Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 09:17 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,751,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I can't remember who they all were, but if memory serves, I do think representatives from Charlotte were part of that group that came here. Also Austin, and a few others. So anyway, if the earlier comments about how nice (and bumless) downtown Charlotte is are true, it looks like they did indeed learn some things on their visit.
And Atlanta reps have recently come to Charlotte for "advice"...

Article 1: Charlotte transit plans leave Atlanta in slow lane | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/printedition/2008/03/31/saporta0331.html - broken link)

Article 2: Charlotte shows state support for transit is vital | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/printedition/2008/04/07/saporta0407.html - broken link)

__
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 09:20 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,364,203 times
Yes, Carolina Blue. We (Atlantans) have a little Light Rail envy going on, we admit it.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:31 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,139,842 times
Charlotte certainly looks very nice and offers amenities beyond its city limits
Asheville, mountains, ocean all not terribly far - Atlanta does not necessarily differ much in this regard - but Charlotte is building a nice dense core of a business district, but unless it makes sure that it does sprawl like Atlanta and have a very fragmented region, it will be another Atlanta/Dallas/Houston.

I agree with above comments about the somewhat more progressive nature of North Carolina which is refreshing as both Charlotte and the Triangle area seem to invest more in education etc.

As for specific comparisions about dining, or entertainment etc, but I can't speak to that and can assume that Atlanta would logically offer more given its size, but population doesn't alway = more of something better.

New Orleans has most cities beat for great food.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
As for specific comparisions about dining, or entertainment etc, but I can't speak to that and can assume that Atlanta would logically offer more given its size, but population doesn't alway = more of something better.
When it comes to dining, entertainment and shopping there simply is no comparison between the two - at all. In these categories, Charlotte's offerings do truly reflect its true size vs Atlanta.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:54 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,139,842 times
Which is what I said. I was just adding that some cities like New Orleans offer much more for their size than much larger areas.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:57 AM

Sorry, JoeP - I thought you were asking a question re: Charlotte vs Atlanta.

And I would agree with your assessment of Nawlins' food offerings.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:22 AM

719 posts, read 1,697,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
This is very true, WilliamM. The biggest shaft the State of NC ever gives Charlotte is shorting them on transportation funding in favor of the RDU area. There really isn't the out-and-out hatred of the States largest city like what we have to deal with here. Hell, North Carolina already has intra-State rail up and running - has for several years now.

We USED to be the most progressive State in the South. That was a long time ago, sadly..........
Interesting point. You know it reminds me that another factor here is the difference in NC with having two different and decidedly mid-sized metros like Charlotte and the Triangle, growing rather more slowly, creating a situation which might have been able to better diffuse the ire of the backwoods rubes better than in GA where you had a runaway metropolis poised to someday become another Chicago.

Great point about the progressive mantle clearly going back towards the mid-Atlantic part of the South, which became crystal clear in November. I had always thought Georgia (having Atlanta) would become the de-facto progressive Southern state (and live up to its state nickname), but no more. Somehow progressiveness metastacized in the South via DC and down through the NC metros, instead of Atlanta. Too bad. That's a real missed opportunity. In my view.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:26 AM

^Could not agree with you more.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:28 AM

719 posts, read 1,697,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Which is what I said. I was just adding that some cities like New Orleans offer much more for their size than much larger areas.
It's because New Orleans is that rarest of phenomena in North America: a true decadent city, an Old-World style city that's declined.

Don't forget, at one point it was one of American's true cultural capitals, a real rival to Boston and NY. So, that's all still there now, but its cultural elements now just live on as simmering embers without a dynamic city to surround it. Like an old spice in a gumbo. Yum.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:45 AM

Mmmm. I could really go for an oyster po boy right about now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta