Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 09:50 AM

154 posts, read 603,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post

If jjordan's parent(s) made a false statement to register her or him in school, that was wrong. The law does not, I presume, say it's OK to register in any school district where you have a childless tax paying relative. Making up your own exceptions to the law is not right, and it's bizarre to me (although seemingly, typical of the American attitude) that MisterNY would comment "fair enough".
Meh. I don't regret it at all. It was a better situation all around. I didn't have to be a latchkey child, I got to spend lots of time with my grandmother (who lived with the aunt and uncle), and like I said, there was a slot being paid for that no one was using. Same thing with the school district I left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolyfett View Post
At first I was thinking its ok for a mother to put her child in a good system, until I read this...

“I’ve never heard of a parent going to jail for taking care of their kids,” said Hale, a bartender and single mother of six children. “I’ve heard of parents going to jail for not taking care of their kids. But taking care of their kids? That’s crazy.”

Pure arrogance!!!

And now for Cooly's take.

This lady lives in Clayton, her sister is a lawyer, now she is trying to put here 18 year old son in a better school? Hmmm

Sounds to me like this boy has beef with some of the male students(thugs) at his old school. At 18 I would think you are at best a senior in HS, at 18 now she wants to put her child in a better school? If I was a Henry County parent I would not want the offspring of ghetto single mother at the same school my child goes to. Nope! Send him back to Clayton to deal with the thugs. I am curious to how many of these 6 children have the same last name.....hmmmm interesting. If one is trying to save their child you start in 1st or 2nd grade, not 12th...by then it is too late. They deserve the penalty. I get the whole lying on address forms to get your child in a better situation, but at 18? cmon.......
Wow. Way to assume! He couldn't possibly be an 18 year senior looking to attend college, and worried about Clayton's accreditation issues. No. That's impossible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 10:05 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,866,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjordan View Post
Meh. I don't regret it at all. It was a better situation all around. I didn't have to be a latchkey child, I got to spend lots of time with my grandmother (who lived with the aunt and uncle), and like I said, there was a slot being paid for that no one was using. Same thing with the school district I left.
There was no such "slot". School funding formulas are not based on some notion that each and every tax-paying household is entitled to send some number of children to school.

Taxes are not your payment for exactly those services that you personally use. They are your payment for your assessed contribution to funding community services, whether you use them or not. Paying a school tax does not entitle the tax payer to put a child in school.

You say you have no regrets because the situation was best for you and your family. Where do you draw the line at breaking the law because that's best for you and your family?

Old 02-09-2009, 10:15 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,397,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
cmtiger, first of all let's put things into prospective you don't know me and this isn't about me just my spin and opinion about things. Secondly, NO I have never had to lie and use an address and I don't no anyone who does to get their kids into a better school. My points and I'm not sure how people don't get it is that I have a problem with a felony and also have a problem with where our educational system is as it should be equal for all across the board. The way in which things are designed right now does not create a solution to the bigger problem.

Atlantapeach, how these schools operate are not as different as private schools. Private schools only one set of parents have to pay for education. With public schools it comes from everyone who pay their taxes, should the people who don't have kids or who have raised their kids be exempt from paying taxes that benefit education? There some where is a cost and nothing is free and all education systems can turn away a child including a public school. If I know I am indirectly supporting the public schools I don't have a problem with letting kids from other areas come to my children's school. I've answered your question several times about who can foot the bill but the many questions I possed to you, you have not answered. In terms of Clayton County being on the road for lossing their accreditation, I'm not sure on the history nor care to really know. Sometimes, where the tax payer thinks their money is going does not quit make it there. But if children who can't elect and or choose where they go to school who also diverse a good education I have a moral problem with this, because uneducated kids become our worst nightmare.
Bay Area girl, I have been reading your posts and understood you from the beginning. As a teacher, I want equality and fairness across the board just like you. Reality is that, it is not fair and may never be with our current system. Like some other Poster said, it is your duty, better yet our duty to demand change if we see fit with poor administration. The parents in Clayton county for example should have spent their energy getting things done instead of trying to con the same system they were fed up with. I'm with you on better schooling, making parents more accountable as well as public officials.

I also believe that you cannot go burden another school district with your child, who you are not paying taxes for. She knew the rules, she had to play by them. Plain and simple. Was an example made out of her? YES! Did she have other options? YES! I hope people can channel their energies to do better instead of trying to bypass/break laws, and cry foul when they get caught. She had other options. Get things done. I dont want to sound elitist, but I believe that there is a fair amount of parents, from my experience from low income areas that do not put much effort in their children's well-being and education. (That can be another topic altogether but it coincides with this one to a certain degree).

I taught in schools, in good and bad areas and will say the involvement with low income areas is low compared to middle class areas. It's downright disappointing. We offered to stay after school helping kids with their homework with no pay, with approval from the principal and parents, while many parents made no efforts to meet us half way, trying to lend a hand. They did not take advantage of what some teachers thought would be good for their kids and them. We thought we could help parents that could not afford aftercare, by helping them and their kids for an extra hour for free, to help kids with homework. Most parents did not care. Put that in any decent school in a good area, and the results would have been different). These are the same parents that will come to parent teacher night when there is only food. That's shameful. No food, they dont come.

This is from unbiased experience. I am against burdening other school districts with kids that do not belong there to begin with. I've seen kids from less desirable areas come to a decent school district and do absolutely nothing. Their parents may want what's best for them, but some of these kids dont put their best foot forward. You also have parents that think by putting their kids in good schools, in good areas, it will resolve many issues with their kids and their education. In reality it does not. I've seen quite a bit in my life as an educator. I can write a book about it.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:18 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,033,026 times
MisterNY, I can appreciate your sentiments. When I was growing up my parents were very serious about education as education was very and strictly important in their countries. So they moved to the "best" areas to give us many advantages (which of course also came with their disadvantages too). I remember the days when we were not welcomed although we were residents and I remember many people that would have done anything to be put in the same situation as us and I must add though we moved to "nice" areas we were not expected to do well and it was a shock that we could perform above and beyond the standard. If we didn't have supportive and or encouraging parents we would have believed that we couldn't perform at the grade level and or have low expectations, and I have seen this happen.

I've also seen wealthy parents check out on their kids, say that their kids drug problem isn't a big deal, pay for their abortions, and just flat out not have time to spend with their kids all while putting them in a "good" school.

At the end of the day I truly believe that parents want the same things for their kids no matter what economic situation they are in. I think some people don't know how to teach their kids and or know how important it is just to show up. Sometimes I think the mentality is just having their kids go to school is doing something very grand thus not knowing that it takes a bit more than that. Also, I think this notion and focus of being entertainers and or athletes is highly received than knowing how to open up a text book.

I don't want other districts to be burdoned and or over crowding their schools and I am not for breaking the law either. But I am an advocate for better schools and really finding solutions instead of creating further problems and I see bigger problems to come. I'm a mom who loves kids and hope that given the opportunity kids not only can be well educated but forward thinkers that can lead or nation (not to mention take care of us when we get old).

Old 02-09-2009, 11:23 AM

11,334 posts, read 25,968,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmtiger View Post
Bay area, NO ONE is preventing this woman from moving to Henry County. You act like there are guards at the county line turning folks away.
The housing market currently prevents most people from easily moving unless they were renters in the first place. It isn't easy to carry two mortgages or one mortgage plus rent.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:25 AM

1,104 posts, read 1,509,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjordan View Post

Wow. Way to assume! He couldn't possibly be an 18 year senior looking to attend college, and worried about Clayton's accreditation issues. No. That's impossible.
LOL not sure when you graduated bucko, but your senior right is NOT the get right year lol. Denial, denial, denial lol. We all know the situation.

Single, 6 kids, beats up a principle, gets caught and says "Im trying to get my son away from bad company!" Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Yea....lets not assume folks.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:26 AM

11,334 posts, read 25,968,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Down here in the US, there's quite a cultural difference apparent. Many Americans think that compliance with the law is something you do when it suits you, you agree with it, and it doesn't get in the way of your other priorities (such as putting your kids in a good school, or having more disposable income).
Please believe me when I say that my old stomping grounds (the Twin Cities) is *FAR* more like Canada than it is like Atlanta in that regard.

Some of the attitudes I see down here still blow my mind. Of course, the folks up in MN have created an educational infrastructure that doesn't lend itself to this kind of situation in the first place.

Now, of course, I'm guilty of making the assertion that the North does things better, but in this case I strongly believe that is true (the situation in MN is better then the one I'm seeing in GA), and I personally think the situation down here in GA is madness.

Education should be important for the entire state, and I see no reason why a mechanism can't be put in place to allow for a certain amount of legal cross-district student movement which ALSO adequately compensates the schools handling the incoming students while doing so.

It's being done elsewhere, and it seems to work. Is the system down here really working?

Old 02-09-2009, 11:28 AM

1,104 posts, read 1,509,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagmypts View Post
I am in complete and total agreement with you but especially the bolded part. Generally speaking, the people who illegally move across school district lines fail to realize that it hurts every kid who is legally there. I know that it may be better for your child, but have you stopped to think about how your actions affect the other children? We have become a very selfish society (I did not want to play by the rules because it does not suit me, I do not want to pay my taxes because I would rather have a bigger house, and the list goes on........ but I do want everyone else to follow the rules), and this is the perfect example. In fact there are posters trying to explain why it is OK to be selfish! It is not OK. If you do not like your school system, then move. If you cannot move, pay to send your child to a private school.
Exactly.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:48 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,033,026 times
rcsteiner, thank you for your comment and is my point exactly!

Old 02-09-2009, 12:09 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,866,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Education should be important for the entire state, and I see no reason why a mechanism can't be put in place to allow for a certain amount of legal cross-district student movement which ALSO adequately compensates the schools handling the incoming students while doing so.

It's being done elsewhere, and it seems to work. Is the system down here really working?
Good thinking. I have no disagreement with these sensible comments. I was irked by peoples' seeming casualness about breaking laws. I certainly wouldn't claim that the GA education system is ideal as it stands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta