U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 08:42 PM

2,205 posts, read 4,306,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolyfett View Post
My first 2 bills from Gas South were 73.00 & 81.00....now I got a 179.00 bill for 1 month. I actually watched the man "light the pallet light?".....I think that is what he called it, I have not seen one of those things since I was a kid at my grandmas house...Im talking 1983, 1984, they still use those things here in Georgia? *shaking head* Georgia Power needs to provide the heat, not these gas companies. The things people do not mention about this area you learn over time I guess. I could have sworn a metro area like Atlanta Georgia would be up to date when it comes to warming your home/residence/apartment.......I just paid the 179.00 im scared to see what my next charge is.
Cooly, it's a pilot light, not pallet light, and older gas furnaces and water heaters still have 'em. Newer equipment typically has electronic ignition instead, to avoid wasting gas by having the pilot burning all the time. I'm sure there are gas appliances with pilot lights all over the country still, not just in Atlanta, and their presence here isn't caused by Georgia's natural gas deregulation.

About the deregulation, you have a lot more choice than Scana and Gas South. (Careful, though, I think there's a fee for switch marketers more than one a year). You can read all about it and compare rate at this website: Georgia Public Service Commission

In fact, poor you, according to the PSC January rate chart Georgia Public Service Commission for standard variable-rate plans (the kind most people use), your marketer, Gas South, was the most expensive of the bunch this month. And I'm feeling good because my marketer, Fireside Natural Gas, was the cheapest! That's just for this month, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 12:47 AM

6 posts, read 62,135 times
Well, guys, I did spend one hour on the phone with AGL and talked to a supervisor there and basically she was just giving me the same bulls--like every house has a different DDDC factor. After I asked her why my neighbor has a bigger house has only 0.047 while mine is 1.588, she obviously could not give me an answer.

And one thing funny and ridiculous is my neighbor has been living in the house for 8 months now and consumed a lot of gas while he is SO LUCKY THAT ON EACH MONTH'S BILL, IT SAYS 0 CONSUMPTION, what kind of company like AGL makes such ****ing mistakes??? he uses GNG and what he pays is 9.95 customer service fee and 12.95 Pass Through Charge.

It is my 4th month here already. guys, Georgia is a crazy state and too much ****ing bull****, every time I talked to customer service of Gas SOuth, those dumb ******* never even care what I was talking about, either they were playing dumb or they are just damn stupid.

I have one year's contract with GAS SOuth, i will not ruin my credit, but one thing for sure they will not make one cent from me after this November. I know they do not even give a ****, I have made a decision that no matter how much I have to spend on going electric, I SWEAR I WONT NEED GAS SERVICE ANYONE WHILE I AM STUCK IN THIS WACKO STATE.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:03 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,585,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthur30024 View Post
by the way, which marketer you are using?
atlanta gas light

cobb emc customer as well

Old 01-30-2009, 07:21 AM

2,205 posts, read 4,306,264 times
cityrover, your marketer can't possibly be Atlanta Gas Light. AGL is the supplier, but it doesn't bill you. You contract with a marketer and pay their rates. Your marketer would be one of Georgia Natural Gas, Scana, Gas South, Walton, Coweta-Fayette, GasKey, and others.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:58 AM

1,104 posts, read 498,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Cooly, it's a pilot light, not pallet light, and older gas furnaces and water heaters still have 'em. Newer equipment typically has electronic ignition instead, to avoid wasting gas by having the pilot burning all the time. I'm sure there are gas appliances with pilot lights all over the country still, not just in Atlanta, and their presence here isn't caused by Georgia's natural gas deregulation.

About the deregulation, you have a lot more choice than Scana and Gas South. (Careful, though, I think there's a fee for switch marketers more than one a year). You can read all about it and compare rate at this website: Georgia Public Service Commission

In fact, poor you, according to the PSC January rate chart Georgia Public Service Commission for standard variable-rate plans (the kind most people use), your marketer, Gas South, was the most expensive of the bunch this month. And I'm feeling good because my marketer, Fireside Natural Gas, was the cheapest! That's just for this month, though.
Pallet, pilot lol honestly dude, I didnt know the cat was actually saying. This Gas stuff is new to me, I was always used to central air & heating that the electric companies supplied, if anyone can turn on your PILOT LIGHT, who is actually providing the gas? This is why a monoply is good in some example, one company to make your product, one company to get your money, regulated by a higher power to prevent over charging.....but whatever we have to do what we gotta do to keep warm right?

Old 01-31-2009, 05:03 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,585,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
cityrover, your marketer can't possibly be Atlanta Gas Light. AGL is the supplier, but it doesn't bill you. You contract with a marketer and pay their rates. Your marketer would be one of Georgia Natural Gas, Scana, Gas South, Walton, Coweta-Fayette, GasKey, and others.
gas south. i had them reversed

they still haven't corrected my bill though. i need to call them again since its due soon.

Old 01-31-2009, 05:45 AM

7,852 posts, read 12,737,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthur30024 View Post
Well, guys, I did spend one hour on the phone with AGL and talked to a supervisor there and basically she was just giving me the same bulls--like every house has a different DDDC factor. After I asked her why my neighbor has a bigger house has only 0.047 while mine is 1.588, she obviously could not give me an answer.

And one thing funny and ridiculous is my neighbor has been living in the house for 8 months now and consumed a lot of gas while he is SO LUCKY THAT ON EACH MONTH'S BILL, IT SAYS 0 CONSUMPTION, what kind of company like AGL makes such ****ing mistakes??? he uses GNG and what he pays is 9.95 customer service fee and 12.95 Pass Through Charge.

It is my 4th month here already. guys, Georgia is a crazy state and too much ****ing bull****, every time I talked to customer service of Gas SOuth, those dumb ******* never even care what I was talking about, either they were playing dumb or they are just damn stupid.

I have one year's contract with GAS SOuth, i will not ruin my credit, but one thing for sure they will not make one cent from me after this November. I know they do not even give a ****, I have made a decision that no matter how much I have to spend on going electric, I SWEAR I WONT NEED GAS SERVICE ANYONE WHILE I AM STUCK IN THIS WACKO STATE.
Yes, Georgia is wacko and the whole state is crazy because of your natural gas company. That makes complete sense.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:03 AM

1 posts, read 4,464 times
Post going all electric??

Arthur,

Yes, it is ridiculous! That's how the big guys stick us if we use gas. (We have a gas furnace and water heater and Gas South but we can't afford to replace our systems now). Gas South is the cheapest my wife has found-at least you don't have SCANA!!

Anyway, if you want to go ALL ELECTRIC you will need to get a HIGH EFFICIENCY HEAT PUMP (make SURE you get one of the new models that heats the air to 114-125 DEGREES or so). That way you won't have to use your HEATING COILS when the weather is really cold, because the HEATING COILS really eat up the power!!
You will need an electric water heater too, of course.
Once you do these two things then you can wave goodbye to the rip-off gas companies.

ANDREW

Old 02-07-2009, 09:30 PM

1 posts, read 4,438 times
Am I to understand that AGL does NOT charge a pass through fee? I switched to Gas South (signed a 12 month contract) thinking it would be cheaper than Scana and find out that Gas South's pass through fee ($30.100 is much higher than Scana's was ($17.02). Bummer!

Old 02-08-2009, 01:37 PM

245 posts, read 868,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmooreart View Post
Am I to understand that AGL does NOT charge a pass through fee? I switched to Gas South (signed a 12 month contract) thinking it would be cheaper than Scana and find out that Gas South's pass through fee ($30.100 is much higher than Scana's was ($17.02). Bummer!
No, you misunderstood, you can't get your gas directly from AGL, you have to get it from one of their provideres, Scana etc. AGL ALWAYS charges each provider a pass through fee. They in turn charge the customer to recoup their money. Some charge more than others as you can attest to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta