Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 03:34 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,509,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothrat View Post
Detroit had a new stadium. If Atlanta gets a fancy new stadium in Doraville, or wherever, then the NFL will see its way clear to letting Atlanta host another SuperBowl.
The Superdome, Qualcomm, Dolphin Stadium & Raymond James are not new stadiums. 4 of the top 5 Superbowl venues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 04:16 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,898,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolyfett View Post
The Superdome, Qualcomm, Dolphin Stadium & Raymond James are not new stadiums. 4 of the top 5 Superbowl venues.
However, New Orleans, San Diego, Miami, Tampa (Superdome, Qualcomm, Dolphin Stadium & Raymond James) are all located in warm-weather cities which over the years have proven to be the main Super Bowl locations (Super Bowl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and cities condusive to festive outdoor atmospheres that makes The Super Bowl the most popular Championship game in the world. Where else would you want to be in late January?

Smoothrat was simply stating the reason why places like Detroit received the Superbowl...is because of the new stadium they built. The owners who build these new stadiums are basically guaranteed to host a Superbowl as incentive for upgrading their facilities. It's kind of a wink wink deal that Roger Goddell (Commionsioneer of the NFL) has with other owners in the league. That's the reason Reliant Stadium got it in 2004 and Atlanta in 1994/2000 and the reason why Dallas and Indy will be hosting it in 2011 and 2012 respectively. Even the KC Chiefs were scheduled to host the Super Bowl in 2015 but KC didn't pass a tax that would of built a retractable roof at Arrowhead Stadium so Super Bowl off the table!

It's in Miami next year once again!

Old 02-02-2009, 04:20 PM

19 posts, read 76,559 times
Quote:
They also are in cities whose average high temp in Dec/Feb is 10-21 degrees warmer than Atlantas. I think it is possible for Atlanta to host again without having a new stadium.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:27 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,366,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
The Falcons would probably need a new stadium, preferable one with a retractable roof. NO, not the one Sembler proposes in Doraville, it would still have to be located downtown because of the Hotels & amenities. Too much distance between teh Airport, Hotel District, and the new stadium. There are just not enough luxury suites at the dome to accomodate the corporations. No other football stadium has as many hotel room in walking distance to the dome as Atlanta does. I don't think weather is a problem, the superbowl ice storm was a fluke. We have had 2-3 major ice storms in the last 10 years. It's the DOME along with DOWNTOWN that is the driving force for the Superbowls return. As much as I would love a new stadium, I'm not willing to pay for it.

Well, I'm sure I will be blasted when I make comments about Atlanta in the tone I am just about to but sometimes the truth hurts.
The above quote has many many points. I just returned from Tampa and will give you an overview of what Tampa offers, you can be free to form you own opinions.
Airport, the stadium location is very near along with hotels in the stadium area and Clearwater / St. Pete. Key point, think area close to the airport which does drive corporate sponsors and interest.
It was nice staying 12 miles from the airport. You could walk around the stadium, which due to security proved pretty long. Things were well patroled all over. The days before it was nice to go around Tampa to the many parties and restaurants. One could walk free of bother, no panhandling, clean streets, and bright smiles. You could take cabs that were clean, we took them twice. Both times we are going here and boom there we were. The cabs were clean.
The hotels service (Hilton and Marriott for our group) was way beyond good. Rooms clean, service excellent, food great, bars were open with happy staff. Rabble rousing was removed. In the morning you could run, walk, etc. over the city and trails by the hotels depending on where you were, free of bother, maybe a breathing Gator floating around, but none harassing you for your extra change.
The city leadership planned a year in advance. Traffic control worked well, fire and police were staffed.

Just some observations. Now, think of a Superbowl in Atlanta under its current structure Ok, ready for rock thowing now

Old 02-02-2009, 06:23 PM

989 posts, read 1,735,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Well, I'm sure I will be blasted when I make comments about Atlanta in the tone I am just about to but sometimes the truth hurts.
The above quote has many many points. I just returned from Tampa and will give you an overview of what Tampa offers, you can be free to form you own opinions.
Airport, the stadium location is very near along with hotels in the stadium area and Clearwater / St. Pete. Key point, think area close to the airport which does drive corporate sponsors and interest.
It was nice staying 12 miles from the airport. You could walk around the stadium, which due to security proved pretty long. Things were well patroled all over. The days before it was nice to go around Tampa to the many parties and restaurants. One could walk free of bother, no panhandling, clean streets, and bright smiles. You could take cabs that were clean, we took them twice. Both times we are going here and boom there we were. The cabs were clean.
The hotels service (Hilton and Marriott for our group) was way beyond good. Rooms clean, service excellent, food great, bars were open with happy staff. Rabble rousing was removed. In the morning you could run, walk, etc. over the city and trails by the hotels depending on where you were, free of bother, maybe a breathing Gator floating around, but none harassing you for your extra change.
The city leadership planned a year in advance. Traffic control worked well, fire and police were staffed.

Just some observations. Now, think of a Superbowl in Atlanta under its current structure Ok, ready for rock thowing now
I think Atlanta could host a superbowl today, but I agree it can be much better if we did some work with Downtown. Hopefully with a better economy and a new adminstration downtown can start to become the area everyone wants. I think it's the perfect city outside of the warm weather locations.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:56 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,080,860 times
Atlanta will host the superbowl inthe future right now who cares there are tons more sporting events that have been here Big one Olympics so we had our share of sporting events so if they never grant another one then Oh well no sleep lost

Old 02-06-2009, 08:48 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,408,789 times
Let's face it. It all comes down to weather. Sports reporters, sponsers, media and alot of fans just expect and look forward to warm climates for the Super Bowl. The number one complaint of the media during the Atlanta Superbowl was not just the Ice Storm but the cold temperatures. It's like they actually expected to be able to play golf in shorts and hang out at outdoor pools in Atlanta in January. The same complaints were voiced over and over again recently during the Jacksonville Superbowl.

I heard atleast one ESPN reporter say after hearing of 30 degree weather in Tampa a week before the Super Bowl " I sure hope it's warmed up by the time I get there. I want to get in some holes on the golf course".

The NFL tolerates cold weather for cities with brand new stadiums as stated above. But other than that, it's off to Miami, New Orleans, Phoenix,and San Diego as usual.

And also. I guess it shows how old I am but I don't consider the Georgia Dome to be an old stadium. I still think of how huge an improvement it is over the old Fulton County Stadium.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:01 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,509,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
Atlanta will host the superbowl inthe future right now who cares there are tons more sporting events that have been here Big one Olympics so we had our share of sporting events so if they never grant another one then Oh well no sleep lost
Dude you are comparing the olympics to the SUPERBOWL? I ain't talking about what has been here, I am talking about how to play with the big boys. everyone claims how international Atlanta is, but only has 2 SBs under it belt. btw, St. Louis had an olympics as well....are they international also?

Old 02-06-2009, 09:19 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,281,437 times
Bernie was willing to donate $200,000,000 to build the Georgia Aquarium. I know there must be some other ultra-wealthy types in this state that could "donate" some cash to build Georgia a new stadium. I mean, why does it always have to fall down to the little guy to being regressively taxed a crapload of money to build it? Especially since these stadiums tend to have a mixed record in terms of providing economic empowerment to the communities surrounding them.

Yeah, just one more reason why I don't care for Georgia's culture of kowtowing to "big bidness"...

Last edited by AcidSnake; 02-06-2009 at 09:20 PM.. Reason: typo!

Old 02-07-2009, 08:59 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,080,860 times
Quote:
Dude you are comparing the olympics to the SUPERBOWL? I ain't talking about what has been here, I am talking about how to play with the big boys. everyone claims how international Atlanta is, but only has 2 SBs under it belt. btw, St. Louis had an olympics as well....are they international also?

Who said anything about anything being international and i was not comparing i said who cares if we dont get another superbowl Atlanta hs had plenty of major events that other citys like Tampa have not had and St louis Olympics was so so long ago who remembers anything about it And whats the Big boys? We have had 2 super bowls ,how many more do

we need .Youdont have to be an international city in america to get a superbowl ....But all i was saying was the Bigger sporting event that is hard for many USA citys it get ( THE OlYMPICS) Atlanta got and brought way more people from other countrys over here .Superbowl does not have that affect thats why i said i dont care if we ever host another we have had our share of big sporting events and we are still getting more in the future. read my post again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: