U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2006, 06:38 PM
dls dls started this thread

85 posts, read 350,579 times

Advertisements

What kind of insects are there in a normal suburban house
around Atlanta? Big ones like giant roaches or something worse? Is it normal to have an exterminator do interior work on a regular basis? Thanks for any responses.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2006, 08:38 PM

722 posts, read 2,932,157 times
we have cockroackes, a variety of spiders, beetles, flies, bees, wasps, nothing exotic or rare; just the normal kinds of insects- and yes, you can get an exterminator to do work regularly

Old 06-21-2006, 09:57 AM

9,190 posts, read 29,570,003 times
Some people will say it's "normal" to have roaches in your house in the South due to the weather, but if you spray correctly and at the right intervals, you won't.

The only dangerous bugs you see here commonly are Black Widow spiders and Brown Recluse spiders. Widows will stay in hard to find areas and only bite if threatened. Recluse spiders tend to get out and about more, and bites can be very serious to near deadly depending on your body's reaction to the bite and venom. Wolf spiders are common - I leave them alone as they hunt down and kill the bad spiders. Again, spraying will keep this stuff at a minimum.

"Palmeto Bugs" are huge roach-like thingies that can be up to 3 inches in length. They'll sometimes get in your house and when you step on them they give out a huge CRUNCH. They like to crawl in your mouth when you're asleep and lay eggs (ok, maybe not, but I know that got you to freak out by now). Dogs like to eat them.

Old 06-21-2006, 03:30 PM

75 posts, read 239,444 times
Oh dear... is this conversation scary or what?

Don't forget fire ants. They don't get into the house, generally, but they are a plague outside. You'll see these mounds popping up wherever the ground is fairly soft (not hard packed clay), and if you mess with it, they'll attack, and the bite HURTS!

And termites. You'll need to have an exterminator treat for termites, either with bait traps or spray.

We moved into our new house two years ago, and we have not treated the interior for any kind of insects, but have the outside treated. Other than a few spiders, of the harmless variety, we haven't had any problems. There were a few black widow spiders in the garage... we squished 'em, they haven't been back (they don't like places where there is a lot of activity).

Oh... look for little scorpions in the garden, but if you don't mess with them, they won't mess with you.

I've yet to see a brown recluse in my 20+ years living here. Doesn't mean they aren't here... I just haven't seen one.

Cheers,
Diana

Old 06-21-2006, 07:30 PM

Thanks so much for the replies, I appreciate it. I have heard from friends in Florida that Palmettos and other large bugs often get into the house, and I was wondering if this also happens in the Atlanta area. (I'm just not used to that sort of thing, just some little flies, ants, or moths in the summer.) If so, can an exterminator keep them out?Thanks again.

Old 06-21-2006, 10:30 PM

137 posts, read 657,400 times
Bugs are here, but it isn't too bad in subdivisions, towns, etc. Most of the issues arrive in the rural areas. Pest control really helps. But there are great bugs too. Tonight we just caught fire flies! So neat!

Old 06-22-2006, 12:10 PM

9,190 posts, read 29,570,003 times
We forgot to mention the Anacondas that sometimes come up through the toilets.

Old 06-22-2006, 09:30 PM

75 posts, read 239,444 times
Oh pah-lease!!! LOL

(No anacondas, or any other snakes, in the toilets.)

Old 08-10-2006, 02:48 PM

16 posts, read 117,665 times
No palmetto bugs in atlanta. Roaches only if you keep a very very messy house and never clean up food (assuming you have a new house where there were no previous residents to attract roaches). There are no ubiquitous insect problems in Atlanta. Just keep the house clean, the screens closed and spray inside about once a year, and you will have no problems.

Old 08-10-2006, 03:01 PM

Thank you JodyH48 (& others) for the good news. I appreciate it. I visited Atlanta & was so happy with how polite & helpful people were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or