U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2009, 10:50 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,687,514 times

Advertisements

oh and by the way I will check out that farmers market!! that sounds like a good idea!!. And by the way i actually really like Atlanta I just miss the amenities of Charlotte!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 11:21 AM

20,962 posts, read 32,944,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
ok for the record record when i started this thread threre was not supposed to be a backlash but now i am coming to my home towns defense. I do not understand why u guys are being so negative against Charlotte . i am really starting to think that Atlanta is threatened by Charlottes presence. The funny thing is you guys swear that nobody in Atlanta thinks about Charlotte but according to staistcis the top relocation spot for Atlanta natives is Charlotte!!. I can not drive through Atlanta without meeting at 5 people who are from Charlotte or who is thinking of moving there. I mean come on somebody called Charlotte a hick town?? Lets keep it real. NBA,NFL,Nascar, 10 universities, Nascar Hall of Fame, 10 busiest airport in the world, ranked # 4 in number of fortune 500 headquarters, 3rd largest financial city in world, ACC basketball and foot ball championships, 2 college bowl games, Fastest growing city on eastcoast, 4th largest urban area in United States(yes,bigger than Atlanta!!), ranked 3rd best city for African-Americans, rated #1 city by relocate america(2008). Damn can yall stop the HATIN!!!
Um...right back at you?
Can't quite understand the tone of this response...I reviewed this thread and the majority of the responses by Atlantans regarding Charlotte seem to be supportive. In the scheme of American cities, Charlotte ranks quite high IMO. And frankly the idea of Atlantans losing sleep over the existence of Charlotte has given me a big chuckle.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:01 PM

360 posts, read 852,036 times
QC: It should only matter if you (and your family) like a place. I like Charlotte. A lot. If matters not to me whether people in Atlanta do or don't.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:57 PM

2,816 posts, read 9,201,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
and the first thing you guys say is you have the busiest airport in the world
Hey! we have the busiest airport in the World!

Old 01-10-2009, 02:50 PM

719 posts, read 1,447,027 times
Quote:
ok for the record record when i started this thread threre was not supposed to be a backlash but now i am coming to my home towns defense. I do not understand why u guys are being so negative against Charlotte . i am really starting to think that Atlanta is threatened by Charlottes presence. The funny thing is you guys swear that nobody in Atlanta thinks about Charlotte but according to staistcis the top relocation spot for Atlanta natives is Charlotte!!. I can not drive through Atlanta without meeting at 5 people who are from Charlotte or who is thinking of moving there. I mean come on somebody called Charlotte a hick town?? Lets keep it real. NBA,NFL,Nascar, 10 universities, Nascar Hall of Fame, 10 busiest airport in the world, ranked # 4 in number of fortune 500 headquarters, 3rd largest financial city in world, ACC basketball and foot ball championships, 2 college bowl games, Fastest growing city on eastcoast, 4th largest urban area in United States(yes,bigger than Atlanta!!), ranked 3rd best city for African-Americans, rated #1 city by relocate america(2008). Damn can yall stop the HATIN!!!
Dreamin, I'm starting to wonder whether you need Atlanta to be threatened by Charlotte's presence.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:52 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,659,771 times
Quote:
No one is Hating on Charlotte. We are bringing Facts what Charlotte is doing we have already Done years ago in a bigger way. Hositng the Olympics, 4 major league teams hosting 2 super bowls and NBA all star game Largest aqaurium in the world, buisest Airport in the World. # 5th in the country for fortune 500 companies. I think 5th or 6th mot visited places in the country #1 place for African Americans Home to the most black owned buisnesses.etc i could go on. All this downtown charlotte over downtown atlanta is about the only thing (in my opinion ) they have over atlanta i would agree on that too, But i would take Midtown Atlanta (def when the midtown mile is finished) over charlotte downtown. Ill take Buckhead over South Park They dont have anything like Atlantic station close to downtown. Ill take Matra over lynx. etc No one is Hating on charlotte we just bringing facts.Everyone likes what they like you like Charlotte i like Atlanta point Blank. Atlanta is larger (Total region) with more amenities and offerings. We are more establshed city than Charlotte I think the developments that are going on in atlanta will alot better than whats going on in charlotte sorry just my opinion. After staying in charlotte for 6 months I had to come back to atlanta because it was to slow for my taste

Atlanta is a thriving city. I am beginning to think people really like Atlanta because there are more vs atlanta threads on this forum than any other city. I think charlotte is moving into a wonderful direction but I also think Atlanta is moving towards a better one. With Atlantic Station, Midtown Mile ( Saks and Apple store are rumored to be at 12th and midtown development) . streets of buckhead, And the Old MAcys project. Atlanta will have that big urbancore right in midtown. I believe Midtown will be our party play and work district while Downtown stays buisness district here is some of the articles about this development.

Midtown Mile
‚€˜Midtown Mile‚€™ anchor pushing forward - San Antonio Business Journal:

Old Macys building Project
Downtown Macy's retail space has a new owner | Business Insider | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/businessinsider/entries/2008/07/15/downtown_macys_building_has_a.html - broken link)

Streets of BUckhead
Streets of Buckhead - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[+] Rate this post positively

Last edited by atlantaATL; 01-10-2009 at 03:00 PM..

Old 01-12-2009, 05:11 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,687,514 times
No' I actually posted the thread because I was curious about what you guys actually think and I was hoping to get answers in a positive manner, not be called a hick town. Yes, when I am in NC i always hear about Charlotte and Atl being compared . When I am in ATl I always run into somebody who is interested into moving to Charlotte. When I started this thread I really did not mean for infighting at all. Like I stated before I actually like the ATl alot.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:24 PM

395 posts, read 471,169 times
qc,

Take this from a poster who likes BOTH cities for what they are.

When I'm "home" in Charlotte, I notice the locals I interact with always use ATL as a point of reference. For instance, the first time I was in SouthPark, the Charlotte-based friend said to me, "this is like our Buckhead." We usually grab food/drink at 300 East and they have said more than once, "this is like Virginia-Highland." North Davidson = L5P. I might not remember all the associations correctly, but I do know that it never fails to happen.

I've never heard an Atlantan do that in reverse... "this is our version of <insert Charlotte place> here." With that said, I have to agree with the other posters who stated that it's not really on the radar in an urban-competition sense.

I have heard the comparisons of Charlotte's "Uptown" to Atlanta's midtown - new, shiny, glass skyscrapers, street-level retail, walkability, etc. That's a good thing because both areas are very nice. It's usually said in a derogatory sense though, as if to say, "your entire Uptown looks like one of our many districts." Not good, but I've heard it.

The thing I don't understand about most of the posts I read comparing cities: Do people think all cities should be clones of one another? Same population, layout, features, density? That's what these forums often suggest.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:47 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,659,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold15 View Post
qc,

Take this from a poster who likes BOTH cities for what they are.

When I'm "home" in Charlotte, I notice the locals I interact with always use ATL as a point of reference. For instance, the first time I was in SouthPark, the Charlotte-based friend said to me, "this is like our Buckhead." We usually grab food/drink at 300 East and they have said more than once, "this is like Virginia-Highland." North Davidson = L5P. I might not remember all the associations correctly, but I do know that it never fails to happen.

I've never heard an Atlantan do that in reverse... "this is our version of <insert Charlotte place> here." With that said, I have to agree with the other posters who stated that it's not really on the radar in an urban-competition sense.

I have heard the comparisons of Charlotte's "Uptown" to Atlanta's midtown - new, shiny, glass skyscrapers, street-level retail, walkability, etc. That's a good thing because both areas are very nice. It's usually said in a derogatory sense though, as if to say, "your entire Uptown looks like one of our many districts." Not good, but I've heard it.

The thing I don't understand about most of the posts I read comparing cities: Do people think all cities should be clones of one another? Same population, layout, features, density? That's what these forums often suggest.

No they shoudnt with that said alot of people in Charlotte want some of charlottes area to be like Atlanta areas. I think Every city should have something unique and different. Just like everyone feels like the buildings should be tacked all together. Atlanta is Different it has a linear skyline that sets its self apart from other citys. I think we have the most unique set of buildings in that skyline and it leaves Room for more SKyscrapers to come. Its seems like people want atlanta to be DC NYC PHILLY BOSTON and LA because they always shove those citys down our throats. My things is Everyone Praises NYC and never talk about its faults. But these Charlotte and Atlanta comparision should not be made Atlanta is 20 years ahead of Charlotte

Old 01-13-2009, 12:14 AM

51 posts, read 140,579 times
Its good that the likes of Boston, Chicago, and Philadelphia are shoved down our throats; rather than the likes of Charlotte, Nashville, Phoenix or Memphis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or