Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2009, 09:05 AM

5 posts, read 20,472 times

Advertisements

I am currently looking at two communities to move to. In Austell I am looking at Century Brook and in Smyrna I am looking at Calibre Lake. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of living in either area? Which area is best? My work commute would be nearly the same from either area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 10:15 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter0822 View Post
I am currently looking at two communities to move to. In Austell I am looking at Century Brook and in Smyrna I am looking at Calibre Lake. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of living in either area? Which area is best? My work commute would be nearly the same from either area.
Calibre Lake looks like it's on South Cobb just to the north of Highlands Parkway? That general area is a business district, lots of fast food places, etc., but while I'm not sure I'd live in the specific area, I really don't think it's a *bad* area.

Which way are you commuting? West?

Old 01-22-2009, 01:44 PM

Going to work I will be going east, and coming home I will be going west.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:18 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter0822 View Post
Going to work I will be going east, and coming home I will be going west.
I see that Century Brook is located just on the other (west) side of Austell Road on the E/W Connector, at least according to Google Maps.

Century Brook, Austell, GA - Google Maps

Calibre Lake was here:

Calibre Lake, Smyrna, GA - Google Maps

The two locations are roughly 7 miles apart.

from: 2100 Mesa Valley Way SW, Austell, GA 30106, United States (Century Brooke Apartments) to: 100 Calibre Lake Pkwy SE, Smyrna, GA 30082, United States (Calibre Lake Apartments) - Google Maps

If your commute requires you to drive on the E/W Connector, that would mean you'd have to go through that busy (and historically dangerous (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/2006/crashmap.html - broken link)) Austell Road intersection in the morning (along with the main commuting traffic) as well as through the additional lights to the Covered Bridge district, and then through five more before you get to South Cobb.

The Austell location might add several minutes (my guess is 10-15) to your commute every morning, but it depends on where and also WHEN you're going. If you have a fair distance to go in addition to that 7-mile stretch, maybe it won't matter that much to you...

Anyway -- Century Brook looks like it's really close to a bunch of stuff in the East/West Commons area. Target, Lowe's, a nice restaurant cluster, and a few malls with various things, and there's a Walmart not far away. There's also a nice 22-theater movie complex a mile or so away (Regal Cinemas Austell 22).

Calibre Lake is closer to Vinings (which is just on the other side of I-285 on the E/W Connector/Cumberland Parkway) and the Smyrna town center (just up Atlanta Road), and it's also more convenient to drive from there to the stuff around the Cumberland Mall area.

In terms of crime, both locations are probably fine.

I don't know much about the City of Austell, but Smyrna seems to be a very well-run town from what I've been able to see (we live a few hundred yards to the south of the Smyrna city limits). I think given a choice ... based on what little I know ... I'd live in the Austell location and put up with the small additional commute, but it's really a toss-up.

Of course, I'm making informed guesses, since I live between the two locations. Someone else might have actual experience living in those two areas.

Last edited by rcsteiner; 01-22-2009 at 02:34 PM..

Old 01-22-2009, 02:19 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,255,485 times
Traffic can be busy around that Smyrna area since it is near 285 and people using S. Cobb Drive and E/W Connector, etc., but it is doable. Austell, IMO, is not that great. I have not been to all parts of it, but the parts that I have been too (off of the E/W Connector) don't scream out to me as a place I would want to live.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:19 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,777,875 times
Smyrna is more established and upscale -- almost as expensive as Vinings. However, Austell is much more affordable. Both have a lot of upside potential. Areas of Austell within 1/2 mile of Six Flags will take longer and should be avoided unless you plan to hold the property for a while (though that isn't incorporated Austell anyway). If you are looking at Smyrna, the area a few blocks North of Concord Rd or directly East of Belmont Hills may be good choices if you plan to hold until after Belmont Hills redevelopment is completed (a few years before first phase is done). You can get good deals for condos along Spring Rd in Smyrna (mostly all condos) because condos are hurting right now and you can get a great deal if you plan to hold onto the property until after the market is no longer saturated with condos and their value increases. Spring Rd is in the Cumberland condo market, and Cumberland area about to go through a another huge wave of development soon.

You should look at Mableton, Bolton and Douglasville as well if you are looking in that General area. However, Mableton and Bolton are the more likely to be run up in price during the next upswing than Douglasville and Austell due to simple supply and demand. Note: Bolton is the part of Atlanta directly South of Vinings, Smyrna, and East Mableton along Marietta Parkway (Atlanta Rd in Smyrna/Vinings)

The problem with Austell is that it is pretty sparse and it will take a while to become dense enough to have high land values unless you are willing to wait a while. However, anything bordering Bankhead has a lot of upside potential if you are willing to wait long enough. If you are looking for faster returns, then Mableton is a better bet, North of Gordon Rd and S Gordon Rd.

If you wait that long, I predict that in 20 years much of Bankhead and NW Atlanta on West of midtown will be brownstones and lofts, studios and more lofts: spillover from midtown. It has already started along Marietta Blvd and Marietta Street and in pockets in Bankhead. The lofts will be a lot of graduates from Georgia Tech and State, and will stay there until they want more space and start a family. Then, naturally, they will move to places like Austell, Mableton, Bolton, etc. By that point they will usually have gone through a few raises, etc. It's going to be a nice feeder program for influential people moving into South Cobb and Bolton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
(off of the E/W Connector)
That isn't incorporated Austell and is unincorporated Cobb County (with Austell post office address) and most of Austell/Maxham Rd isn't Austell either. Austell's Northern border is Clay Rd and a bit of the Eastern part of Austell touches Maxham Rd. The center of Austell is down Veteran's Memorial from the center of Mableton, about a mile from where it crosses Austell Rd. The Western part of Austell touches Thornton Rd. The center of Austell is really cute and most of Austell is cute other than Thornton Rd and Maxham Rd.

Last edited by netdragon; 01-22-2009 at 10:54 PM..

Old 01-23-2009, 06:32 AM

Thank all of you for the helpful information!!!! I will keep all of it in mind while making my choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta