U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 08:17 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,104,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolyfett View Post
Not a full restaurant, the term I am looking for starts with a "K", but I can't think of the word at this time. It can be different stuff at busy stations, like a news stand or sandwiches or whatever....Just thinking over another way for Marta as a company to generate more revenue, but I have to agree with another post that the actual train SERVICE is not for profit, it is a service to the people.
Were you thinking of kiosk, cooly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
yeh, we're just a bunch of idiots. change the name and we won't have a clue.

no way do i want my tax dollars funding that thing.

i tell you what; if atlanta will pay for us to have a transit system down here, i'll gladly send my tax dollars to pay for yours. oh wait, i've got a better idea; instead of sending checks to each other, lets use our own money to pay for our own transit system.
See, here's the rub - Our wonderful and progressive Governor, Lt. Governor and Speaker of the House will not even let us vote to tax ourselves as a region. We could raise plenty of money here in the Metro to accomplish huge things. Nope - The Gang of Three insist that it be a State-wide 1% sales tax, and that THEY would have a say into dispursing the $$$ as they see fit. Yet another screw-job to the Metro.

We would LOVE (according to recent polls) to be able to stitch together several metro Counties and combine our dollars to plan and implement as we see fit.

I know this garbage plays well out in the State, but one day the rest of Georgia needs to wake up and realize that as thier Capital City goes, so goes Georgia.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:42 AM

1,940 posts, read 8,180,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
Your tax dollars? Since when did Atlanta receive tax dollars from "South" Georgia?
you obviously didn't comprehend what i was saying. try again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake
Whatever... Like you exist in some independent no-government paradise... Tell you what though, go live in Somalia for a while and then come back tell me if it's good not to have ANY sort of government.
WTF? Who said anything about not having government? I said I didn't want my tax money paying for marta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy
Where he exist, they frown upon Atlanta with their hands out. We can pay for our own transit system if we didnt have to support the entire state, with some exceptions. I think Columbus and Macon may be self sufficient.
Now its time for you to list what specifically atlanta pays for in valdosta, excluding schools and highways, seeing as how those are handled by state agencies throughout the entire state paid for with everyone's taxes.

would you like to discuss valdosta's upcoming transit system (<18/mo) that will not be funded with state tax money?

Old 01-24-2009, 11:00 AM

9,188 posts, read 30,151,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
would you like to discuss valdosta's upcoming transit system (<18/mo) that will not be funded with state tax money?

Via published media sources, here are some comments via local area Valdosta leaders during public meetings regarding the transit plan:

"Fortunately, the designation of Valdosta as a metropolitan city has made the MPO eligible for federal funds for both implementation and operations, although it is certain that ridership fees and local subsidies will be needed, according to City Manager Larry Hanson."

"Shipman also said that it should be understood that funds generated by those who use the system will not make up the shortfall received from the federal government. This will require local governments to come up with the balance of the funds needed."

So, if "local governments" will have to come up with the balance of the funds to do it, some of that money will no doubt in some way, shape, or form be tapped from State funds in roundabout ways, therefore, people who may never even visit Valdosta will indirectly be helping to pay for their transit system. This also means local area residents there who will never ride it will also be taxed in some ways to help pay for it, too. Since South Georgia has much more of the Good Old Boy network going on, no doubt private meetings with Perdue will get some money "leaked" their way via the State level, whereas Atlanta is shunned by the Governor's office directly.

We have to get over this, "If it doesn't benefit me, I don't want my taxes going toward it", mentality. If your taxes only went to things that benefited you directly, this country would shut down in days. Taxes are pooled. The pool money gets divided and goes where needed. Much of it goes to places/things you'll never see or use. That's how it works. We can monitor governments and make sure they put it to the most efficient use, but you'll never live in a society where your money goes ONLY to the things that only benefit you. Sorry.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:01 AM

1,104 posts, read 1,170,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Were you thinking of kiosk, cooly?
yes

Old 01-24-2009, 11:08 AM

1,104 posts, read 1,170,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
we have to get over this, "if it doesn't benefit me, i don't want my taxes going toward it", mentality. If your taxes only went to things that benefited you directly, this country would shut down in days. Taxes are pooled. The pool money gets divided and goes where needed. Much of it goes to places/things you'll never see or use. That's how it works. We can monitor governments and make sure they put it to the most efficient use, but you'll never live in a society where your money goes only to the things that only benefit you. Sorry.
:d

Old 01-24-2009, 11:35 AM

3,479 posts, read 6,326,544 times
I love the backwards mentality of people in this state and what their tax dollars should go for. Really, it just shocks me. It's one thing to be against a system because of inefficiencies or mismanagement, etc., but to cry out that I don't use it,. so I won't pay for it is simply ludicrous and simply shows that some people have NO CLUE how their town, state, or country is run and functions.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:43 AM

^Sadly, this thought process is hardly limited to Georgia.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:32 PM

1,940 posts, read 8,180,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Via published media sources, here are some comments via local area Valdosta leaders during public meetings regarding the transit plan:

"Fortunately, the designation of Valdosta as a metropolitan city has made the MPO eligible for federal funds for both implementation and operations, although it is certain that ridership fees and local subsidies will be needed, according to City Manager Larry Hanson."

"Shipman also said that it should be understood that funds generated by those who use the system will not make up the shortfall received from the federal government. This will require local governments to come up with the balance of the funds needed."

So, if "local governments" will have to come up with the balance of the funds to do it, some of that money will no doubt in some way, shape, or form be tapped from State funds in roundabout ways, therefore, people who may never even visit Valdosta will indirectly be helping to pay for their transit system. This also means local area residents there who will never ride it will also be taxed in some ways to help pay for it, too. Since South Georgia has much more of the Good Old Boy network going on, no doubt private meetings with Perdue will get some money "leaked" their way via the State level, whereas Atlanta is shunned by the Governor's office directly.

We have to get over this, "If it doesn't benefit me, I don't want my taxes going toward it", mentality. If your taxes only went to things that benefited you directly, this country would shut down in days. Taxes are pooled. The pool money gets divided and goes where needed. Much of it goes to places/things you'll never see or use. That's how it works. We can monitor governments and make sure they put it to the most efficient use, but you'll never live in a society where your money goes ONLY to the things that only benefit you. Sorry.

The local governments mentioned are those in the metro area. it will not use tax funds from the rest of the state.

i don't mind my state tax dollars paying for certain things around the rest of georgia, but marta is not one of them.

edit to add:

if it gets to a point where funding from the state is required, i would lobby them to shut it down.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:34 PM

^Why? Do you realize how many cars it takes off the roads daily?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or