Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2007, 09:43 PM

2 posts, read 12,043 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Marietta next month and are going to be renting for a year until we get used to the area. My husband will be working on Windy Hill Rd and we've been told East Cobb and West Cobb are good. What is the difference between the two if there is one? Is Woodstock or Kennesaw too far for Windy Hill rd?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2007, 10:36 PM

1,025 posts, read 4,083,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamienatlanta View Post
We are moving to Marietta next month and are going to be renting for a year until we get used to the area. My husband will be working on Windy Hill Rd and we've been told East Cobb and West Cobb are good. What is the difference between the two if there is one? Is Woodstock or Kennesaw too far for Windy Hill rd?
I'm glad to hear that you plan on renting first. That is the wise thing to do when you can.

Do you have children in school? East Cobb County schools are as highly regarded here as most private schools, so that area is generally going to be more expensive.

From Windy Hill Road (highlighted red on the map) in Marietta, it is about 12-14 miles to Kennesaw or about 18-20 miles up to Woodstock.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:24 AM

304 posts, read 1,426,641 times
Quote:
We looked at both East Cobb and West Cobb when we were planning to move to the area a year ago. Figment07 is right that East Cobb is more expensive. We ended up in West Cobb so we could be close to family that live in Acworth. I'm not sure if schools are important for you, but For East Cobb we looked in the Walton, Lassiter, and Pope HS areas. For West Cobb we looked at the Kennesaw Mtn and Harrison HS areas (ended up in Harrision HS area).

East Cobb seems to be more densely populated, at least that is my impression. West Cobb is growing quite a bit.

When I first moved here, I would commute all the way to the Perimeter Mall area, which was a lengthy commute. I would take all side roads to avoid interstate traffic, and I would drive along Windy Hill. The traffic from West Cobb to Windy Hill wasn't too bad; I think it would take me about 45-50 minutes to get to the Windy Hill/I-75 intersection, and that is driving from the far west side of West Cobb.

Where along Windy Hill will your husband be working? I think Woodstock will probably be too far of a commute, but Kennesaw is a possibility, depending on how long of a commute he is willing to make.

Old 03-20-2007, 05:25 PM

11,334 posts, read 25,977,214 times
Quote:
It might be a good idea to check out Smyrna and other places just to the south of Marietta as well. The commute up Atlanta Road wouldn't be too bad in the morning, for example.

Old 03-20-2007, 08:32 PM

108 posts, read 473,734 times
Default east vs west

My family is relocating to Marietta this summer. Yesterday we drove all over Cobb county, going in circles. I might have lost my sense of directions a couple of times! We are looking at a lower price range, but still found great neighborhoods in Woodstock, Kennesaw and Marietta. Traffic always looks horrendous from Woodstock - in the evening rushhour, backed up almost to 285 (bumper-to-bumper about 5 miles before the 575/75 split). East Cobb is definitely more affluent, although you can find older homes in quiet, well-maintained neighborhoods along Sandy Plains Rd, Shallowford Rd going north to the Woodstock area. I'd hardly say that West Cobb is NOT congested, but there are more industrial areas to break up the rows of shopping centers. We liked the area out the west side of Marietta Square, going southeast along Powder Springs Rd. The northwest side of Cobb towards Acworth seems to move a little better.
I guess traffic is pretty yucky wherever you go. My dad has worked at Delk Road (one exit north of Windy Hill) for 30 years. My parents' first house was in East Cobb, near Johnson Ferry and Roswell Rd. Within a year, my family moved an hour north of Marietta to the north Georgia mountains because my dad figured, if he was going to sit in traffic for an hour (going from one side of cobb to the other), he'd move somewhere peaceful! But now everyone has that idea, so THAT commute has lengthened over the years.
Good luck, I know this wasn't exactly the info you were looking for!

Old 03-26-2007, 04:12 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,505,388 times
Default windy hill

My husband works in Windy Hill area and we just moved to East Cobb from Massachusetts. We are in the Murdock/Hightower/Pope school district. His commutes is 15-20 min no traffic and 25 in traffic. The traffic isn't bad as mostly you are just stopping for lights. We were pleasantly surprised after hearing over and over again about the horrid commutes. Commute time was a major issue for us in choosing an area to live along with school systems. The schools here so far are great as are the neighborhoods. Everything is 5 minutes away.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta