U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2009, 01:42 PM

9 posts, read 29,020 times

Advertisements

Has anyone attended/been hired through one of the fairs. If so, please share your experience/tips. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 12:44 PM

270 posts, read 833,082 times
I've attended several career fairs, including Women's Career Fair, alumni career fairs, technology association fairs, etc...
There is an interesting mix of people who work the company booths at the fairs. Some are HR recruiting personnel and some are just random employees who are there to just to take resumes and offer free advice, but don't have openings in their organization. Obviously it's important to figure out which category you are talking to and pitch differently depending on who you are talking to you.

For example, most HR recruiters appreciate people who are direct - "I saw you have X position available and I believe I am the candidate based on my qualifications XY&Z."

If talking to a random employee, then you have to be more friendly and make some small talk. These people are looking for new friends / co-workers and usually don't appreciate directness as much.

I really hate it when I go up to a booth at a job fair and the person representing the company working at the booth tells me, "Go and apply online..." I hate that. I think I get that when 1)the company has no real job openings and just bought the booth as a favor to the company to put on the job fair, or 2) they don't like me and it's the brush-off technique.
"Go and apply online..." - I could have done that at home! I didn't need to drive all the way down there and dress up in my suit to APPLY ONLINE!!!

Old 02-23-2009, 01:14 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,235,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srnyong View Post
I really hate it when I go up to a booth at a job fair and the person representing the company working at the booth tells me, "Go and apply online..." I hate that. I think I get that when 1)the company has no real job openings and just bought the booth as a favor to the company to put on the job fair, or 2) they don't like me and it's the brush-off technique.
"Go and apply online..." - I could have done that at home! I didn't need to drive all the way down there and dress up in my suit to APPLY ONLINE!!!
Many times, they have sized a person up by the way dress, act, speak, and interact with them - within seconds, sometimes. If you don't spark their interest, they will tell you to apply online basically just so you will move on. I have seen recruiters tell people to go online to apply, while later hiring people on the spot who did peak their interest.

The "go online" thing 3 out of 4 times is just a way for them to tell you they're not personally interested in your for any number of reasons, and to "move on", without saying so. It's the same as when someone walks in the door of a business asking if they're hiring. Many times, they are sized up very quickly. If something about them stands out as undesirable, the people will tell them "No, we are not hiring", when in fact they may be. But they're only going to accept applications from people they want in their mix.

While in a completely professional world, you are only hired based on your qualifications, the hard fact is, during recruitment fairs, they want stand-out people. They're going to look at your clothes, your mannerisms, how well you speak (grammar, etc), as well as your resume. If every peg doesn't fit their puzzle, they don't want to waste time on you. It's not necessarily a personal insult toward you - it's just many places want the best of the best (for them) to apply at this things.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:21 AM

270 posts, read 833,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Many times, they have sized a person up by the way dress, act, speak, and interact with them - within seconds, sometimes. If you don't spark their interest, they will tell you to apply online basically just so you will move on. I have seen recruiters tell people to go online to apply, while later hiring people on the spot who did peak their interest.

The "go online" thing 3 out of 4 times is just a way for them to tell you they're not personally interested in your for any number of reasons, and to "move on", without saying so. It's the same as when someone walks in the door of a business asking if they're hiring. Many times, they are sized up very quickly. If something about them stands out as undesirable, the people will tell them "No, we are not hiring", when in fact they may be. But they're only going to accept applications from people they want in their mix.

While in a completely professional world, you are only hired based on your qualifications, the hard fact is, during recruitment fairs, they want stand-out people. They're going to look at your clothes, your mannerisms, how well you speak (grammar, etc), as well as your resume. If every peg doesn't fit their puzzle, they don't want to waste time on you. It's not necessarily a personal insult toward you - it's just many places want the best of the best (for them) to apply at this things.
Thank you for that very tactful response, but I think you have left out some important factors that might also affect first impressions - race, gender, and age. There is still A LOT of discrimination out there when it comes to the hiring process. If someone is brushing you off, it might not be because of your mannerism or clothes, it might just be because they are discriminating against you due to your age, gender, or race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta