Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 10:52 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,206,498 times

Advertisements

So, mexicans are lazy? I guess that's why we give them our most labor intensive jobs. Makes perfect sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 10:56 AM

826 posts, read 3,110,138 times
This thread has turned out alot better then I thought it would. I have no issue with this. We go to Europe at least once a year, everyone other there speaks at least 2 languages.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:19 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,397,289 times
Good points everyone. I dont have a big problem with Publix doing it, but from experience in South Florida, it does no good in the long term.

There is nothing wrong with tolerance, acceptance and inclusion. But the line has to be drawn somewhere. While it's not a big issue for a private company like Publix to put spanish as an option, I dont see it right for them not to include Mandarin or French. This is where the problem begins.
I dont think they will put it either, because these cultures make it their duty to learn the language. No handouts for bilingualism for them, so they learn. There should be no preferential treatment for latinos, because they are the second largest group in the USA. Makes no sense since the hundreds of other groups that dont speak English as their native language learn the language.

I speak a few languages (my mother is South African born, of Belgian origin, so I had to learn and speak French at home). I learned Spanish on my own. (I speak, read and write it. Not the best, but good enough to live in any Latin country ). I lived in the Dominican Republic for a short while too. I learned the language, and did not expect the locals to speak English to me.

What I dont like is when people who have been here for more than 20 years (I'm speaking of many Latinos down in Miami), and never learn the language, I have an issue with that. How can you be in a country for 20+ years, and not speak a word of English, and look at me as if I'm crazy when I say "Hablas Ingles?" (To those who dont understand, it means, "Do you speak English"?).
South Florida has a large population of Latinos and Caribbeans. You also have Haitians and French Canadians that learn and speak the language. What's so hard for the latinos to learn? It's the tolerance. Nothing more.

If you are going to make this country your home, have some decency to learn the language. Accent or no accent, learn it, practice it, speak it. There are plenty of Adult Education classes available to learn and practice. It becomes a burden when taxpayers have to put out more money for programs (ESL/ESOL) that some dont even take advantage of.

In South Florida, the whole language barrier is a nightmare. There are plenty of Latinos that speak English, but there are some that make no effort to learn it, simply because they dont have to. Everything is in Spanish down here, from Billboard signs to the Radio DJs on English speaking radio stations throwing something in Spanish the avg citizen may not understand. I understand, but it's not fair for the person who moved from Nebraska and needs instructions, direction or just plain help.

There's a level of tolerance one can only take. Should we also include ebonics, since there are some that may not make the effort to speak proper English? It may be an extreme example, but what's everyone's opinion on that?

I'm by no means racist. This is not a racist post. I'm very accepting of everyone. Im of mixed heritage and culture, my wife is Black (caribbean).
I literrally embrace every race, culture, religion, form of music, art etc.. but somethings need to be said about some things.

I think Publix can do whatever they want, but is it a step in the right direction? NO!! Plus it's lazy. You go shopping for MILK, why should I put "LECHE"under 'MILK'? Isnt the avg person smart enough to know that it's milk to begin with? It's right there, isn't it? . The sign in Spanish is redundant to begin with. Just something to think about.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:28 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,397,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merin View Post
This thread has turned out alot better then I thought it would. I have no issue with this. We go to Europe at least once a year, everyone other there speaks at least 2 languages.

Same here. We visit my relatives and friends in Europe when we can. I was in France and Switzerland last summer. You are right. I get around with no problems, and no language barrier issues. English and French are two languages I speak fluently, and do well in Spanish. The mentality over there is totally different, but so is the language issue.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:19 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,132,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Ok, first before I post the story link, let me just say that it's a good topic for debate, BUT, if people get out of hand, it'll be shut down. The terms of service for the site are still in effect here. Voice your opinion, but keep it civil.

The topic: A Publix grocery store in Norcross is now adding 1500 Spanish items to their shelves, and the store signage will now all be in English and Spanish.

Their argument: 50% of their local customers are Hispanic. Other arguments: It's an insult to Americans and causes Spanish immigrants here to not have to learn the language when you cater via signs, etc. Debate it and once again, keep it civil and on topic.

Story: Switch To Spanish Sparks Debate At Norcross Publix - News Story - WSB Atlanta
I lived in Texas for a few years, so it's not a big deal for me. I got used to everything, including phone calls and letters from school, spoken and written in English and Spanish. While I don't think we should HAVE to learn Spanish, the reality is we may need to. We are not all of a sudden going to have all of the Spanish speakers learn English. I'm more frustrated by the Korean signage with no English.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:23 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,347,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
I'm more frustrated by the Korean signage with no English.
At least with Spanish I have some hope of pronouncing it (especially since I've studied some Spanish). But its pretty hopeless when all I see is: 식료품점

Old 02-18-2009, 01:51 PM

13,975 posts, read 25,815,937 times
When we left So. FL three years ago, the local CVS had signs in both Spanish and English, but the Spanish was what showed as you walked into the store. Most of the South Americans where I lived were bilingual, but chose to speak Spanish. Good luck finding a job down there if you can't speak it, blue collar or white collar. Meanwhile, they did away with foreign language in elementary schools, when it is easiest to learn. I don't think it can be both ways. If they want our society to be Spanish inclusive, start it in kindergarten.

BTW, I've noticed Pantene shampoo labels have been in predominately Spanish for months now.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:53 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,866,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Good points everyone. I dont have a big problem with Publix doing it, but from experience in South Florida, it does no good in the long term.

There is nothing wrong with tolerance, acceptance and inclusion. But the line has to be drawn somewhere. While it's not a big issue for a private company like Publix to put spanish as an option, I dont see it right for them not to include Mandarin or French. This is where the problem begins.
I dont think they will put it either, because these cultures make it their duty to learn the language. No handouts for bilingualism for them, so they learn.
By French in Florida, I presume you're meaning the numerous French Canadian snowbirds? If those are the folks you mean, the comment about "no handouts for bilingualism" is beyond funny. Not in the US, because it's not their country, but at home....!

Lest anyone think I'm a member of the English-only party here, I should say that like most English Canadians, I roll my eyes at times over some of the costs of Canada's official bilingualism, but support it by and large. Here in the US, I think the Spanish speakers will assimilate in a generation or two, just like the immigrant Italians, Jews, Poles, Germans, etc. did in generations past. Meanwhile, Publix should serve its customers however it sees fit.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:05 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,783,258 times
Uh oh, where are all the Floridians gonna go now...

Old 02-18-2009, 09:57 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,613,796 times
I really don't see a problem with it. Spanish is already on some of the products at the store (like popcorn) and we'll have to start getting used to this anyway (I can adapt to Spanish better than Mandarin).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta