Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2007, 03:48 AM

3 posts, read 9,162 times

Advertisements

Hi Duluth experts,

We would be moving to Duluth [work for AGCO] and need some pointers on 1) elementary schools 2) apt (temp) and 3) house (asap!).

Have lived most of my US life near Chicago in the midwest. Looking for a house worth 275 to 325K (need tennis/pool and a safe community). Need to stay close to AGCO having read all the traffic warnings in this forum!

Having said that,

1) Elementary schools:

Option 1 --> Wilson creek/Shakerag/Finley Oaks -- any opinions? Pl be frank!
Option 2 --> Gwinnet county suggestions?

Any other nearby?

2) Apt suggestions for option 1 or 2 (so we don't have to change school when we buy a house!)

3) Housing: Is my price range for this area realistic?

Any other pointers would be most welcome, plan to visit the area in April/May for a week.

Thanks all!

AGCOMAN!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2007, 05:16 AM

985 posts, read 5,756,737 times
AGCO is on Peachtree industrial road. A lot of nice houses around that.

1) Elementary schools:

Option 1 --> Wilson creek/Shakerag/Finley Oaks -- any opinions? Pl be frank!

All of them are excellent schools. All of them belongs to new city of John's Creek and Northview high school districts. Just a little history, Fulton Duluth 30097 now is new city of John's Creek.

Option 2 --> Gwinnet county suggestions?

Chattohochee elementary school in Duluth high school districts. Parsons and Masons elementary in Peachtree Ridge school districts.

Any other nearby?

2) Apt suggestions for option 1 or 2 (so we don't have to change school when we buy a house!)

Not a lot of options in John's Creek since it is very wealthy neighborhood. Reserve at John's Creek and Avonlea on the River in Northview school districts. Reserve at Sugarloaf and Gables at Sugarloaf in Peachtree Ridge schools districts.

3) Housing: Is my price range for this area realistic?

For Northview school, 300K is min for existing home (mid 90's). It is cheaper in the Duluth, Suwanee (Gwinnett) for existing home, starting at 250s range. New homes are both very expensive in both areas.

All those areas are very nice (John's Creek, Duluth and Suwanee). A lot of transplants are relocating to those areas due to good schools. Northview has third highest SAT in Georgia while Duluth high has 24th highest SAT. Peachtree Ridge (a new school) is not that far behind (disclaim not to endorse SAT, but easy comparsion).

Old 03-16-2007, 01:08 PM

273 posts, read 1,754,946 times
I second the suggestion to look at neighborhoods on Peachtree Industrial, but stay north of Abbots Bridge Rd. You should be able to find a home in that area in your price range. Your commute would be less than half an hour. There are some apartments just south of ACGO. You won't find many apartments mixed in with the nicer neighborhoods, but you could easily find a home to rent in those same neighborhoods.

Johns Creek is nice, but traffic backs up and there aren't enough cross streets. Your commute could be horrible coming from there.

Schools are good in both areas. Don't go by just the stats on the ratings sites. All the schools here have their own websites. Search under Gwinnett County Public Schools.

Hope that helps!

Old 04-03-2007, 01:38 AM

Default Thanks!

Thanks for great ideas .. will post for more help!

Old 04-23-2007, 02:20 AM

Default Some more info needed ..

Hi Experts,

Some people have advised South Forsyth area to consider for my requirements (above). Is it close enough to AGCO office in Duluth?

Which school to target? Need an apartment in the same zone is my constraint!

Thanks,

Ravi

Old 06-08-2010, 02:02 PM

6 posts, read 36,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGCOMAN View Post
Hi Experts,

Some people have advised South Forsyth area to consider for my requirements (above). Is it close enough to AGCO office in Duluth?

Which school to target? Need an apartment in the same zone is my constraint!

Thanks,

Ravi
Hi AGCOMan, I am going to become an AGCO lady next month. I saw your post in 2007 and am having the exactly same questions with the same standards that you did. Could you please share your experience of choosing school, apartments, and buying a housing during the last 3 years? I really appreciate that you may write an email to me at lug127@psu.edu and then I can have a chance to learn from you. Thank you so much! Lin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta