U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Thread summary:

Seeking information on Atlanta peaking in terms of population and jobs, Atlanta economy, Atlanta one of top 5 cities in United states, Atlanta hub of business activity

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 02:09 PM

10 posts, read 22,242 times

Advertisements

Or has it peaked already?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 02:14 PM

1,498 posts, read 1,706,667 times
Really, what we are looking at here is a very suprising and interesting trend. People are moving into the city at increased rates every year. With more density, the city only gets better. I truly believe that asking that same question would be like asking when NYC, Chicago, Washington, etc. would peak because this level is where the city is heading.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Really, what we are looking at here is a very suprising and interesting trend. People are moving into the city at increased rates every year. With more density, the city only gets better. I truly believe that asking that same question would be like asking when NYC, Chicago, Washington, etc. would peak because this level is where the city is heading.
Would you want to live in a place like Little Five Points?
Nice place to visit...but..

Old 01-11-2009, 02:23 PM

7,752 posts, read 10,036,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagBas View Post
Or has it peaked already?
By what criteria or metric? Population?

Old 01-11-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
By what criteria or metric? Population?
population and jobs.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:28 PM

7,752 posts, read 10,036,591 times
Difficult to tell in this economy. Things have and will slow for the next year or two, but I think you'll see growth in the metro area pick up again after that.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:00 PM

719 posts, read 1,069,415 times
Quote:
population and jobs.
It's no more possible to answer that than it is to say whether the US economy itself has peaked. That's something that's only going to become clear over the next 10-15 yrs., if not longer.

Keep in mind, Atlanta is one of a number of so-called Sunbelt cities that have been growing by leaps and bounds throughout the post-WWII period. Something tells me the likelihood of any of these cities -- much less the one that's been the poster child of them and the powerhouse growth machine for 25+ yrs. -- is going to just stall out and stop growing is very low. But you never know, stranger things have happened. I'm just saying, I wouldn't put my money on it. Anyway, it's going to be quite a few years before we can even begin to see whether this is the case and that's partly because we may be in the midst of the worst recession since WWII.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:50 PM

12,883 posts, read 19,600,032 times
Quote:
Would you want to live in a place like Little Five Points?
Nice place to visit...but..
No one lives in Little Five Points...it is a business and entertainment district. The people that live in that immediate area either reside in Inman Park or Candler Park. I would live in either in a heartbeat, and I know many people that do and love it. I get the sense that you base your opinion on limited knowledge of the area.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:15 PM

2,825 posts, read 2,396,157 times
If Atlanta peaks at some point hopefully there will be a Georgia leader with the vision to spread the wealth and prosperity to the other Georgia cities as well, like Savannah, Valdosta, Macon, and whatever else. No more of this southern bubba crappiness.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:19 PM

8,713 posts, read 12,337,772 times
I've read in various places that it is important (and wise) to look at Atlanta as the capital/hub city of a country...the country being the American South. The rise of the American South after WWII is very similar to the Newly-Industrialized Countries (NICs) of the world, the "Asian Tigers," and somewhat similar to what is going on now in China, India, and Brazil. The American South was largely an impoverished, agricultural-based region (or country!) prior to WWII. It is not really accurate to compare it to most of the rest of the U.S or to Western+Central Europe.

Here is my point--Atlanta has become the de-facto capital/economic center of a "country"...and a "country" that is still growing/emerging. Whether the American South is growing or not, Atlanta will always see growth due to the fact that it is the hub of the American South. The main comparison given out is Atlanta and Sao Paulo...and that Sao Paulo will always see growth no matter what is happening in Brazil (I think another good comparison is Mexico City).

This is something Atlanta has over the other Sunbelt cities. This is why Atlanta is seen as one of the five most important cities in the U.S. (New York, LA, Washington, Chicago, Atlanta). This is also why Atlanta is predicted to eventually be in the Top 5 or 6 in population in the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta