Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 07:44 AM

6 posts, read 24,412 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=2]Hello Everyone,

I know the economy is very bad and EVERYONE is looking for a job. I know that teaching is a very easy job to get into and so the market is saturated. With that being said I am wondering how hard it will be to get a job teaching in the Atlanta area for the 2009-2010 school year. I have been teaching high school social studies for nine years in Maryland. I have taught World History, American History, and American Government. I have also been teaching in the high school law program they have for students now. I taught Intro to Law and Criminal Justice, Street Law, General Law, Institutional Principles and Trial and Advocacy.

I also have experience coaching debate, cheerleading and dance. I have also been a class advisor for five years as well as a department chair for one.

I am desperately looking for a teaching job in the Atlanta area. I live in Maryland now but my significant other lives in Georgia so I would like to move asap but I dont want to move without a job.

Does anyone have an advice on how to get hired? Much like everyone in the United States I am DESPERATELY SEEKING A JOB!. I am already planning on attending the job fair in March. Is there anything else I need to do? I really need a job bad and I am afraid with so many applicants I wont find something.

IF NOT WHEN I RELOCATE, I am looking to go back to school to get a Masters in Special Education. I already hold one on School Administration and Supervision as well as another one in Human Resources. I also hold a certificate in Management and leadership.

Please please please give me any advice you can. I am anxious to relocate. Thank you in advance.
[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 07:47 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,269,238 times
Good luck. Most of the districts are seeing less growth than they had been in past years, and they're also seeing less movement of existing employees, so it's definitely not going to be an easy task to find a position. If you were in math or science it might be slighty better, but still tough. I'd definitely make sure you've got a position before moving down here, though- the last thing you want to do is end up with a nasty commute because you end up working on the opposite side of town from where you live.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:45 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,661,449 times
I know Cobb Schools is rumored to actually cut positions. I also heard something about increasing class sizes by 3 students but don't remember if that was Cobb or a state thing.

If you want to brave the mess, I'd imagine Clayton teachers are needed.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:05 PM

I am a teacher in Baltimore right now. I work at a school where 2 teachers were assaulted by the students. So it really cant be worse than that. 4 Teachers had quite by November. We have a hig gang population and all kinds of other issues but I have been able to stick it out. I am one of the teachers that have been there the longest and I have only been teaching for 9 years. :-| So I imagine Clayton would be a walk in the park for me.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:57 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,774,506 times
Check the thread you started yesterday:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...ml#post7540147

Old 02-20-2009, 06:07 PM

59 posts, read 227,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
I know Cobb Schools is rumored to actually cut positions. I also heard something about increasing class sizes by 3 students but don't remember if that was Cobb or a state thing.
I'm a teacher in Cobb County and we received an email at the end of the day today about a mandatory staff meeting on Monday morning. Don't know what it's about but there's plenty of speculation and rumors. Unfortunately, this is my first year in Cobb after teaching for four years out of state and I'm the low man on the totem pole.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:20 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,867,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtotheATL View Post
I'm a teacher in Cobb County and we received an email at the end of the day today about a mandatory staff meeting on Monday morning. Don't know what it's about but there's plenty of speculation and rumors. Unfortunately, this is my first year in Cobb after teaching for four years out of state and I'm the low man on the totem pole.
I would imagine the meetings are to explain impacts of this: Cobb County School District Home Page (http://www.cobbk12.org/news/2009/20090220_BudgetCuts.htm - broken link)

Old 02-20-2009, 08:52 PM

Thank you for the information Brookdaleresident. I am new to this forum and I couldnt find my original posting. Thanks for all of your help and the information you provided.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:28 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,774,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommysbaby View Post
Thank you for the information Brookdaleresident. I am new to this forum and I couldnt find my original posting. Thanks for all of your help and the information you provided.
You're welcome. I believe there's job fair coming up very soon. Good luck!

Old 02-21-2009, 06:47 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,604,828 times
My understanding is that even Gwinnett will not have many openings this year.

Read this article for more insight...

School enrollment slowdown helps budget writers | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/stories/2009/02/20/legislature_schools_enrollment.html - broken link)

As I have said repeatedly on this board, if you really want to teach next year, you need to apply to every Metro Atlanta system and you can't be picky. Some local systems are indeed building new schools but those schools will be staffed with teachers from the schools sending students.

There is always some attrition in teaching, but because so many have taken a hard hit in their retirement accounts and other jobs are so hard to find, the expectation is that fewer will be leaving the field this year.

As of today, class size for high school has not been increased, but many systems are quietly lobbying for this to happen (ugh) and if it does, it will result in the need for fewer teachers next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta