also an attempt at trying to change the minds of Atlantan's who have valid good reasons to feel they way they do but yet those reasons are just not accepted by the O.P. or the some of the other naive(or blind) Charlotte boosters.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:40 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,841,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
I agree. The Atlanta Forum definitely practices the 1st Amendment.

Between NC,TX ,N.O and NE posters they all pile up in Atlanta forum to tell us about ourselves.. They say what they want and leave.. Yet you rarely see us in there rooms telling them about there city and what they need to improve etc but we get called defensive and sensitive when we try to correct some misinformed information.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:24 PM

235 posts, read 344,468 times
I thought it was already decided long ago in this thread that Atlanta people don't really feel much of anything about Charlotte? I mean, we know it's there and all, but Charlotte benefits a whole lot more from its proximity to Atlanta than the other way around. Charlotte is a nice city but it's nowhere near what Atlanta is. WAIT A MINUTE! I swear I've uttered those same words in threads about Atlanta vs. New Orleans, Nashville, Cincinnati, Denver, Orlando, and on and on and on. You people who keep arguing that your city is as good as Atlanta are just making Atlanta look all that much better, you realize right?

Old 10-15-2010, 10:31 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
Between NC,TX ,N.O and NE posters they all pile up in Atlanta forum to tell us about ourselves.. They say what they want and leave.. Yet you rarely see us in there rooms telling them about there city and what they need to improve etc but we get called defensive and sensitive when we try to correct some misinformed information.
^^^ Rarely? How about never. Who has time to troll through other city boards picking fights with people? I rarely go into another state / city room unless I'm looking for something specific. But it appears hundreds of C-D regulars have Atlanta bookmarked and their weapons are always cocked and loaded ...

Old 10-16-2010, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
^^^ Rarely? How about never. Who has time to troll through other city boards picking fights with people? I rarely go into another state / city room unless I'm looking for something specific. But it appears hundreds of C-D regulars have Atlanta bookmarked and their weapons are always cocked and loaded ...

Right !!!! What's the need too??? 70 percent of the post in Atlanta forum come from outsiders.. We spend 80 percent of the time posting things to defend Atlanta.. Not calling any names but there are a few posters who spend alot of time I the Atlanta forum.. I wonder why the funny part is when we make a thread on something negative they chime in real heavy.. When there is something positive you never see the outsiders.. Just like the thread about the street car project.. As much as people complain about Atlantas transportation issues, you think they would chime in... As long as Atlanta is down there happy..

Old 10-16-2010, 12:59 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
Atlanta is a city of transplants, including myself. I remember back 10 years ago when half the license plates on the roads were from out-of-state. I don't have a car now, so I'm not sure if this is still the case. Georgia's highway patrol might have started enforcing the 30 or 60 day registration switchover grace periods, thus ending this phoenomen of SO MANY out-of-state plates on metro area highways.

Comparing "How Things are Done" in other states is unavoidable, and Georgia lags behind most other states in terms of local and state authority functioning for the betterment of the state and its citizens. Much can be learned from debates like these, i.e. make EVERYTHING about metro Atlanta better than anywhere else in the southeast.

Trust me, Raleigh-Durham (NC native) residents are tired of hearing how things are done (better) "back in NewYork or New Jersey".

I only want great things for Atlanta, and I apologize for boasting about NC's greatness in this Charlotte vs.Atlanta thread. None of my posts are intended to defend Charlotte in any way, other than it's got an elegant, albeit small, skyline.

If anyone wants to start a "Georgia vs. Other States" thread, I'll be happy to participate.

Let's kick things off with this challenge: "Things Georgia Does Better compared with how they do it in other states..."

1) Nathan Deal's 8% lead in governor's race by use of gay-baiting, fear-mongering tv ads, pandering to society's least educated. Not many other states could have this currently playing out.

OR:

Find ALL of the mistakes in this recently-erected GDOT signage:

Now, can anyone find ANY mistake on this recently-erected NCDOT signage?

Last edited by architect77; 10-16-2010 at 01:21 AM..

Old 10-16-2010, 01:42 AM

What is your obsession with the highways and streets.. ??? Can u please find another argument.. Let's celebrate the things Atlanta has accompolished we have heard these tideous arguments about what needs to fix.. Let's move onto something more positive in This thread for a change... Every city has there issues. Why don't u write a letter to the DOT stateing your solutions to fixing the roads, instead of jumping on here every 2 days telling us about it like we can fix it.. It hasnt stopped anyone from relocating here as u can see the metro of Atlanta is still swelling..

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Atlanta is a city of transplants, including myself. I remember back 10 years ago when half the license plates on the roads were from out-of-state. I don't have a car now, so I'm not sure if this is still the case. Georgia's highway patrol might have started enforcing the 30 or 60 day registration switchover grace periods, thus ending this phoenomen of SO MANY out-of-state plates on metro area highways.

Comparing "How Things are Done" in other states is unavoidable, and Georgia lags behind most other states in terms of local and state authority functioning for the betterment of the state and its citizens. Much can be learned from debates like these, i.e. make EVERYTHING about metro Atlanta better than anywhere else in the southeast.

Trust me, Raleigh-Durham (NC native) residents are tired of hearing how things are done (better) "back in NewYork or New Jersey".

I only want great things for Atlanta, and I apologize for boasting about NC's greatness in this Charlotte vs.Atlanta thread. None of my posts are intended to defend Charlotte in any way, other than it's got an elegant, albeit small, skyline.

If anyone wants to start a "Georgia vs. Other States" thread, I'll be happy to participate.

Let's kick things off with this challenge: "Things Georgia Does Better compared with how they do it in other states..."

1) Nathan Deal's 8% lead in governor's race by use of gay-baiting, fear-mongering tv ads, pandering to society's least educated. Not many other states could have this currently playing out.

OR:

Find ALL of the mistakes in this recently-erected GDOT signage:

Now, can anyone find ANY mistake on this recently-erected NCDOT signage?

Old 10-16-2010, 02:12 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
I don't see anything wrong with either one of those signs ... Georgia considers an A-B exit as TWO exits and North Carolina as one? Is that the mistake?! WHATEVER!

And to answer your question:
1. Georgia's HOPE scholarship is the envy of the nation.
2. The University System of Georgia's approach to managing public colleges and universities via a single Board of Regents, rather than competing campus interests as is common in most states, is the envy of the nation.
3. Georgia's tax incentives for film/TV production are the envy of the nation.
4. Georgia's all-electronic voting process is the envy of the nation.
5. The Port of Savannah is the envy of the nation.
6. Georgia's excellent highways are the envy of the nation.
7. Georgia's state park system is the envy of the nation.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:20 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,868,193 times
Those are all good things obviously, but I'm not sure about them being the "envy of the nation." I seriously doubt LA, Houston, NYC, etc. envies Savannah's port or that NYC, LA, Miami, etc. envies tax incentives for film production. But if you're just using that term for effect, I see what you're getting at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta