Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 05:59 AM

14 posts, read 86,562 times

Advertisements

Hi got a question to the locals...

Our flight just got changed & now we have an over 3 hour layover in Atlanta...is this enough to see something? Perhaps hit the Hard Rock Cafe or see some sights, in brief as we have never been in Atlanta???

Recomendations & tips would be more then helpful...

Taxi, or other mode of transfer?

Thanks,

Barbara
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 07:02 AM

968 posts, read 2,610,444 times
Three hours seems like a small window of time. A late arrival and earlier departure of your next flight could make the gap less. Then keep in mind when you leave the airport you will have to go back through security. That could be as quick as five minutes or 45+.

Hopefully others can share their opinion.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:11 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,601,867 times
Unfortunately, a long time to sit at the airport, but probably not long enough to leave and risk getting back to your gate.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:44 AM

17,403 posts, read 65,528,173 times
Enjoy the sights and sounds of the Hartfield/Jackson International Airport.
You won't be going anywhere in that small window!
Hopefully you're a Crown Room member.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:42 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,758,529 times
Agreed. Don't risk tourism with that kind of time frame.

If you want to live dangerously, you could hop on MARTA (our subway system) and just ride it North up to the downtown area, get off at the "Peachtree Center" station, then go across the platform and ride it back South again to the Airport. The train literally connects to the airport where the baggage claim area is. The Peachtree Center station is carved out of granite and it's a pretty neato underground train station to if anything, take a photo of. Map and more info: MARTA - Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority

You could at least say you SAW Atlanta and rode the train. LOL Provided there are no service delays, the whole round trip might take an hour to and back (?)

Old 01-30-2009, 09:09 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,206,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Agreed. Don't risk tourism with that kind of time frame.

If you want to live dangerously, you could hop on MARTA (our subway system) and just ride it North up to the downtown area, get off at the "Peachtree Center" station, then go across the platform and ride it back South again to the Airport. The train literally connects to the airport where the baggage claim area is. The Peachtree Center station is carved out of granite and it's a pretty neato underground train station to if anything, take a photo of. Map and more info: MARTA - Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority

You could at least say you SAW Atlanta and rode the train. LOL Provided there are no service delays, the whole round trip might take an hour to and back (?)

That's not a bad idea. Peachtree Center Station is pretty cool...very Star Wars.

As for sevice delays, I should mention that there has been a delay either coming or going to/from the airport EVERY SINGLE TIME I've taken MARTA to the airport. It's always between Five Points and the Airport that something goes wrong.

If I only had three hours, I'd stay at the airport.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:12 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,284,505 times
While tempting, I wouldn't chance it.

Check out the atrium of the airport instead. There is a nice Houlihan's with live piano music, and some great people watching.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:18 AM

172 posts, read 391,877 times
Peachtree Center is my absolute favorite station. Not only does it have the futuristic underground civilization look, but it also has one of the longest escalators in the southeast. Words don't do it justice.

Heck, I don't even think a picture would do it justice.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:43 AM

560 posts, read 2,066,055 times
One of the worst travel experiences of my life was when I had a 5 hour flight delay and we stupidly chose to leave the airport since we had "so much time."

Whoops. One missed flight, an overnight hotel stay, and a 16 hour delay to my destination later, I will NEVER do that again.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:06 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,366,158 times
Tour the Internaitonal Gate. No, seriously. Your not going to have enough time to see Atlanta due to traffic and TSA re-entry. The E Gate has the most comfort.
You can also go down to the tram and see the African sculptures between the T and B gates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: