Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 07:50 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,295,787 times

Advertisements

You don't have to go to far south to encounter a more rural environment. For example, Chattahoochee Hill Country in South Fulton is very rural and scenic, and it's very close to the airport and downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 11:05 AM

314 posts, read 1,273,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnishere View Post
No, ATL burbs are what I'm talking about. Thing is, here is Detroit, density is 6,850 folk per square mile. Atlanta city is 3,920 !! And the ATL outskirts are even a little less dense than that. ATL suburbs even less. So compared to Detroit, Atlanta city ITSELF is like a suburb! I've been here so long that I guess I'm used to it, but were stacked liked sardines! OK, not really. The difference is that ALL neighborhoods here in the city are on a grid - a square grid. 6 Mile Rd, 7 Mile Rd, 8 Mile Rd.... and all north-south, east-west streets. All perfectly lined up like geometry. Therefore, you would be hard pressed to find ANY wasted space.

I know it may not seem like it, but compared to Detroit, you guys have all sorts of space. In between the subs, etc. I know, in midtown it is pretty dense there, but overall I could find plenty of places even IN the city there, that I would have to move WAY outside of the city limits here just to find. Just for example, if I were there over near Northside and Wesley. Man! Forget Detroit suburbs... that's like RURAL compared to what we have.
learn to love the grid! that is one of the main problems with atlanta burbs...everyone has to funnel onto the same road (as there is only one way in and out of said subdivison) to go anywhere, so traffic is a nighmare.

Detroit is lucky to have this!!

if you like Novi, you'll like the Atlanta burbs...

keep in mind the space between subdivisions are typically kinda a dead zone, not a park or anything, nothing to really use, just someplace pretty to drive by.

you may find what you are looking for further south of the city...I'm not that familiar with the area, but Peachtree city gets rave reviews...

if you can afford Northside by Wesley go for it! great spot...close to everything and large lots...more like Orchard Lake...with out the lakes...

Old 02-19-2009, 11:05 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,719,630 times
Quote:
No, ATL burbs are what I'm talking about. Thing is, here is Detroit, density is 6,850 folk per square mile. Atlanta city is 3,920 !! And the ATL outskirts are even a little less dense than that. ATL suburbs even less. So compared to Detroit, Atlanta city ITSELF is like a suburb! I've been here so long that I guess I'm used to it, but were stacked liked sardines! OK, not really. The difference is that ALL neighborhoods here in the city are on a grid - a square grid. 6 Mile Rd, 7 Mile Rd, 8 Mile Rd.... and all north-south, east-west streets. All perfectly lined up like geometry. Therefore, you would be hard pressed to find ANY wasted space.

I know it may not seem like it, but compared to Detroit, you guys have all sorts of space. In between the subs, etc. I know, in midtown it is pretty dense there, but overall I could find plenty of places even IN the city there, that I would have to move WAY outside of the city limits here just to find. Just for example, if I were there over near Northside and Wesley. Man! Forget Detroit suburbs... that's like RURAL compared to what we have.
I think you just answered your question...you don't have to really leave the city at all to find something a little more isolated on a larger plot of land. I'm not aware of many areas inside the Perimeter that fit your description, but there are plenty of them in the suburbs. As you already know, the northern suburbs are more congested than those going in the other 3 directions...but there isn't a definitive boundary that you have to cross to find what you're looking for - in Atlanta it might be found anywhere.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:09 AM

11,334 posts, read 25,968,863 times
Quote:
So my main question is: How far north in the city or past city limits do you have to go before you get out of the hectic/city-pace zone?
Most places outside the I-285 perimeter should qualify, and some areas inside the perimeter.

Keep in mind that the Atlanta suburbs extend 15-20 miles (or more) out from the center in some directions.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:15 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,741,339 times
Quote:
Most of the inner suburbs are more dense than Atlanta. There's just a small chunk of Atlanta that's very dense, tipping the scales. The rest is more suburban in nature. Then density increases again in the inner suburbs. Detroit is very similar (though you only have to go up to around 7 mile). There are parts of Detroit that are almost vacant, especially near Gratiot right outside of downtown. Then there's areas like Southfield, Royal Oak and Redford which are pretty dense. Interestingly, one major difference is that metro Atlanta has a lot more vertical development. That kind of makes sense because areas prime for vertical development take off.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:19 PM

85 posts, read 284,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
There are parts of Detroit that are almost vacant, especially near Gratiot right outside of downtown. Then there's areas like Southfield, Royal Oak and Redford which are pretty dense.
Aye, there's the rub. The difference is that here in Detroit, areas that are vacant (such as outside of downtown and parts of east side) are areas that "were" developed at one point, but over time just deteriorated, and of course it's not financially practical to build new units in those areas. So they just end up being the little pockets of "third world" looking blocks of half-falling down houses and empty lots. Much of the 'open' area of Atlanta is simply tree-filled areas that just haven't been built into yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
Interestingly, one major difference is that metro Atlanta has a lot more vertical development.
There's the irony: More vertical in Atl, and yet Detroit is STILL nearly twice as dense in nearly the same amount of space.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:31 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,719,630 times
Quote:
Aye, there's the rub. The difference is that here in Detroit, areas that are vacant (such as outside of downtown and parts of east side) are areas that "were" developed at one point, but over time just deteriorated, and of course it's not financially practical to build new units in those areas. So they just end up being the little pockets of "third world" looking blocks of half-falling down houses and empty lots. Much of the 'open' area of Atlanta is simply tree-filled areas that just haven't been built into yet.

There's the irony: More vertical in Atl, and yet Detroit is STILL nearly twice as dense in nearly the same amount of space.
That's the great thing about Atlanta...people can live in a variety of areas and still have a choice of higher density or lower density living.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:54 PM

16,626 posts, read 29,278,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
That's the great thing about Atlanta...people can live in a variety of areas and still have a choice of higher density or lower density living.
So true...so very, very true. Most major world cities don't have this advantage...this was actually mentioned in Economist (maybe Fortune) magazine several years ago...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta