Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 02:13 AM

101 posts, read 306,957 times

Advertisements

I am moving to atl soon and I am an up and coming music producer trying to break in the industry. I have heard that Atlanta has a hot music scene for up and comers. I wanted to know is this true and would atl be the ideal place for breaking into music or is it somewhat overrated and would another place be more of an appropriate choice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 05:35 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,371,880 times
I'd say it depends on the type of music you produce. That hip-hop junk is supposedly a pretty hot scene down here, but you don't really hear much about any other music.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:40 AM

248 posts, read 648,712 times
Bob -- calling Hip hop junk is pretty unnecessary. How about a little respectful objectivity, please?

Atlanta is a decent second-tier market for music professionals. Certainly there are better choices such as Austin and LA (depends on your genre), but you could do a lot worse than Atlanta. I was a semi-pro musician/producer here myself for several years and had a great run.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:49 AM

97 posts, read 437,489 times
Atlanta's music scene is superior to all American cities except NYC, LA, and Nashville. Atlanta is the hip-hop/r&b mecca. It has very little for jazz or country, but rock and alternative are extremely popular. Some of the most highly regarded rock clubs exist in Atlanta with many, many artists being broken in this market. Athens, GA has many popular rock venues and is frequented for talent quite regularly as well.

The Atlantis Music Conference takes place each year and attracts a lot of attention globally.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:52 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,289,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I'd say it depends on the type of music you produce. That hip-hop junk is supposedly a pretty hot scene down here, but you don't really hear much about any other music.

That's wrong.

If you ACTIVELY listen to or read about music, you would know that there are numerous non-hip-hop Atlanta bands and musicians who are getting a lot of recognition nationally and internationally.

Here are a few:

Deerhunter
Black Lips
Gringo Star
Snowden
Dead Confederate
Mastodon
Sugarland

You might not hear about these bands if you get your music info from Good Day Atlanta (well, they probably talk about Sugarland), but people throughout the US and Europe (and in some cases, the rest of the world) know about these bands because they all tour all over the place, get lots of press, appear on the late night shows and major tours, etc.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:12 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,076,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reet4587 View Post
Bob -- calling Hip hop junk is pretty unnecessary. How about a little respectful objectivity, please?
Music appreciation is generally a subjective activity. I agree that calling it junk is probably unnecessary, tho.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:13 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,093,408 times
Well the main one is Hip Hop and R&B I think its up there with NYC and LA in this area alot of artist come thru Atlanta to get lay tracks Some of your top producers are here too. Some of your top record Lables are here. There are tons a music Celebs that live here in Atlanta because of that one reason but Atlanta is one of the best place to come if you want to produce R&B and hip hop artist oh and gospel . Nashville is more geared for country.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
That's wrong.

If you ACTIVELY listen to or read about music, you would know that there are numerous non-hip-hop Atlanta bands and musicians who are getting a lot of recognition nationally and internationally.
True, but the same can be said for any city- I'm sure any city could generate a list of bands that are "getting a lot of recognition"- that doesn't necessary equate to said town being someplace that one would consider as a viable place to "break into the industry" as a producer.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Music appreciation is generally a subjective activity. I agree that calling it junk is probably unnecessary, tho.
I guess I didn't realize that subjective opinions weren't allowed on City-Data. From now on I guess we'll all just have to stick to cold, hard facts.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:46 PM

101 posts, read 306,957 times
Thanks. I produce mainly hip hop and r&b but i also do pop too. Im pretty wide open when it comes to music. Any advice on trying to get my music to the right people when dealing in Atl. I mainly want to tap into the majors with producing so what are some good ways of working atl?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta