Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2010, 01:20 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,803,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
The rest is pretty much"hicksville" - Gastonia/most of Gaston County, Concord, Kannapolis (the NC Research Park hasn't done much yet as it's still pretty scary), Rock Hill, Monroe, Lincoln County, Lancaster/parts of Fort Mill/Indian Land, parts of Mooresville. You cannot compare these places to Marietta, Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Roswell, Alpharetta, Duluth, Suwanee, Lawrenceville, Johns Creek, Smyrna/Vinings, Decatur, Peachtree City, and even Kennesaw, some parts of Cherokee County (Woodstock, Holly Springs, Town Lake are nice), Southern Forsyth/Cumming, Buford/Lake Lanier area.
OK, as one who has lived in Rock Hill, now lives in Charlotte, has worked in the Fort Mill/Indian Land panhandle of Lancaster county, has visited Atlanta often, and is moving to Cherokee County in a week (Canton to be exact), I think I'm qualified to respond here. I will say that Gaston County is indeed a bit hickish, but Belmont is a quaint little town, and is actually the home of a Roman Catholic college (there used to be another one which was all female, but it closed in 1987). Concord is cool around its most developed area--Concord Mills and Lowes Motor Speedway, but is otherwise a bit country. Rock Hill isn't really "hicksville," thanks largely to having a midsized university (my alma mater, Winthrop University); it reminds me of a slightly larger Conyers. Fort Mill is pure suburbia and is quickly being overtaken by Northerners, so it's mostly lost its hickish qualities; a little bit of it is left in the more rural areas, but those are being quickly developed also. Indian Land is Ballantyne South and is also losing its hickish qualities, but things can devolve a bit quickly the further south you travel on 521. I think some of the surrounding areas in Charlotte can be compared to those in eastern Gwinnett (Suwanee, parts of Lawrenceville), Conyers, Woodstock/Canton, Douglasville, and places like those which constitute the outer suburbs of metro Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 06:31 PM

3,656 posts, read 3,911,416 times
Wow, I just looked at 2009 state populations, and Georgia is 9.8 million, significantly ahead of NC's 9.3 million.

I was wrong, for the record....

Old 09-18-2010, 07:55 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,142,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamM View Post
Are you saying "redneck" and "southern" are strictly equivalent?
Nope, not at all. I've known rednecks from New Hampshire and upstate New York. There is more of a tendency for the rural and less affluent southerners (which usually also equates to less educated) to equal redneck though, just based on culture and history.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:22 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,739,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
What am I doing wasting my time here?

Go look at your circle, augusta ain't in it.
Hicksville/rednecks are subjective terms.

Georgia is the greatest state on the planet! Go Nathan Deal! (Gays, we hate you!)
Augusta?What does that have to do wit the burbs in Atlanta?
Yes but North Carolina had Jessie Helms.Nathan can NEVER be as hateful as that man.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:39 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,142,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamM View Post
I've often marveled at the striking non-Southernness of the accents you hear walking into a random business in say an Alpharetta or a Lawrenceville or parts of East Cobb (and nowadays sometimes even in formerly more "redneck" Kennesaw). If you helicoptered someone blindfolded into a random Starbucks in Sandy Springs or Alpharetta without telling them where they were, I don't know how anyone could tell they weren't in central New Jersey or Ohio, etc.
You're stretching what is a valid point just a tad, but I lived in Atlanta in the 1980s, and it was much more "southern" back then, and Charlotte is much more like Atlanta was in the early 1980s when I arrived here for college.

Today, one of the things I like about the Atlanta metro area, and much of Cobb County in particular, is that the population is a nice blend of recent transplants and some from the first wave (1980s-1990s), as well natives and people from other parts of the US. We have discovered that two of my wife's old friends live in the area, one in Kennesaw and one in Lawrenceville. My son has friends who have relocated here from places like Denver and California.

Kennesaw, just like Alpharetta and Conyers and Dacula and Forest Park and Cumming, is not the same place it was in the 1980s. When I go to Charlotte now, I see Atlanta of the 1980s (and I lived in Atlanta then). A progressive urban and suburban core that is growing, but that tapers off rapidly to more rural and traditional southern towns.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:37 AM

719 posts, read 1,693,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Nope, not at all. I've known rednecks from New Hampshire and upstate New York. There is more of a tendency for the rural and less affluent southerners (which usually also equates to less educated) to equal redneck though, just based on culture and history.
Agreed.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:44 AM

3 posts, read 5,095 times
my name is charlotte muhammad i live in florida florida suck i rather atl or some where up north

Old 09-19-2010, 07:46 AM

but i am from louisiana but i will never move back only just to visit

Old 09-19-2010, 07:47 AM

719 posts, read 1,693,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
You're stretching what is a valid point just a tad, but I lived in Atlanta in the 1980s, and it was much more "southern" back then, and Charlotte is much more like Atlanta was in the early 1980s when I arrived here for college.

Today, one of the things I like about the Atlanta metro area, and much of Cobb County in particular, is that the population is a nice blend of recent transplants and some from the first wave (1980s-1990s), as well natives and people from other parts of the US. We have discovered that two of my wife's old friends live in the area, one in Kennesaw and one in Lawrenceville. My son has friends who have relocated here from places like Denver and California.

Kennesaw, just like Alpharetta and Conyers and Dacula and Forest Park and Cumming, is not the same place it was in the 1980s. When I go to Charlotte now, I see Atlanta of the 1980s (and I lived in Atlanta then). A progressive urban and suburban core that is growing, but that tapers off rapidly to more rural and traditional southern towns.
Absolutely agree about the unique blend of natives and transplants that you find in an area like Cobb County, almost like rings in a large oak tree, and I think we have very similar views of the qualities of these areas in general. On a side note, I'd personally just like to see much more political maturity in that part of the area, but I think it's developing - gradually. Very gradually. But of course that's a discussion for another day - or forum.

My only point with my analogy is just that one of the things that I continue to marvel at is how much of an island culturally the Atlanta area really can seem to be at times on account of all of the decades of massive in-migration. The unique thing about large parts of the Atlanta region is how you can easily go for days while out and about without really hearing anything even remotely approaching a heavy Southern accent. Then one day you'll stumble into it and that's when it hits you - "oh yeah, I'm in the South, wow". That's the uniqueness of the Atlanta experience. You have a place that retains just enough of its regional feel to evoke an identity (a Southern one, but one that's new in history, vastly different than what a New Orleans or Richmond or Charleston have offered), but one that remains in the background and gives way to a much more dynamic and evolving experience. In other words, I'd claim that Atlanta is one of the nation's - even the world's - genuine cultural melting pot cities.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:50 AM

can some tell me a good place to move to raise my grandson i am looking for a good school from he is 5 years old and not talking yet florida don't have good school plesae help me find one i reath move up north i love the snow i should er stay where i was ga.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta