U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2009, 11:08 PM

1,352 posts, read 3,769,708 times

Advertisements

dont feel bad.. AGL just hiked my pass through charge to like 35$

350$ last month's bill. sigh
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 09:53 AM

969 posts, read 2,545,688 times
Demand your legislator repeal the massive consumer fruad known as Natural Gas "choice" today!

Old 04-13-2009, 02:45 PM
JPD

11,849 posts, read 14,459,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaflsc View Post
Demand your legislator repeal the massive consumer fruad known as Natural Gas "choice" today!
That's a good idea, but chances are by the time their 325 day vaction ends they will have forgotten all about our demands.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:17 PM

239 posts, read 767,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaflsc View Post
Good idea, but AGL has a very strong lobbyist presence in the legislature. Many of the legislators are in their pockets, so to speak, so this is not likely to happen. Not to mention, AGL wrote the Natural Gas Deregulation bill and got Perdue to sponsor it so what are the chances that Sonny will be in favor of repealing deregulation?

Some legislators have tried to re-regulate natural gas at least twice in recent memory and the bills didn't even make it out of committee. Sen. Regina Thomas is the most recent legislator to try this that I can recall.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:33 PM

1 posts, read 4,630 times
Thumbs down AGL Pass Through charge

I was apalled when I found out about this. It is a combination of 8 or 10 "taxes" that AGL decided they wanted to contribute to. MORE school taxes, etc.

The board of directors of AGL voted on and passed this ridiculous charge in our bills without one single vote or approval from any government official or customer.

That board runs ramshod over Georgia customers like nothing I have ever seen. Why don't you let our esteemed governor know how upset you are over this?

Or maybe use it as a tool to elect the new governor?

Last edited by Islandwish; 09-24-2009 at 12:34 PM.. Reason: add more

Old 12-10-2009, 05:50 PM

74 posts, read 613,238 times
I am in a new construction house and have been given an extremely high DDDC number, resulting in a pass through charge of $70 this pass month and have been told it will peak at $180 in February.

They keep telling me that they create the number based on square footage and appliances. However, my current house is the same size and has essentially the same appliances of my old house and my DDDC at the new house is 6x the DDDC at the old house.

Has anyone had any luck disputing the charge? I cannot get anyone to explain how it is calculated (other than reading me the web page to me) and they say that they are not willing to explain it or work with us. AGL will not even talk to us since apparently I am not their customer, even though they are happy to take my money.

Thanks.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:59 PM

1 posts, read 4,284 times
Default AGL Passthrough Charge in Georgia

I agree with you. Six to seven months out of the year, I shut off my natural gas in my home. There are no burning pilot lights on both central heaters (upstairs and downstairs). But I get charged between $35 to $45 a month for not using any natural gas through fees such as monthly Service Charges and AGL Passthrough Charges. I get angry knowing I'm still paying for a product that I'm not consuming.

That's like having one oil company like EXXON pumping and producing petroleum to the entire Georgia market through service stations (marketers) who sell the fuel to you at a certain price levels. But rather than just one price, they bill you each month a fee whether you buy gas or not. This is the result of a monopoly. There is no real competition for natural gas in Georgia, because one company owns the "pipes" to deliver the gas. Cable TV is a monopoly. It is difficult to have more than one cable company in a certain region unless a separate cable is hung on telephone poles to deliver the signal to your home by a competive cable company. The infrastructure costs to do this is too expensive. Same with natural gas providers.

When the natural gas market was deregulated in Georgia back in 1999, it was supposed to decrease the cost of buying natural gas by allowing competition among many marketers in selling natural gas. It was suppose to eliminate the natural gas monopoly, as consumers were led to believe. This was a sham and it was unbelievable that people fell for it. There is still a monopoly on the gas distribution, which is provided by one company, AGL, but 15 to 20 so-called natural gas marketers that you must go through to buy your natural gas. They call this competition.

Since 1999, the total cost of getting natural gas to your home has increased and has not decreased. I have invoices that go way back to prove this. The PSC appears to be more of a corporate-governed commission rather than a consumer-supported one. I am currently doing research and I now know that the cost WILL increase in the next three years in Georgia.

How do you fight this? There are three main ways to fighting these utility bloodsuckers.
1) Become as much self-reliant in generating your own energy in your own home as possible. Use devices that use less energy. Take a wattage inventory. Energy costs will continue to climb year after year and this is a fact due to the limitation of fossil fuels and greater demand as population increases. Costs for alternative energy is decreasing in cost and now easier to install or set up. Set up rain water collection points (they did this 150 years ago here in Georgia and other southern states) and use the water for yard watering or filter it for drinking/wash water.
2) If you need natural gas (because you like to cook with it), obtain a large butane tank and have it installed (preferably underground) in your backyard. Fuel trucks can deliver the fuel at a market-priced cost and you pay for only what you use.
3) Begin installing solar panels and wind power on or around your home. Have the energy stored during peaks or sell it back to the electric company. These items are dropping in prices since 2004 as I have monitored them and have installed them at other sites myself. I can't tell you how easy it is to do this. Electric companies are now providing rebates for solar energy (probably to monitor how many of their customers are doing this) and state and federal governments provide tax breaks for the cost.

If you have a gas water heater, switch to electric. Electric water heaters are more efficient. If you have a gas central heat system, switch it over to electric (I'm in the process of doing this as I am trying to research and determine if replacing the whole system is necessary or a small portion of it).

If you perform a simple analysis of the amount of electricity you use in your home month after month, the costs you are currently paying; do a simple cost-benefit analysis of the cost of buying and installing solar and wind and see how quickly you end up paying the costs back with tax and utility incentives. You'll be surprised how quickly you get your money back.

To learn more about the PSC and the Natural Gas market, go to the following web sites:
georgia (http://neaap.ncat.org/experts/georgia.htm - broken link)
Retail Unbundling - Georgia
Stock:AGL Resources (AGL))
Georgia Public Service Commission
Georgia Watch Georgia PSC

To learn about solar power:
Solar Power Calculator | Find Solar
DSIRE: DSIRE Home
Home Power Magazine: Solar | Wind | Water | Design | Build
SPI - Solar Panels
Energy Independence (http://www.yessolarsolutions.com/energyIndependence.aspx - broken link)

To learn about wind energy:
What do I need to know to purchase a residential wind turbine? (http://www.awea.org/faq/rsdntqa.html - broken link)
DSIRE: DSIRE Home
Home Power Magazine: Solar | Wind | Water | Design | Build
Amazon.com: Windmax HY600 900 Watt Max 24-Volt 3-Blade Residential Wind Generator Kit: Patio, Lawn & Garden

I can provide you with more links, but you get the picture. As you can see, the technology is out there and it takes a little bit of education to determine how best to fight these bloodsuckers who take money from you without providing you with any product or service; you can fight back with energy independence.

Sincerely,
James

Old 05-15-2011, 02:30 PM

3 posts, read 6,998 times
Default Taking action!

I too am fed up with AGL pass through charges. My AGL fee runs about $30 month and accounts for a large portion (about half) of my gas bill in the summer. This, along with the benefit of increasing the efficiency of heating and cooling my home and seriously lowering my utility bills, I've taken action.

This past December 2010 (taking advantage of both federal and local electric company rebates) I installed three Fujitsu 12RLS heat pumps that are rated very energy efficient. (SEER=25 for cooling and HSPF=12 for heating) Since heat rises, I installed two heat pumps downstairs and one upstairs.

I was having a difficult time trying to determine if heat pumps would be adequate for heating during Georgia's winters, but I'm pleased to tell you that these efficient units were able to warm my house adequately this past winter...which was generally one of the coldest winters we see here in Atlanta. (I did use supplemental electric space heaters on just a few of the very coldest days). My worst winter monthly electric bill this past season was $150 for my two story 2300 sq ft. home (built 1995).

In the past, during the winter season, my worst gas bill would be about $275/mo and my neighbors concur that this was the case for them this past winter as well. By comparison, with heat pumps, my worst $150 electric bill breaks down to about $100 toward heating and about $50 toward lighting, cooking, and appliances.

Right now, I'm finishing up the installation of a heat pump hot water heater. I'm using the Airtap A7 style mounted on top of a 50 gal electric hot water heater located in my basement. I'm confident this unit will provide adequate hot water, without the use of the water heater's electric heat elements, but they're there if I need them. It also provides the added benefit of cooling and dehumidifying my basement area during the summer, and it will certainly cost way less than the $50 gas bill I'm currently paying for hot water each month. (I would use solar panels for water heating, but my home owner's covenants forbids them, and my local electric company offers a rebate on the heat pump water heater)

As soon as I finish the installation of the new water heater: Good-bye gas line and AGL monthly rip-off service charge...And good riddance!!

Just an observation about what a rip this AGL service fee is: My last gas bill for April 2011, which only provides gas to the 40 gal hot water heater I'm replacing, was more than my entire electric bill which supplies all of the cooking, lighting, cooling, and appliance power to my entire household!

Sorry for the long post and rant, but I just thought I'd share what's working for me in the event others are trying to decide on a direction to improve efficiency and lower utility costs to their homes.

Cheers,
Mike

PS - One can only imagine how much money AGL is raking in for maintaining gas pipes. When's the last time you saw AGL working on the gas lines in your area? Our government has sold us down the drain from the wonderful lobbying efforts of corporations and special interest groups that put $$$ in our official's pockets so company's like AGL can take $$$ out of yours. They win, you lose. (Special thanks here to Sonny Perdue) Aren't lobbying and political contributions a great benefit to our society? And may God help you if you damage a gas line...especially if you didn't have them marked before you dig!

Old 05-15-2011, 03:05 PM

3,129 posts, read 5,141,528 times
Its pathetic and should be a crime.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:24 PM

5 posts, read 11,253 times
I work for the Gas Marketer IGNITE a division of Stream Energy. http://www.dbrockenergy.igniteinc.biz
I am often asked about the passthru charges from AGL. Anyone can switch to Stream for free and save money, sometimes as much as half the previous charge. Click on the Homesite and HIT "Request for Service" or contact me for additional info.
Thanx Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta