Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 11:03 PM

9 posts, read 32,503 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I am a teacher and am planning to move to Atlanta, from SC, this summer. I have a Master's (elementary) and this was a career change. I taught for two years, then had to stop after finding out my temporary certificate had expired and could not be extended. I have since obtained my professional certificate, but haven't been able to secure a position. I am a wonderful teacher (great references), LOVE teaching, and am desperate to return to the classroom. I'm planning to attend the next career fair in Atlanta and would like to know just how difficult it will be to obtain a teaching job. What should I expect at the fair/the interview? Will there be a panel or just the principal? How long does the interview last? Is there usually a long line of teachers waiting to interview? Are my chances better at the career fair? Do you have any advice/tips for a successful interview? Is there any particular school that is just a great place to work? ANY advice will be so greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 04:45 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,660,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanita15 View Post
Hello everyone! I am a teacher and am planning to move to Atlanta, from SC, this summer. I have a Master's (elementary) and this was a career change. I taught for two years, then had to stop after finding out my temporary certificate had expired and could not be extended. I have since obtained my professional certificate, but haven't been able to secure a position. I am a wonderful teacher (great references), LOVE teaching, and am desperate to return to the classroom. I'm planning to attend the next career fair in Atlanta and would like to know just how difficult it will be to obtain a teaching job. What should I expect at the fair/the interview? Will there be a panel or just the principal? How long does the interview last? Is there usually a long line of teachers waiting to interview? Are my chances better at the career fair? Do you have any advice/tips for a successful interview? Is there any particular school that is just a great place to work? ANY advice will be so greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
This is going to be a tough year to get a job in teaching in GA. The state board of ed just increased class size by two students in grades k-8. A lot depends on how the economy impacts mobility. Recent studies are showing that far fewer people are moving from point A to point B. The fastest growing school system in GA has seen a significant slowdown in growth the last year or so.

That said, check out the website, teachgeorgia.org and make sure all your credentials are in order for GA. Most principals won't need to hire non-credentialed or non-renewable credentialed teachers in areas other than special ed and perhaps math and science especially at the elementary level.

Remember that Atlanta is made up of many many school systems and you probably need to look at them all. Gwinnett, Cobb, Fulton, DeKalb, Cities of Decatur, Buford, and Marietta, Henry, Fayette, Forsyth, Rockdale all go along with Atlanta systems as places you should look.

Good luck!

Old 01-14-2009, 10:31 AM

Thanks, lastminutemom!

Old 01-14-2009, 11:10 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,681,397 times
I heard Cobb is putting a freeze on hiring teachers.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:49 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,808,422 times
There will always be some positions available, even in the worst economic times. The problem is that there may be 200 teachers competing for one job opening, so it becomes very difficult to get hired.

No system is going to actually put a freeze on hiring teachers. If a position is vacant, they will hire a teacher to fill the position because there is no alternative.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:43 AM

293 posts, read 1,106,806 times
My system put a freeze on certain positions. So its possible to freeze certain positions, but there is never a freeze in the entire system.

But, as Lastminute mom said, keep your possibilities open to all metro counties (not just a few) and you will definitely get a job. Just make sure all of your credentials are and your certification is in order.

They are opening three new schools in Fulton County next year (one in Alpharetta, one in Sandy Springs, and one in Fairburn) so there will be some openings at some schools next year because they won't be able to fill ALL those positions at these new schools with transferees, plus they need to fill the positions of the people transfering to these schools (where they are transfering from). That's something to think about.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:47 PM

Thanks, Sweet..

I needed that!

Old 01-18-2009, 01:55 PM

293 posts, read 1,106,806 times
Default You're Welcome!

You're welcome! If you are going to the school in Fairburn, there's a possibility that we could meet! I know the principal who is going to open that school and its close to my house!

In fact, I am very fond of the principals they've announced at all three of these schools. Check it out for yourself.

Fulton County Schools - Where Students Come First

Old 01-18-2009, 09:48 PM

86 posts, read 497,678 times
I'm not sure if this helps, but my good friend's wife is a teacher at Shiloh Elem. in Gwinnett county GA. She's told me numerous times that they're ALWAYS looking for good teachers.

You might have to pick one of the rougher schools at first to get your foot in the door, because those are usually the schools that "need" teachers. Then after some time maybe you could make a lateral move somewhere else thats more desirable.

Good luck and god bless the teachers in this world!

Old 01-19-2009, 01:14 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,808,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Atlanta Peach View Post
You're welcome! If you are going to the school in Fairburn, there's a possibility that we could meet! I know the principal who is going to open that school and its close to my house!

In fact, I am very fond of the principals they've announced at all three of these schools. Check it out for yourself.

Fulton County Schools - Where Students Come First

I'm definitely not a fan of the principal of the new elementary school. I worked with him in the past and he was completely unprofessional in more than one situation. I don't recommend getting involved in any teaching position where he is the principal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta