Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Atlanta: school search, safe area, mortgage, rental, housing, insurance.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 04:42 PM

719 posts, read 1,697,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Actually, the division is *quite* clear here on the western part of town. The City of Atlanta is everything on the east side of the Chattahoochie River.
In other words, it's where the piranhas keep you from crossing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 09:26 PM

18 posts, read 60,292 times
William M,
I'm curious about your relating Cumming to a small midwestern town. I've been looking for a suitable area to relocate to and visited a few developments in Cumming this past October. I presently live in NJ, South Jersey to be precise (those familiar will know this means I'm a short drive across the Ben Franklin or Betsey Ross into Philly), so I'd like to be in an area close enough to the city (for shopping, museums, pro sports, et al) but yet distant enough where the high crime, poor neighborhood schools, and other "big-city" problems aren't a major concern. So is Cumming a poor fit? I do know it's a long drive into Atl proper, but some of the info I have read here and elsewhere make me think that might be a good thing.
My basic question I guess is, Is Cumming a "redneck" area? (no offense meant), because I've also read on this forum there is a Hispanic/Latino segment.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:15 PM

201 posts, read 1,012,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillykat View Post
William M,
I'm curious about your relating Cumming to a small midwestern town. I've been looking for a suitable area to relocate to and visited a few developments in Cumming this past October. I presently live in NJ, South Jersey to be precise (those familiar will know this means I'm a short drive across the Ben Franklin or Betsey Ross into Philly), so I'd like to be in an area close enough to the city (for shopping, museums, pro sports, et al) but yet distant enough where the high crime, poor neighborhood schools, and other "big-city" problems aren't a major concern. So is Cumming a poor fit? I do know it's a long drive into Atl proper, but some of the info I have read here and elsewhere make me think that might be a good thing.
My basic question I guess is, Is Cumming a "redneck" area? (no offense meant), because I've also read on this forum there is a Hispanic/Latino segment.
Hey, did you ever make it here? I moved from South Jersey to Cummingabout 2 1/2 years ago and I love it. It is not a mid-western town. It has lots of great shopping and people, the schools are great and the crime is low. I do not regret my choice at all. Feel free to contact me. I have 2 boys 9 and 10 also.

Abbe

Old 10-07-2009, 02:04 AM

18 posts, read 60,292 times
Red face Scared off ATL, but still secretly loves the area

No, we never made it to Atlanta. I must confess that after almost 3 years of looking, dreaming and even a few visits I was ultimately scared off from so much negative info. Pretty much after the real estate market burst, all I read about was high unemployment and such...I chickened out. I did sell my home in Jersey this fall we are now renting outside the Jacksonville Fl area now (I know Jax has a rep, but I looked FIRST for good schools, then visited the areas that would go to these schools). I'm looking to buy out here now, but I still wistfully think of ATL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta