U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 03:05 PM

894 posts, read 3,892,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dls
Thank you JodyH48 (& others) for the good news. I appreciate it. I visited Atlanta & was so happy with how polite & helpful people were.

We just came back from an exploratory long weekend in Metro Atlanta, and I can't agree more about how polite and nice people are there! Far cry from South Florida!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2006, 04:29 PM

56 posts, read 277,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dls
Thank you JodyH48 (& others) for the good news. I appreciate it. I visited Atlanta & was so happy with how polite & helpful people were.
Forgot about Black Widows, they nest in wood piles so you have to be careful, the bite is not usually fatal as believed but painful and sometime you have to go to the hospital, there are also mini scorpions too. No Barefoot!

Old 10-03-2007, 08:54 PM

10 posts, read 39,406 times
Default we are planning to move to lawrenceville

i'm from miami florida, but plan if God help us to move to lawrenceville.

i visit atlanta georgia for two weeks and mean while i was look at the houses
for sale i so the most freaky spiders i have ever seen, please people from
georgia can you tell me what kind of spider makes a gaint web and so thick
like it could trap a small dog in it.

this to me was very scary, i do lawn service he in miami. but what i saw in geogia just gave me nightmare just to think that i would come face to face with one of those freaky spider.

and snakes boy you guys mention some scary snakes, here we only see garden snake and iguanas,

please let me know if any one know what spider is the creater of such
moster web.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:12 PM

Default help me with spiders please please please

[SIZE=2]Hi we are planning to move to Lawrenceville.
I visit Atlanta Georgia for two weeks and mean while my husband and son were looking at the houses
I was looking for spiders since I do lawn service he in Miami Florida
But please can someone tell me what type of spider makes this giant web and so thick,
It looks like it could trap a small dog in it and it will not get away.
This really freaked me out I have never ever seen so many scary spider in my life,
Here all I see is small spiders that are just there and do nothing, and some grass snake.
It seems for what I heard that even the name of the snakes in Georgia are scary.
Does any one know about the web I mention above.
Is there any web site that I could go that talks and shows what web belongs to what spider.
To tell you the truth I am freaking out. Yes Iím a lady that does lawn service for any years in Miami.
And never had a problem with being a woman doing lawn service.
Do you know if I will have a problem starting my business in Georgia because Iím a lady.
[/SIZE]

Old 10-03-2007, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2move View Post
We just came back from an exploratory long weekend in Metro Atlanta, and I can't agree more about how polite and nice people are there! Far cry from South Florida!

you are so right people in georgia are just so kind. i even foregot how kind people are here in miami fla.

if you want to be treated like a dog just come to miami, you will want to run back home.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:31 PM

3,479 posts, read 6,180,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyH48 View Post
No palmetto bugs in atlanta. Roaches only if you keep a very very messy house and never clean up food (assuming you have a new house where there were no previous residents to attract roaches). There are no ubiquitous insect problems in Atlanta. Just keep the house clean, the screens closed and spray inside about once a year, and you will have no problems.
What? No palmetto bugs (which I call cockroaches) in Atlanta? What part of town is that? Everywhere my friends and I live (and that is all over the northern half) has them.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:02 AM

697 posts, read 2,563,393 times
Old, old thread, but can't resist.

Quote:
What kind of bugs will I find around Atlanta?
Answer: all of them.

Besides the beasties mentioned before, we had a serious millipede infestation this year in our basement. I'm talking about vacuuming the whole basement one night and having at least three dozen crawling around various spots by the next morning. Since the weather has cooled a bit from the insane heat back in August, it hasn't been as bad though. Apparently, they like dead vegetative matter, and the former owners of our place were fond of piling mulch and pine straw right up to the wall of the house. They also need a certain amount of moisture, and I suspect the severe heat and drought conditions drove them into the house in search of moisture. They're not dangerous in any way, just a nuisance, but it is a bit disconcerting to have a couple dozen dead ones curled up in the carpet and a few still crawling about every morning.

And anyone who thinks we don't have palmetto bugs needs to open their eyes. I can generally find a few outdoors any time, and they do get inside at times. Still remember vividly nearly 20 years ago, just after I moved to Atlanta, I took a bath instead of a shower one night and was relaxing in the tub with a book, when a huge palmetto bug landed on the book from out of nowhere. "Freak out" doesn't begin to do justice to my reaction.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:03 AM

273 posts, read 1,607,890 times
I haven't had any bugs in my house. Just keep your house clean. I also spray around the outside of my house once a year. No big deal.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:32 AM
JPD

11,862 posts, read 14,468,147 times
We had a huge wheel bug hanging out on the outside of our house last week. As soon as we consulted the insect field guide and identified it we went back to look at it some more and it had gotten intself caught in a spider web. The spider, even though it is pretty huge itself, must've run for cover as it was nowhere to be found. We freed the wheel bug with a stick and later found out if they bite you you'll be in agony and the bite will take a month or more to heal. Scary. They only bite when threatened, though, and are generally considered beneficial. I had never seen or heard of a wheel bug before last week, and since then we've had another one come to our house.

Wheel bug - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-04-2007, 10:44 AM

11,319 posts, read 21,899,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
What? No palmetto bugs (which I call cockroaches) in Atlanta? What part of town is that? Everywhere my friends and I live (and that is all over the northern half) has them.
We've got a few of them in Mableton (and had more at the rental house in Smyrna). Mostly outside, though (they live outdoors and come in through the doors or maybe vents).

Not your average cockroaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or