Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 06:10 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,564,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
I have no such charge however they sent me a bill for a few hundred $.. apparently they were aware it is not my bill, yet added on like 430 therms to my 8 and waited to see if I would be stupid enough to just pay it.. How nice of them.

Im seriously thinking going off the grid
its like 22 dollars now I think.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:12 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,564,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vik707 View Post
I just realized I have this bull**it charge on my bill also(Pass through charge of $19.95 and customer service charge of $5.75....I did not know to actually get service there is a surcharge!)......so much for deregulating and bringing competition in....thanks for jacking up my bill......what can we do?
The only way I see to beat it is to live with all electric. I wonder why GA still uses gas over electricity.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:50 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,078,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
The only way I see to beat it is to live with all electric. I wonder why GA still uses gas over electricity.
I suspect gas is still cheaper even with the AGL charge.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,693 times
Hey Arthur30024 e-mail me potential help, [email]lkg2002@msn.com[/email]

Old 08-28-2014, 10:11 AM

1 posts, read 1,541 times
Default agl

Can someone explain the necessity of marketers? why does agl need marketers and why can't agl market their own gas? It sounds too much like a gov't that has conspired with agl to stick it to the little guy. Back where I am from there was one gas company Consolidated Edison, and it was regulated.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:51 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,817,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iturn View Post
Can someone explain the necessity of marketers? why does agl need marketers and why can't agl market their own gas? It sounds too much like a gov't that has conspired with agl to stick it to the little guy. Back where I am from there was one gas company Consolidated Edison, and it was regulated.
Actually the conservatives in the state decided to deregulate the gas utility some time ago. I worked at one of the new companies back when it first began. It was over 10 years ago I know but can't remember the year.

Conservatives push the idea that if you have more companies you can find the best price on the marketplace versus using the monopoly gas supplier. It is similar to how Obamacare is marketed too - giving consumers more "choice" and "freedom" with their money. With any utility, you will always pay more due to the fact that the monopoly owns the lines, towers, pipes, whatever it is they are selling you and the monopoly will get their piece no matter what and they will service their own utility and the new company will just charge you a usage fee and pass on the rental cost of the gas pipes to you.

So in a way, it is better to have the monopoly. Many times "choice" is just a way for companies to stick you with more cost. After de-regulation we got an all electric house to avoid the gas charges. I don't understand how people say gas is less expensive than electric. Most months in GA, even in the heat of summer our home didn't have a bill over $200 a month (winter it was actually more than summer) but when we had gas only for hot water and cooking we would get $300 a month gas bills, which was ridiculous.

FWIW, I don't live in Atlanta anymore but the best thing IMO in regards to services and utilities in Atlanta is the sanitation department. I moved back to my home town where they got rid of city sanitation/garbage workers and the service is sub par compared to what it used to be. They do less and now we have to pay a yearly fee when before it was all paid via property taxes like COA. So don't let them take away the city garbage service. It is efficient and cheap compared to other municipalities, even those in Metro Atlanta. I didn't like the watershed there either but it is better it is with the city versus some deregulated company as you would pay more for water if it deregulated or was contracted out.

Old 08-28-2014, 03:31 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,379,079 times
Many utilities charge a connection fee even if you don't use what they provide. Their line of thinking is that you have a connection to their service which you could choose to use. Making that "instant on" connection available to a homeowner means that the homeowner should pay for the provision of the infrastructure and its maintenance to the home. I see some logic in that, but $40 / month seems a bit much to me.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:08 AM

18 posts, read 17,518 times
Can anyone suggest a way to avoid this AGL Pass Through Charges????? This charge alone is MORE than our gas consumption for the month. Something is wrong with this. My gas company is Gas South.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:20 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,996,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kui101 View Post
Can anyone suggest a way to avoid this AGL Pass Through Charges????? This charge alone is MORE than our gas consumption for the month. Something is wrong with this. My gas company is Gas South.
Go all Electric, or Put in a Propane tank (Big) in the back yard.

Update all your appliances.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:34 PM

32 posts, read 35,106 times
I don't know about the propane Someone I know who lives in Acworth just paid about $1200 to fill up his propane tank. Not sure of capacity size but that bill freaked me out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta