Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 10:16 PM

13 posts, read 61,236 times

Advertisements

Collier Heights has some unique homes and history, but has not experienced the same level of new sub-divisions, tear downs/re-builds, or restorations.

Considering Collier Heights is part of the same NPU as Cascade Heights and Audobon, is this neighborhood poised for development? One of the city's most prominent developers grew up in Collier Heights,still has family in Collier Heights, but has developed the SkyLoft project in WestEnd.

I'm considering buying in Collier Heights, Sylvan Hills, West End and Reynoldstown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 07:19 AM

Default One more try

Thanks for the answers in the hot intown thread. The answers will help me make my choice. That said, It became obvious there is n't much knowledge/opinion of Collier Heights on this board.

None the less, I thought I would bump this thread up to generate more specific reaction to this neighborhood. I'm not from Atlanta, but have driven through the neighborhood. Some areas are fine, while others need help, but I see potential to revive this area.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:35 AM

23,374 posts, read 43,853,195 times
I am not intimately familiar with Collier Heights (truth be known, I tend to confuse it with Collier Hills in Buckhead), but it does sound intriguing. If it does receive Historic District status (as has been proposed), that will certainly give it added cache.
Here's an article about the HD proposal (love the round house):

www.ajc.com/homefinder/content/homefinder/stories/2008/09/21/collier_national_register.html (http://www.ajc.com/homefinder/content/homefinder/stories/2008/09/21/collier_national_register.html - broken link)

I, too, am intrigued by Reynoldstown and have thought about investing there. I have stated my reasons on this forum before but here they are:
- has it's own MARTA rail station
- access to other great historic neighborhoods that are well along the gentrification curve (Inman Park, Candler Park, Old Fourth Ward, East Atlanta)
- access to basic amenities (Edgewood Town Center)
- lack of thoroughfares give it seclusion

Old 02-19-2009, 08:28 AM

Default Thanks

Lovin'Decatur,
I've read the article before.

For as long as anyone here can remember, most African-American neighborhoods have been mixed-income.

It would appear Collier Heights lost some of its cachet once Cascade opened up to African-Americans. Natives and transplants are more interested in buying new homes or nicer older homes in ATL SW or the 'burbs than boosting historic African-American communities.

There's no reason why middle income African-American's should not be a part of the effort to revitalize( profit ) from Atlanta's gentrification boom.
Depending on your background, you may be more inclined to live near working class or poor people (regardless of race)

Old 02-19-2009, 04:21 PM

An interesting debate on above topic

WNYC - The Brian Lehrer Show: Gentrification and the Black Middle Class (June 16, 2008)

Old 02-23-2009, 05:04 PM

129 posts, read 388,872 times
Default Interesting topic

Collier Heights has lost some cachet. Unlike Cascade Heights,and other parts of the SW Atlanta metro , you won't find a $400-$500K home being built there. None the less, new homes are going up

For example, The Collier Heights Enclave is a new community being built with homes ranging from $250's to $310's. You can buy a 60's-70's era ranch home for $70-$170K in the neighborhood. The older homes provide a good value for first time buyers.

I would argue, the area needs young African-American couples to re-discover this historic neighborhood; the same,somewhat rare, "urban pioneer buppies or would-be buppies " taking root in Old Fourth Ward, Grant Park, or West End. The neighborhood has the surburban feel many "black flighters" have left the city limits to find. It could be crucial to the strengthening of the western Bankhead Corridor just inside I-285.

This Bankhead/Hollowell stretch should be poised to grow and become more diverse in the coming years. The eastern edge near midtown is already changing. This part of N.W. ATL could blossom into something very special. Because there's no Georgia Tech nearby, the western edge (North Collier Heights, Almond Park Grove Park) near I-285 probably won't take off the same way without leaning on the cachet Collier Heights has.

The HOPE VI re-invention of Bowen Homes will be a big help to improving the corridor; it should help ignite the so-called "Woodmere and Jackson Districts" for residential,and MUCH needed retail.

Development Authority plan Document link below

http://www.atlantada.com/buildDev/documents/DL%20Hollowell%20Neighborhoods-09-26-08.pdf

http://www.atlantada.com/buildDev/documents/Hollowell-MLKingTADRedevelopmentPlan-Final.pdf

Good Luck ICANRETIRE. Kudos to ALL urban pioneers. They will make the city and region stronger.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:34 AM

Good observations Mr. Simpson. Thanks for the link. If I'm looking more ammenities now, I guess it would go in this order: East, Southest, Southwest,and Northwest ? Or would it be East,SW,SE and NW

Last edited by ICANRETIRE; 02-25-2009 at 07:46 AM..

Old 03-01-2009, 12:34 PM

129 posts, read 388,872 times
East and Southeast, at this moment, is where you would find the most desirable neighborhood amenities, as well as, prospects for more amenities.

SW Atlanta would be next in line. Only within the past few years has retail begun to catch up with residential growth in this part of town.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:48 PM

163 posts, read 306,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICANRETIRE View Post
I'm considering buying in Collier Heights, Sylvan Hills, West End and Reynoldstown.
If you are open to Sylvan Hills then first consider Capitol View which
is right next door and also has a head start on general area improvements.
I know Sylvan Hills quite well and its starting to show promise but CV would be a slightly better move. The city park right near CV is called Perkerson Park and its looking much better these days than it used to so try to find something near there.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:10 PM

Smile Thanks

I'm considering Capitol View after driving thru this past weekend (great brick homes!). I had narrowed my search to Collier Heights and West End.

Both neighborhoods have great housing stock, history, and access to the interstate, as well as, multiple MARTA options. I'm leaning towards W.E., because of the existing shops and activities.

Last edited by ICANRETIRE; 03-02-2009 at 06:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta