Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Atlanta: transplants, job market, credit report, overtime pay, education.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 07:44 PM

305 posts, read 1,004,722 times

Advertisements

I am another transplant, and I moved to the south about 4 years ago first Florida (JAX) and now here ATL. I must say I thought it was just me, but I really, really, really, really miss home. Do anyone else feel this way?

I have been looking for a job here for the past 8 months and nothing. I am in the accounting field 20 years experience, and I went on a job interview a few months back and was turned down because of medical bills on my credit report when I had a heart attack. I can't believe it, the cost to get my utilities was so much money, they say it was because of my credit score. In NY this would never happen, my hubby is in Law Enforcement, he works at least 20 to 30 hours in overtime with no pay
and he only make half of what we would make in NY

All the jobs are too far to travel, and the only thing I enjoy is my church.

ATL has been better in the aspect of people compare to FL (JAX) but for the most part these are other NY who feel the same way we do in that Northern are not very liked here what is up with that?

I would like some other comments in this respect please thanks all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 08:10 PM

109 posts, read 329,313 times
I miss NY as well. I'm not staying in the Atlanta area. It's not worth it.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:10 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,485,663 times
Most NYC's find others some how.
There is one in my neighborhood --has never said if she misses NYC--seems to stay pretty busy and she has a golden retriever--how she loves that dog. Seems to be thriving.

I can tell you that if you are not feeling welcomed it is probably because so many people are paddling with one oar, so to speak.

If the poster Sweettea1 happens along she could possibly give a few thoughts.

Give it some time and hang in there.

Here's a thread>>>

http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...r-opinion.html

Old 02-02-2009, 08:47 PM

263 posts, read 798,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMISSNY View Post
In NY this would never happen, my hubby is in Law Enforcement, he works at least 20 to 30 hours in overtime with no pay

the only thing I enjoy is my church.
First let me ask, how can you husband work at least 20-30 hours overtime and not get paid?? That's like and extra 4-6 hours each day! Maybe he should look for a part time job for those free overtime hours working as a security officer or bouncer in a club??

And 2nd, if you enjoy your church so much maybe they have some kind of a paid job they can offer you? Maybe childcare or office work?? Ask, you might be surprised!

I do know if you are unhappy where you are at and unhappy about your circumstance that you can convey that to others without even knowing it so maybe that is why you feel people don't like you since you are a Northerner, you are keeping people at bay without even knowing it....?

I am a Northerner that has lived down South for 16 years and have NEVER felt out of place or felt like I wasn't liked because I was from the North. Besides, so many you meet down here (or really anywhere for that part) are from somewhere else. I very rarely meet anyone who is a native Georgian!

Good Luck with everything! Maybe you miss NY so much that it is your destiny to return there?

Old 02-02-2009, 08:54 PM

263 posts, read 574,721 times
"ATL has been better in the aspect of people compare to FL (JAX)"

What do you mean by that? I'm just curious.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:44 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,094,417 times
Maybe its just me but i m always seeing these topics that usually leads to lots of negativity Its done alot in the thread

Old 02-02-2009, 10:58 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,485,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
Maybe its just me but i m always seeing these topics that usually leads to lots of negativity Its done alot in the thread
Yes, well--that's how it is here--everywhere--online and RL.

I think people should be able to speak openly --'Life is not a bowl of cherries without pits', etc

So as long as they don't go to extremes--threaten violent harm to others--I can live with the frustrations.

But, as you noted, once a negative thought gets out it reproduces.

Sometimes all people can do is come online and vent a bit.

Honestly the city is so big and has so much to offer it is hard to know how to connect. If a person seems friendly and we have something in common I don't care about much more than that.

~$.02~

Old 02-07-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalieCat View Post
First let me ask, how can you husband work at least 20-30 hours overtime and not get paid?? That's like and extra 4-6 hours each day! Maybe he should look for a part time job for those free overtime hours working as a security officer or bouncer in a club??

And 2nd, if you enjoy your church so much maybe they have some kind of a paid job they can offer you? Maybe childcare or office work?? Ask, you might be surprised!

I do know if you are unhappy where you are at and unhappy about your circumstance that you can convey that to others without even knowing it so maybe that is why you feel people don't like you since you are a Northerner, you are keeping people at bay without even knowing it....?

I am a Northerner that has lived down South for 16 years and have NEVER felt out of place or felt like I wasn't liked because I was from the North. Besides, so many you meet down here (or really anywhere for that part) are from somewhere else. I very rarely meet anyone who is a native Georgian!

Good Luck with everything! Maybe you miss NY so much that it is your destiny to return there?
I was reading another post about this comment and hearing it from you I can actual say I agree with you. I do believe some of my feeling are from being in JAX FL and not likeing it at all. I went through so much negativity in FL and some of that resembles here. So I will definetly give you that I am sure I do display some negative feedback, without knowing it, and I am trying to get from under that. There are somethings I enjoy about ATL the homes are great for the price, and the churches are nice. I have run across a great amount of NYers here and I don't know somethings are not right and I still miss home. I miss the opportunity to working overtime and being paid for one, and I miss the convenice of being able to go without driving so far. The job market I miss so much and the education system I miss as well. Maybe because NY is home for me, I do believe it is my destiny

Old 02-07-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooring Footers View Post
"ATL has been better in the aspect of people compare to FL (JAX)"

What do you mean by that? I'm just curious.
The people that I met in JAX FL would say extermely racist comments to me. Example, I have went on several job interviews and was told they never thought about hiring a black person before

I have been at work and had another co worker tell another employee the reason she believes blacks was afraid of heights because of hangings
When the employee filed a complaint with HR the job, asked her did she ever have a family member that experience this, when she stated yes, they told her that is why she was offended by this comment and made her actual go to the coworker who made this comment to her and tell her sorry.
These are things I never experience in my life until I came to JAX FL. I was so unhappy that I had to move asap.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:29 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMISSNY View Post
I am another transplant, and I moved to the south about 4 years ago first Florida (JAX) and now here ATL. I must say I thought it was just me, but I really, really, really, really miss home. Do anyone else feel this way?
I do, in some ways. Georgia is a very nice place to live on the surface, but I admit I'm a little bit scared what would happen if either I or my wife were to lose our jobs -- social services are not Georgia's strong point, the unemployment benefit max here is much smaller than what it would be in MN (GA max is $320/week, while MN is $538/week), and it was hard enough to try to keep up with basic bills on the latter plus my wife's income while I was looking for work the last time.

If my last job loss would have happened down here, we would not have survived it financially.

Quote:
I have been looking for a job here for the past 8 months and nothing. I am in the accounting field 20 years experience, and I went on a job interview a few months back and was turned down because of medical bills on my credit report when I had a heart attack. I can't believe it, the cost to get my utilities was so much money, they say it was because of my credit score.
The job search thing sucks. I've been there multiple times, although not down here yet.

With regard to utilities: can't you use your hubby's credit?

Quote:
In NY this would never happen, my hubby is in Law Enforcement, he works at least 20 to 30 hours in overtime with no pay
I've never worked in a salaried position which compensated monetarily for overtime (it's generally been comp time or other things), but I don't know if law enforcement folks are typically salaried or not. 20-30 hours seems excessive, but I know folks who put in those types of hours in other fields. Sounds like the place he works is short of people...?

Quote:
ATL has been better in the aspect of people compare to FL (JAX) but for the most part these are other NY who feel the same way we do in that Northern are not very liked here what is up with that?
I've not run into that, but perhaps folks from the midwest are perceived differently. I also live and work with mostly transplants, which is probably also a large part of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta