Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 05:30 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times

Advertisements

You'll find the usual type that you'll find is just about any big city- pants down at their knees, boxers hangin' out, lots of gold chains and teeth, and hats on sideways.

Ohh, never mind- the thread title said "bugs"- I thought it said "thugs"......lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 02:21 PM

93 posts, read 438,913 times
Being from Baltimore, I think the bugs here are way to plentiful and way to big. I think the problem is it doesn't get cold enough to kill anything, so they just keep growing

I had a really bizarre beetle practically attack me on my porch once - about a four inch wing span and I kid you not it had fangs! *shudder*

Old 04-30-2009, 03:06 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
The last time I golfed in the Atlanta area was out in Lithonia.

I shanked one and ended up in some tall grass type swampy area.

Of course, I looked for my ball.

Strange looks from others, hands on hips, shakin' their heads, etc.

Snake country.

Ooops.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:27 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
I don't care for the idea of spraying insecticides all over. We try to keep things clean and not freak out over the odd Palmetto bug that sneaks into the house. They are disgusting things though. Luckily I mostly only find them upside down and dead, after the cat has had her way with them.
We have four indoor kitties, and while Palmetto bugs in our house are a fairly infrequent occurrence, the kitties *do* seem to love playing with them.

Quote:
We probably have a few blue-tailed skinks living around the front of the house, as we find one sunning itself on the front steps from time to time. They are very charming.
Yup, we have a few of those living near our garage, and we also have a bunch of little green lizards living in our holly hedge that wraps around our front porch. Cute little guys...

The only thing I've seen that disturbs me are the little inch-long scorpions we've seen over the past 3.5 years (two dead ones and three live ones). They haven't made it into the house, and I guess they sting like a wasp does so that isn't so bad, but I don't like the idea of those little buggers crawling around outside...

Old 03-25-2010, 11:33 AM

11 posts, read 32,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
We forgot to mention the Anacondas that sometimes come up through the toilets.
Hey That's not funny! I'm a little nervous with all theses response about bugs down there... I'm going to miss you Canada!

Old 03-25-2010, 01:53 PM

504 posts, read 1,545,779 times
Cave Crickets down in the crawl space. Very occasionally some make it up into the house. Not dangerous at all though. They can get pretty big, so look pretty freaky.

Rhaphidophoridae - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-25-2010, 02:10 PM

504 posts, read 1,545,779 times
Oh yeah, to answer some of the previous posts. Someone was asking about a really large spider with thick web. We call them writing spiders here. Argiope (spider) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also a tip about chiggers. Although they can be anywhere out in the woods they do populate Spanish Moss ( Spanish moss - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) when it's around. So if you are going to be in any of the coastal areas or further down in towards south Georgia / Alabama / Mississippi or Florida you will see this stuff. I don't think it grows much in the Atlanta area (not that I've seen anyway). But if you don't want Chiggers avoid getting into that stuff. If you're camping and want to use the Spanish Moss for bedding boil it first. My family's from Valdosta and they use to use it in Mattresses way back in the day.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:13 AM

37 posts, read 152,019 times
I see alot of black widows inside water meter boxes and inside the garage at the returns where the garage door sensors are located. These along with camelback "cave" crickets inhabit crawlspaces and survive through the winter. Attics frequently have palmetto bugs congregating together in the darkness. On all my inspections, I've never turned something over to find the venomous brown recluse spider, but am careful where I reach. Subterranean termites are the No. 1 destructive bug here in Georgia. That's why there are hundreds of pest control companies running around.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:53 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times
just curious, in atlanta do y'all have those big grasshopper looking things that jump up and smack you in the face? no idea what theyre called but some places in texas have them pretty bad. you can be walking around at night, and you'll swear someone just threw a big pebble at your head, only for you to look down and see this ugly brown bug staring right at you waiting for you to retaliate lol

bugs in texas are big, seemingly unafraid of humans and will chase you around the backyard. i've even been chased by a butterfly lol

Old 03-27-2010, 05:26 PM

123 posts, read 380,456 times
Ewwwww how about having those ugly centipedes crawling in your house and the big water bugs, spiders, ants. Yuck I have seen them all in my house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta