Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2010, 10:07 PM

265 posts, read 329,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
You can cut and paste selective post all you want to to make your argument stronger but we all know who the big dog of the south is....and what Status charlotte wishes she had.....time to put in my ASO cd.....goodnight
"Selective post"....LMAO! I bet right now you wish you had moderator capabilities so you could erase your ridiculously ignorant statements, don't you? Like I said, sorry I had to blast you so hard, but it was hard to believe that someone blowing as much steam as you didn't know that symphonies, ballets, and operas were so commonplace. I think that laugh will take me through this weekend.

And once again, just for kicks:

"yes I didn't know Charlotte had an opera or ballet or symphony....because its not on a world class status like Atlantas is. "

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 10:13 PM

73 posts, read 109,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon704 View Post
Well it's not my fault if you can't effectively communicate what you mean. Other things besides nightlife have already been mentioned, yet you had nothing to say about those things. You've more than said what you meant.

Oh I seriously, seriously doubt that. You're just downright delirious now. Furthermore, I do travel from time to time because I don't limit myself to just where I live.

How is that even related to entertainment or nightlife? Can we at least stay on topic?
Here because I work in the entertainment industry that's why I mentioned that I wouldn't get anywhere living there..I ment what I said regarding NIGHTLIFE.. Your the silly one trying to make CHarlotte more prominent than what it really is.. Like I thought I have been to more events in one month here in Atlanta than you have been to in CHarlotte in 6 months.. I'm not talking about where u traveled just in Charlotte.

Nothing against your city but it lacks and it's boring.. MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.. Either u can accept that are u can keep going back and forth..
If someone feels that way about Atlanta oh well that's just how they feel.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:38 PM

644 posts, read 1,429,961 times
It is a selective post when you take it and put it in your own contrast....the same way you laughed at my statement is the same when I laugh when I look at Charlottes two "tall" buildings......

Old 10-22-2010, 09:03 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
This is ridiculous. So because Charlotte naturally doesn't offer as much as Atlanta does, that means that people sit at home all day watching soap operas? LMAO! Oh, and the word is "thrown," not "throwed."

Wow, this statement shows just how ridiculously clueless you really are. You really don't know that opera companies, symphony orchestras, and ballet companies are pretty much standard for any sizable city, do you? Case in point, little old Columbia, SC has had an opera guild now for over 30 years, a philharmonic for over 40 years, and a ballet company for almost 60 years. Greensboro, NC has had an opera for almost 30 years, a ballet for over 40 years, and a symphony orchestra for over 70 years. And you think these things are exclusive to cities of a "world class status" like Atlanta? You actually think these things are exclusive top 10 city amenities? Oh my God dude, please stop because you just keep embarrassing yourself. I'm laughing so hard my sides are hurting!!!!

Well laugh harder because I agree with what he is saying.Once again you insult another person instead of just disagreeing and moving on.You use words like foolish,ridiculous and you are embarrassing yourself and the try to act all surprised when people go off on your A**.In your mind I suppose no one knows more than you and instead of apologizing you keep on playing the victim.
Regardless whether you agree or not,everything has value and Atlantas' classical music scene has been ranked,awarded showcased more than Charlotte has ever done.Why go to see a high school game when you can go see a Pro Sport team instead?Your arguments and portrayals of people are nothing but a guise of the fact that you really have no defense against what has been said.That is why you are so "upset" and whaling off on people with personal remarks.Whats more disingenuous is how instead of admitting points are valid (even if you do not agree) where you could at least say "well these are your personal opinions" and I respectfully disagree.But you Charlotte posters trying to find any morsel by nick picking the most mundane detail is just more evidence that shows your defensive and sensitive attitudes are non substantive, empty sad case of self inferiority.

I have been trying HARD to hold back because you Charlotte guys are WAY too sensitive but Charlotte is SO BORING.I have so many friends that never said anything bad but its "nice".They go live their and the whole time they are trying to get back to Atlanta or D.C.

Charlotte reminds me of San Diego.Nice place ,very suburban like and corporate feeling but the difference is that San Diego is surrounded by natural beauty and plenty to do.More than a NASCAR Museum

Which brings me to another main thing: NASCAR facility is a great state of the art place.When Atlanta lost it,I believe it was never Atlanta to have.Charlotte is the more likely place for it.It just makes sense on a historic and emotional level.However not a practical decision at all.With all the foot traffic and existing infrastructure ,Atlanta would most definitely be a better choice.

The College Football Hall of Fame :- College Football Hall of Fame Relocation to Atlanta Making Great Strides | Reuters

The National Civil Rights Museum,The National Health Museum are just some of the new museums that are in different stages of development.

So when i read that the NASCAR museum was having trouble with getting sponsor and paying its debts 4 months after it opened,I admit even I was surprised.City waiting for NASCAR Hall of Fame payment | WCNC.com | Charlotte News, Weather, Traffic, and Sports | WCNC.com | News for Charlotte, NC

Then I also read this about the NASCAR:
Quote:
Struggling with declining attendance, the NASCAR Hall of Fame said Wednesday it may cut between $2.5 million and $3 million in annual expenses to balance its budget.
The hall lost $280,509 in August, which some had expected to be one of its strongest months because children are out of school for most of that time. That loss, coupled with overall revenue coming in far short of projections, has led the Charlotte Regional Visitors Authority to ask the hall to consider additional budget cuts, including layoffs

Read more: NASCAR Hall of Fame considers big budget cuts - Wire - Lifestyle - bellinghamherald.com (http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2010/10/14/1668733/nascar-hall-of-fame-considers.html#ixzz136D5S5NJ - broken link)

I honestly do not think the museum would be struggling as much as it is.In fact I said so in a thread a while back.Foot traffic and tourism are Atlanta strong point.This is not a good sign where one of the biggest attractions is failing to generate as much interest.So I ask those who I said before how Charlotte lags in tourism by a lot.

Last edited by afonega1; 10-22-2010 at 09:31 AM..

Old 10-22-2010, 09:37 AM

644 posts, read 1,429,961 times
Great points about the hof.....I have said that several times before but when I do charlotte people for some strange unknown reason stop posting......if charlotte is suppose to be this-oh-so-great-super-mega-hub-of-the-carolinas-with-unsurmounted-corporate-sponsors-and-this-big-ol-thriving-major city why can't it support ONE MAJOR TOURIST ATTRACTION??? AND YOU CAN'T SAY ITS THE EXONOMY BECAUSE ATTRACTIONS IN OTHER CITIES LIKE......MMMMMMMM Atlanta. For example are doing better then ever....over 12 million people have visited the aquarium so far in only 4 or 5 years!!

I bet the suits over at NASCAR are wishing they would've moved to the real city....instead of a place with no tourist and that has NOTHING to do...I wonder how much longer this place is gping to struggle before finally closing its doors

Old 10-22-2010, 09:45 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,748,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Wait a minute.You can say all you want but do not LIE on me.I dare you to prove I said that.You are SUCH A LIAR.You are put on notice.Proove it or shut up!Ill be waiting,your lack of credibility is on the line!I could care less what you think,You got called out b several people on both sides and now you think you want to mess with me?Save it.You aint ready for this.Not to mention that I don't necessarily disagree with his remarks.I just wanted him to clarify because it happens quite freqently that MSA,CSA's and city often get twisted with different posters.

Im on my break for work..I have some more words of wisdom I would like to impart your way.
LOL!! Are you serious? People can easily go back and read your comments, you said Chicago and Atlanta have the same number of Fortune 500 Co. I pointed out your "error" in that you weren't including the ones in the suburbs and you said the following....

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
NO!YOU WERE talking METRO'S.i WAS TALKING ABOUT WHAT i WAS TALKING ABOUT.And the fact that you keep saying it has over 30 when it clearly does not is also disturbing.
Again are you serious???? You're trying to say you didn't write this above? Chicago has almost three times the number of Fortune 500 Co's as Atlanta. You're trying to exclude companies like Walgreens, McDonalds and Sara Lee because they're not in the city limits?? That's crazy. As if people who live in the city limits don't work at these companies...and vice versa? Like I said, whatever is convienant to make Atlanta look good is the position you take, we get it

Old 10-22-2010, 09:45 AM

1,037 posts, read 2,046,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
Once again the whole topic is drifting off topic/sounding a little too immature. Nobody moves to a city because of its nightlife or because of how upscale its main mall is and I would not even think about putting Atlanta in the same breadth as Miami, New York, Las Vegas, LA, or New Orleans when it comes to nightlife and I live here.

Speaking to people on both sides of the issue: first of all this thread should not be 72 pages long. What does that tell you when other more important threads max out at 3 or 4 pages? Also, logically and naturally this thread has turned into a city vs. city debate, and that's fine, BUT can we argue intelligently instead of sounding off like dumb idiots who care mostly about " 'da club "? Both cities offer tremendous nightlife for their populaces (Charlotte's not bad for a city its size and the bars close earlier there and in Atlanta the bars close earlier than many other cities so touche to that).

Now to address some issues: Charlotte and Atlanta are really on two different levels. Charlotte's true peer cities are Indy, KC, Providence, San Antonio, Austin, Columbus, Cincy, Cleveland, and Orlando. It's more easy and more fair to compare those cities, BUT if we were to compare Charlotte and Atlanta, both cities do different things better than the other. Because Atlanta's on a different scale, I am talking on a per capita basis. Yes there are more TOD's in Atlanta by nature of its size, its longer transit history, and much more extensive system. However, for Charlotte's brand new LYNX and smaller size/smaller system it schools Atlanta in this department. That's what I am talking about.

Atlanta has many things over Charlotte, including some of the best parks in the country if not the world, some of the best universities in the country and the world, 3.8 million more people, the most extensive public rail transit system outside of the NE and Chicago, 7 more F500 companies, much more history and character (MUCH MUCH more), 4 professional sports teams with longer histories, and the list probably goes on. Charlotte still has many of the same things Atlanta does: a major race track, lots of F500s, rail public transit, the same cultural amenities (now with the addition of Wells Cultural Campus), a theme park, a major airport hub, and a thriving CBD. The people are similar and come from similar backgrounds (lots of halfbacks, northern transplants, and southern small town transplants, as well as lots of young profs).

Both cities suffer from the worst road planning in the country. No grids outside of the CBD and winding, dendritic roads that loop around and don't connect or lead to anywhere and change names frequently. The cities are actually pretty similar. I think I have given a fair assessment. Both cities are due praise in some areas and scorn in others (but isn't that how most cities are?). Could I happily live in either? Probably so. Are both too far from legitimate water? Yes. Lake Norman and Lake Lanier are not the same as a FL beach or living on a canal or river in FL.
I really admire and appreciate your honesty. you are absolutely correct this thread has turned very childish. Your observations are right on!!

Old 10-22-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Laughable once again. It's pretty funny that you say that this city is boring and there's nothing to do when only a few pages ago I had to school you concerning several cultural offerings available here in the city like the opera, symphony, ballet, etc. It's quite obvious that you haven't even taken the time to research all that there is to do here, yet you slam it as being boring. Or perhaps your attitude has prevented you from befriending people here? It can be hard to enjoy a city if one lacks a social circle to enjoy it with.

And yes, there are things to do outside of Uptown. NoDa, SouthEnd, Dilworth, Elizabeth, Plaza-Midwood, etc. all have their own restaurants, bars, lounges, etc. that you can enjoy. I've even gone as far south as Ayrsley at I-485 and Tryon and as far north as Birkdale Village in Huntersville to enjoy myself. If you can't do anything about where you currently live, you need to stop complaining and try to enjoy what the city does have to offer.
Nice. Don't forget about University City, Concord Mills Area, as well.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:22 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,686,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
Nice. Don't forget about University City, Concord Mills Area, as well.
There is very little to do in University City Area or Concord Mills (besides going to Concord Mills Mall). Perhaps one could go to the Wing Wing (I think it's called - yarn!!!!)

Old 10-22-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
There is very little to do in University City Area or Concord Mills (besides going to Concord Mills Mall). Perhaps one could go to the Wing Wing (I think it's called - yarn!!!!)
There is more there than just Concord Mills. Nice how you left out everything that Concord Mills has
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta