Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2009, 04:47 PM

1,006 posts, read 735,021 times

Advertisements

I know its no GTech but it is my backup plan. Gtech College of Engineering wants atleast a 3.5 GPA and I'm currently sitting on a 3.2. My advisor stated that the chances for transferring the school are good but the Engineering program is highly competetive. GSU does not have an engineering program from what I understand.

Oh and how far is SPSU from Midtown as this is where I would be living.

Last edited by ayahuasca_mike; 01-11-2009 at 05:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 07:16 PM

4,685 posts, read 6,135,229 times
It is about 18-20 mins from GA Tech tops. The school is not bad, i graduated in 04 and it was getting better and was getting more campus life, trying to make it less of a commuter school. You get more hands on at SPSU than at GA Tech since it is a engineering technology school so you will have more labs.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
It is about 18-20 mins from GA Tech tops. The school is not bad, i graduated in 04 and it was getting better and was getting more campus life, trying to make it less of a commuter school. You get more hands on at SPSU than at GA Tech since it is a engineering technology school so you will have more labs.
Thanks for the info. Thats the only thing I hate about engineering as apposed to Engineering Tech, too much theory and not enough application. More often than not I feel like I'll never be able to apply Cal 3 or Diff Eq to real life application because all we do is learn how to solve equations.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:35 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,373,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moddestmike View Post
Thanks for the info. Thats the only thing I hate about engineering as apposed to Engineering Tech, too much theory and not enough application. More often than not I feel like I'll never be able to apply Cal 3 or Diff Eq to real life application because all we do is learn how to solve equations.
I hear ya, and that's why I got my BS in engineering technology. The big question is, what are you looking for in a career? The answer to that may require you to go the straight engineering route.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:21 AM

188 posts, read 680,155 times
Our company recruits Interns majoring in either Computer Science, Industrial engg or Operations Research fields. Some students from SPSU were just hopeless. They have no idea of s/w development at all. Couple from GSU were very good. GTECH - CS candidates never returned after first term.

One of my co-worker is doing Masters from SPSU (evening class) and he says SPSU is too easy. Also it is much more than 18-20 minute ride on busy hours.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:12 PM

4,685 posts, read 6,135,229 times
The 18-20 mins i put was with no traffic. In the morning the is no traffic after the 75-85 split going to marietta and in the evening any traffic you meet will be at 285 then at northside/howell mill rd going back to atl.

I got a BS in computer engineering technology and honestly think it was useless, because it teaches you a little of everything and your not really good in one area. Most people i know with that degree all end up doing tech support when they graduate right now most employers want experience the minute you graduate, so it feels like the degree doesnt mean as you thought it would while you were in school. But alot of depratments are better there now, so it would be a good alternate to GA Tech.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
The 18-20 mins i put was with no traffic. In the morning the is no traffic after the 75-85 split going to marietta and in the evening any traffic you meet will be at 285 then at northside/howell mill rd going back to atl.

I got a BS in computer engineering technology and honestly think it was useless, because it teaches you a little of everything and your not really good in one area. Most people i know with that degree all end up doing tech support when they graduate right now most employers want experience the minute you graduate, so it feels like the degree doesnt mean as you thought it would while you were in school. But alot of depratments are better there now, so it would be a good alternate to GA Tech.

Thanks again for any info guys. As far as work experience, I currently work as a VSAT support engineer for Perrito Eleven. We specialize in communications for offshore drilling. I really hate to leave my job but I don't have a choice as I've hit the ceiling for pay in my position. Without a degree I won't be able to progress any further. I figure now is the best time to move and set root somewhere else. We will see how it goes.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:57 PM

135 posts, read 533,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moddestmike View Post
I'm a senior at GaTech now and you're right - in the Calc III and Diff EQs, all you do is solve equations. But as you get to higher level classes you use this higher level calculus to actually solve problems. For example, general Diff EQs is used in the circuits class to solve problems. In system dynamics, Laplace Transforms are used all the times for mechanical, electrical, and fluids problems. There are also 2 labs in particular that give you a good look at real world applications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta