Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 08:32 AM

8 posts, read 31,087 times

Advertisements

I am currently going to the University of Florida and finishing my Masters in Elementary Education. I will be moving to Atlanta in May (Druid Hills area) and will be looking for a job from now til then.

Does anyone have any advice as to the best way to apply to schools? I know there is a job fair for Dekalb county in March. How do these normally work? Are principals from local schools there and do they do interviews? Are they even worth going to? Basically, what is the best way to apply to schools in Dekalb county. I am unfamiliar with this process so any information would be helpful! I would really appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 10:12 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,292,503 times
I don't have any solid advice, but you might find this website helpful:

https://pats.dekalb.k12.ga.us/

Old 01-22-2009, 12:11 PM

293 posts, read 1,106,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starstarab926 View Post
I am currently going to the University of Florida and finishing my Masters in Elementary Education. I will be moving to Atlanta in May (Druid Hills area) and will be looking for a job from now til then.

Does anyone have any advice as to the best way to apply to schools? I know there is a job fair for Dekalb county in March. How do these normally work? Are principals from local schools there and do they do interviews? Are they even worth going to? Basically, what is the best way to apply to schools in Dekalb county. I am unfamiliar with this process so any information would be helpful! I would really appreciate it!

Go ahead and start the application process. Go to the website that JPD posted on his post. It is a good idea to go ahead and get your application, transcripts, and references in so that your application will be complete when principals interview you.

I would also start by emailing principals of schools I were interested in. Some of the job fairs are a waste of time because they just take resumes; some do on the spot interviews, but, considering the budget cuts that are taking place in different counties, I would not limit my search to just DeKalb County. Teaching jobs (especially Elementary Education) are not as plentiful as they used to be.

Start first by completing the application process because if you do happen to get an interview, you don't want the principal hiring someone else because they have to wait on you to complete your application packet.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:32 AM

8 posts, read 31,087 times
Thank you for your advice!

Old 01-24-2009, 04:35 PM

225 posts, read 714,853 times
I would also consider applying in N. Fulton County if I were you (speaking from experience).

Old 01-26-2009, 01:46 PM

63 posts, read 195,346 times
Try Gwinnett County. Largest school district in the state. Too many problems in Dekalb, Fulton, and Clayton Counties.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:58 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalc View Post
I would also consider applying in N. Fulton County if I were you (speaking from experience).
It isn't possible to apply to "N. Fulton County" as there is no North Fulton County School System. Applicants apply to Fulton County Schools - no North.

I taught in South Fulton for several years...is there a particular reason you advised only to apply to the North end of the county?

Old 01-27-2009, 05:15 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,659,327 times
Same advice I have given everyone who is looking for a teaching job next year. You must apply to all the systems especially in elementary ed.

Teaching jobs will be no easier to find in GA next year then most other states suffering budget issues. Class sizes have been increased and the state's largest school system (Gwinnett) has received a waiver that could allow them to increase them more. Gwinnett fully expects to see a decrease in the need for teachers next year. DeKalb hired very few "new" elementary teachers this past year. Given the slowing economy, you can expect fewer teachers to be retiring.

The counties of Fulton, DeKalb, Cobb, Gwinnett, and perhaps Rockdale and Douglas should be considered (based on where you are living) as well as the Cities of Decatur, Atlanta and Marietta (and maybe Buford).

Old 01-29-2009, 11:14 AM

2 posts, read 7,607 times
Gwinnett will not be hiring many new teachers this year. We are worried about keeping all of the teachers we already have.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:01 PM

34 posts, read 166,644 times
I, too, am looking for a teaching job in the GA school system. I've applied with Dekalb, Troup, Carroll Co., Douglas Co., Fulton, and soon Gwinnett. I'm praying that something gives in GA because I'm from there, but I'm applying in Alabama too...which we are experiencing a proration. I'm considering expanding beyond those states and applying in South and North Carolina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta