U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 12-07-2011, 07:36 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
3,771 posts, read 2,945,528 times
Reputation: 1944

Advertisements

I have a personal interest in Capital views success... it is where my great grandad lived (well capital view manor) and he never moved out and we still own the house...

but I dont think its next in line, even though ive seen some subtle improvements over the years... I think it is more like 2 or 3 in line. I think further progress on the Beltline will improve things, but the area around it just has some very cheap, small, and rundown housing stock that will always affect the area, especially the older neighborhoods where factory workers use to live just north of capital view.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-08-2011, 10:58 AM
 
Location: Kirkwood
7,496 posts, read 4,271,907 times
Reputation: 1678
Quote:
but what surrounding neighborhoods are gentrified ?
Poncey-Highland which borders Old 4th Ward to the north and Sweet Auburn. Both neighborhoods have good access to transit and that will increase the appeal.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2011, 11:18 AM
 
9,125 posts, read 23,770,585 times
Reputation: 3348
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Poncey-Highland which borders Old 4th Ward to the north and Sweet Auburn. Both neighborhoods have good access to transit and that will increase the appeal.
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see that area as really being "gentrified" quite yet. I visit Virginia Highlands for lunch fairly often, and will sometimes come up North Ave to Moreland to get to Highland Ave, and the area back there is still pretty ratty, IMO. Granted, there are some decent businesses along Ponce, but the housing stock I've seen is still pretty rough. If I'm missing something, please feel free to point it out to me.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2011, 11:27 AM
JPD
 
7,959 posts, read 8,235,307 times
Reputation: 3653
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see that area as really being "gentrified" quite yet. I visit Virginia Highlands for lunch fairly often, and will sometimes come up North Ave to Moreland to get to Highland Ave, and the area back there is still pretty ratty, IMO. Granted, there are some decent businesses along Ponce, but the housing stock I've seen is still pretty rough. If I'm missing something, please feel free to point it out to me.
North Avenue is not the least bit ratty (except near Boulevard, which is not Poncey Highland). What area, specifically, are you referring to?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2011, 11:47 AM
 
15,076 posts, read 9,818,281 times
Reputation: 3606
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see that area as really being "gentrified" quite yet. I visit Virginia Highlands for lunch fairly often, and will sometimes come up North Ave to Moreland to get to Highland Ave, and the area back there is still pretty ratty, IMO. Granted, there are some decent businesses along Ponce, but the housing stock I've seen is still pretty rough. If I'm missing something, please feel free to point it out to me.
Poncey-Highland is pretty ritzy these days. According to the neighborhood association:

Housing trends:
Sales of new homes: 161, up 14%
Sales of existing homes: 330, up 6%
Median sales price of new homes: $350,000, up 14.6%
Median sales price of existing homes: $371,600, up 2%

We have some good friends over there who've done major ($300K) renovations to their homes so they could stay in the neighborhood. There are plenty of homes that would probably fetch close to a million.

It's one of the most walkable areas in the city and I love the fact that you can walk to so many great restaurants. The schools over there are highly desirable and bursting at the seams. They've got Freedom Park right there and are within a mile of Piedmont and Candler Parks. If I'm not mistaken that area is going to be one of the first to benefit from the Beltline.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2011, 11:51 AM
 
8,712 posts, read 12,326,546 times
Reputation: 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Poncey-Highland is pretty ritzy these days. According to the neighborhood association:

Housing trends:
Sales of new homes: 161, up 14%
Sales of existing homes: 330, up 6%
Median sales price of new homes: $350,000, up 14.6%
Median sales price of existing homes: $371,600, up 2%

We have some good friends over there who've done major ($300K) renovations to their homes so they could stay in the neighborhood. There are plenty of homes that would probably fetch close to a million.

It's one of the most walkable areas in the city and I love the fact that you can walk to so many great restaurants. The schools over there are highly desirable and bursting at the seams. They've got Freedom Park right there and are within a mile of Piedmont and Candler Parks. If I'm not mistaken that area is going to be one of the first to benefit from the Beltline.

And Jane Fonda use to live in the neighborhood until recently...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2011, 12:01 PM
 
9,125 posts, read 23,770,585 times
Reputation: 3348
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
North Avenue is not the least bit ratty (except near Boulevard, which is not Poncey Highland). What area, specifically, are you referring to?
I just looked at the map. Maybe I'm on the wrong side of Moreland, behind Foxx Brothers, specifically.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2011, 12:13 PM
 
15,076 posts, read 9,818,281 times
Reputation: 3606
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I just looked at the map. Maybe I'm on the wrong side of Moreland, behind Foxx Brothers, specifically.
That's not Poncey-Highland. To me that would be more in the Inman Park or Candler Park neighborhoods, both of which are thoroughly gentrified and quite pricey.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2011, 12:20 PM
 
9,125 posts, read 23,770,585 times
Reputation: 3348
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
That's not Poncey-Highland. To me that would be more in the Inman Park or Candler Park neighborhoods, both of which are thoroughly gentrified and quite pricey.
That's really odd, then, because there's some pretty beat up stuff back there, and having that train line to stare at on Dekalb in pretty unappealing.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2011, 12:34 PM
 
15,076 posts, read 9,818,281 times
Reputation: 3606
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
That's really odd, then, because there's some pretty beat up stuff back there, and having that train line to stare at on Dekalb in pretty unappealing.
You'd be surprised, though. Those places along DeKalb Avenue are very popular.

In my opinion trains are kind of a mixed bag. Some people hate them, yet they wind all through some of the most exclusive real estate on the planet. Personally I sort of like them.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top