Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2010, 11:49 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,530,280 times

Advertisements

I can't believe this is still going on. Yall should meet in the middle, S.C and wrestle it out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 12:41 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,046,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
So if someone says this:

I should not be offended and someone calling me foolish? That's not confrontational?He knew I said it.Even if he did not he answered "the person who said it"

I will admit Carolina Blue and QCDreamin get under my skin(Im sure they'll be happy to take note)But I responded to Posideon as he keeps insulting people.It was never about simple disagreement.All about his tone.We disagree on occasion but the tone is not disrespectful .
Afonega I am not trying to be confrontational with you at all and if I seem to have been then I apologize. i have been responding back to ignorant or misinformed statements about what Charlotte lacks when it really doesn't. I honestly posted this question for what it was;just out of curiosity. I have no problem with people not liking Charlotte. i have a problem with bashing and lying or exagerrating or making genralized statements like we only have two tall towers or there is nothing to do.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:49 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,707,639 times
Charlotte is just plain tired, and they have jealousy written all over their obnoxious Carolina accent.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:00 PM

950 posts, read 3,190,179 times
Interesting read on CLT: As economy strains, Charlotte's self-image takes a hit - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/10/25/1783154/banktown-breakdown.html - broken link)

Old 10-25-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Interesting read on CLT: As economy strains, Charlotte's self-image takes a hit - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/10/25/1783154/banktown-breakdown.html - broken link)

LOL--I love it, now maybe some of the Charlotte promoters will shut the f up. BOA will be next to leave, and Charlotte will be a ghost town...What goes around comes around, they stole all of Atlanta's banks, we let them though. All about greed....

Old 10-25-2010, 02:31 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,785,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
Afonega I am not trying to be confrontational with you at all and if I seem to have been then I apologize. i have been responding back to ignorant or misinformed statements about what Charlotte lacks when it really doesn't. I honestly posted this question for what it was;just out of curiosity. I have no problem with people not liking Charlotte. i have a problem with bashing and lying or exagerrating or making genralized statements like we only have two tall towers or there is nothing to do.

Well I don't think I said anything outlandish.I have defended Charlotte too.But something are just subjective and you cannot change how people feel.In case I say anything that has absolutely no merit whatsoever.

Thank You for the apology.It is appreciated.I know we can all be overzealous about the places we call home.I honestly do not feel I need to put down Charlotte for any reason.

For the record:I DO NOT DISLIKE Charlotte.I have NEVER disliked anyplace.I have been to Charlotte and I will be there again in about a month to visit friends and family.

I dont EVER have the intention of being dishonest or even mean spirited.Any one who knows me would say I try to be diplomatic and sincere.That said I have no problem with being confronted if I have stated something that others do not agree with.I just object to my integrity being challenged.That burns me up more than anythingWe all have opinions some more informed than others,some THINK they are more informed than others,but rarely do I think that most people are TRYING to be on this forum for anything more than just simple dialog.

Example:something in my mind that meant nothing more than just being practical as in "im-bolding" my response to a post in red under a previous posters quotations.But to Architect77 making a personal attack on me by saying :
Quote:
It saddens me to see someone so desperate and lonely for any kind of interaction with another human being, as evidenced by bold red attempts to spark any sort of debate...
WTF was that about?

I did not see that he even meant me until I was going over the post again.

SO yes I know we love our cities but the statements I make are usually opinions unless I state it is a fact or otherwise.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:43 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,785,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
LOL--I love it, now maybe some of the Charlotte promoters will shut the f up. BOA will be next to leave, and Charlotte will be a ghost town...What goes around comes around, they stole all of Atlanta's banks, we let them though. All about greed....
I am gonna be honest.Initially during all the banks merging and failures I stated that Charlotte banks might be in trouble.Particularly BOA.This remark from me was just based on logic of what was happening.I had no malice about that happening to Charlotte.Its never a good thing even when it benefits Atlanta or any other city.People loose jobs,families breakup over financial worries.One thing we must never forget that win any of our major cities suffer;ALL AMERICANS suffer.So while I understand your need to be vindicated lets just not ever forget that fact.
I want there to be another city nearby where I would want to get away several times a year like the Baltimore-D.C. corridor.Charlotte for me is not there yet for me to do that presently but if(and when) it bounces back I will be on the first high speed rail train!

Old 10-25-2010, 02:49 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,686,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
This is a very negative post. I am not a advocate of the Charlotte exaggerations - but the economy is bad for all -inlcuding Atlanta.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:55 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,856,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Thats the other thing.When I made the remark about"its not even a state capitol".I really don't understand why that is so laughable.I NEVER said that was THE ONLY reason Charlotte cannot be influential.Especially if people can bring up a football team as being influential(yes I do think that is a stretch).Cities usually get influence for the following things:Economic clout, political clout or media related are major areas in influence.The only one out of those that Charlotte has(a small amount) is economic clout.But as north Carolinians like to boast they have other major cities in the state like Raleigh.Now that is "convenient" Charlotte has all this power of influence.
I don't recall anyone saying that Charlotte has all of the influence in NC, because it doesn't. But I do think it has a wider sphere of influence across both Carolinas. People from both Carolinas come to Charlotte for entertainment (pro sports, special events, Carowinds, etc.), shopping, travel (Charlotte-Douglas), etc. Those things count as influence.

Quote:
So I listen with extreme fairness to what you said.I had got to thinking:" did I actually call P704 statement "stupid" FIRST ?I really did not rememeber but I was begining to think I did.But the remarks by me that you speak of, came after he initially made the statements I quoted earlier.Even though I stand by that I did find his foolish remark and other things confrontational.In hindsight I do think I overacted now that I have gone back and reread.I I do offer an apology to Poseidon only.Most of that anger was misdirected,.His remarks jwere last and they just touched a nerve.Along with Carolinablue,QCdreamin, I just felt ganged up on.[/b]
OK, fair enough. But why do you consider the point Poseidon was making as "foolish"? All he said was that Atlanta's size advantage over Charlotte isn't directly proportional to its economic advantage. I thought that was an interesting point to highlight. Maybe you thought it was foolish because you think it makes Atlanta look bad or something? I don't think it does; I just think it shows that Charlotte packs a significant economic punch for its size.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
This is a very negative post. I am not a advocate of the Charlotte exaggerations - but the economy is bad for all -inlcuding Atlanta.
Its a matter of opinion...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta