U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-17-2009, 09:00 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,750,197 times
Default Selling used vinyl LP

I have over 100 vinyl LP records that I want to get rid of. What stores locally buy used vinyl? Would they be interested in anything I have? The collection is very diverse: includes classical (from Strauss to Bartok to Harry Parch), rock from the 70s & 80s, jazz, and some eclectic stuff like Penguin Cafe Orchestra. There's a few unusual things in there like promotional EPs from Laurie Anderson. There's also a lot of "contemporary christian music" ranging from Amy Grant to Larry Norman. I don't need these anymore but I hate to just throw them out.

Anyone with ideas?

NOTE: I'm not trying to sell them here!! Just looking for folks that have done something similar to see how they handled it. My goal is to try to sell the whole collection for a flat rate so that I can just be done with it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 09:18 AM

235 posts, read 531,375 times
Your collection sounds interesting and I would try to do the same if I were you. Locally, you could try Book Nook or Wax N' Facts. They actually buy vinyl (last I recall). I would call them to see what they say.

You could also create a username over at an audiophile forum called
SH Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Many of the typical users there are vinyl enthusiasts. Some participants sell their music, but I don't know much about the restrictions and what not. Those people are definitely your niche market for what you have.

You could also try Craigslist.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:21 AM

41 posts, read 69,444 times
I don't think you could get a lot for the classical or christian stuff, The promo's might gets some insiders interested, the Jazz may have the best chance of bringing in buyers, People are looking for Jazz from certain labels or era's. unless you go to a store that sells used vinyl, you will have a hard time finding one collector who's interst are that diverse. for rock if you have complete sets from one artist that is a plus. The artwork is very important on rock , some people are looking to switch out a worn cover.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:10 AM
JPD

7,729 posts, read 7,879,438 times
Full Moon Records in Candler Park gives the most money of any local store. To get any record store to take them, they have to be in VERY, VERY good condition. If they aren't in good shape, you're probably better off taking them to a thrift store and getting a tax deduction.

I would advise against Book Nook. The last time I tried to sell them books and records, they said their new policy was not to give cash, but to give you a 50% off coupon for the value of what you brought them...so if they took $100 worth of stuff from you, you'd get a coupon that would enable you to get 50% off of youir next $100 worth of purchases. So, if you had no intention of buying anything, you get nothing at all for your trades.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:55 AM

35 posts, read 89,813 times
Also check out the Atlanta Record Show. The next one is February 8th 2009. I don't know if you'd want to rent space and set up a table there to sell your records, or chat up the other vinyl dealers and see if anyone is interested in all or some of your collection.

It's held at the Marriott at I-85 And Clairmont Rd, open to the public from 10am - 4pm. I think it's a $4 entrance fee. I've gotten some old beat up records for practically nothing there, all the way up to over $35 for the Beatles One double album on heavy vinyl.

I'm not aware of any web site for it or if I'm allowed to post an email address but you can google around for Victor's email address at mindspring for more information I'm sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta