Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 10:27 AM

182 posts, read 492,380 times

Advertisements

Interesting I just posted a thread..I live in Charleston, SC (raised in Greenville, SC area) and I'm considering a move to Irvine. I've also considered Atlanta but after living near the coast and mountains in Greenville, I'm not sure I could do the "concrete jungle". I'm single and 45 no kids so living "expenses" are a little easier for me...not looking to buy but just curious as to why you may have moved from Irvine? and how did it compare to Charleston for you and your family...you can DM me if you'd like..thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 04:15 PM

1,709 posts, read 3,423,588 times
Move to the Brookhaven or Sandy Springs areas in a price range of 600k to find a decent house. Use the leftover 100k to join either Capital City (Brookhaven) or Atlanta Country Club (East Cobb, but minutes from Sandy Springs).

Both conservative areas without feeling like you are in the burbs. You'll also be playing some of the nicest courses in the state.

That is personal preference. But I will say, I'm usually right.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:51 PM

957 posts, read 3,355,694 times
Default Johns creek, GA vs Irvine, CA

I find both cities be very similar. Good schools, large Asian base, and nice subdivisions. Compare and contrast these two cities.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:16 AM

Diggums, did you end up moving to Atlanta from Irvine?

Old 01-16-2011, 04:25 PM

3,243 posts, read 6,295,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
I find both cities be very similar. Good schools, large Asian base, and nice subdivisions. Compare and contrast these two cities.
I don't think you could find two communites more different.

Irvine: extensively planned community with small lots,sidewalks,walking trails,safe wide streets with center dividers and very bright street lights.

Johns Creek:
Randomly developed community with very poor infrastructure,poor street lighting and fewer sidewalks.

Irvine: extensive public transit with Metrolink Rail and several OCTD bus routes.

Johns Creek: Almost zero public transit except for a rush hr. express bus to Doraville.

Irvine: Has an important regional airport,very convenient for travel

Johns Creek: Airport on other side of the region

Irvine: Home to a major University of California campus. Also home to Concordia University and Irvine Valley College.

Johns Creek: Does not even have a community college

Irvine: Chinese influx

Johns Creek: Indian and Korean influx

Irvine: Home to major employers including Fortune 500 companies like Gateway,Allergan & Broadcom.

Johns Creek: Mainly a bedroom community,more jobs in the Windward part of Alpharetta and Atlanta.

Irvine: 5 miles to the beach

Johns Creek: 200+ miles to any Ocean beaches

Irvine: distinctly planned village communites with walkable neighborhood elementary schools.

Johns Creek: Most kids ride buses or are driven to school.

Irvine:excellent freeway access with the 5,405 and 133.

Johns Creek: not convenient to either the 400 or 85 freeways.

Irvine: profiled in the book Edge City by Joel Garreau as a city of the future.

Johns Creek: profiled in the book Reloville by Peter Kilborn as an example of the suburban nightmare that people were happy to move away from.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,836 times
the comment of Asians coming in and taking ur childs place is absolutely rubbish,,, asian pays to come and live there, he has the right to get a place for his kid,,
if u boast of 2 houses 600,000+ blah blah,, u should also have money to send ur children in private school, rather than cribbing and bringing ur anger to hardworking Asian,,,

These comments of urs just show ur education and upbringing,,,,

Old 01-16-2011, 08:51 PM

876 posts, read 2,277,535 times
I haven't lived in Irvine or California for that matter, but I have been a tourist a few times to that state and have enjoyed my visits.

Take note: this thread is over 2 years old. Sometimes resurrecting an old thread is good, and sometimes not, Southern Sunshine. If you don't get many responses, maybe you can do your own Move to *** thread.

The comparisons between Johns Creek and Irvine are interesting anyway, even if the person doesn't care for Johns Creek / Atlanta / or Georgia in his/her opinion. The issue with lack of planning is a big one for the Atlanta region, I couldn't debate that issue otherwise.

I would say this a city with 200K people (Irvine) vs. a newly created suburan city, Johns Creek with 70K inhabitants, Irvine would definitely have an edge in many respects.

I don't know if the poster (Diggums) you are asking about will even bother to respond, pritiot or mrpanda. Either way, the OP (Diggums) has definitely made his decision either way by now.

Last edited by SW30303; 01-16-2011 at 09:06 PM..

Old 01-16-2011, 09:45 PM

Here are some of the similarities i see between the two cities. If you compare the public schools between Irvine and Johns Creek they are neck to neck. Shakerag, RiverTrail, and Northview (Johns Creek) vs. Bonita Canyon, Sierra Vista Middle School, Northwood HS.

Irvine's Asian population consists of Chinese #1 than Korean #2
Johns Creek Asian population consists of Indian #1 than Korean #2

The incorporation of Johns Creek shows me that there is going to be strong effort and leadership to make the city great, similar to when Irvine was incorporated in 1960.

The Irvine Spectrum reminds me of what Johns Creek Technology may look like one day.

The South Forsyth reminds me more of the newer developments in Irvine like Portola Springs, Stone gate, Woodbury etc, where as Johns Creek reminds me of the developed and older parts of Irvine like Turtle Rock, University Park, and West Irvine.

Nearby City rankings:
#1 Irvine
#2 Tustin
#3 Mission Viejo
#4 Aliso Viejo

is similar to:

Nearby City rankings:
#1 Johns Creek
#2 Alpharetta
#3 Suwanee
#4 Duluth

The job center sprawled south of Los Angeles to Irvine and surrounding area. I also see new job centers sprawling north of Atlanta to Alpharetta, Suwanee, and Johns Creek.

The Asian Stores are clean and large in both areas. I am comparing the Galleria in Duluth, to the Diamond Plaza in Irvine.

In some ways Johns Creek and S. Forsyth feels like the 1990s Irvine to me. Who is not to say there is going to be a satellite Airport coming in Gwinnett County like John Wayne Airport by 2020?

Irvine is a mature city whereas Johns Creek is an emerging city.

Irvine was a hot location for Asian transplants in the 80's and 90s, and Johns Creek will be hot spot for Asians in the next decade.

Irvine consists of 36% Asians today. Johns Creek will also reach that percentage by 2020.

Shady Canyon (Irvine) vs: CC of the South, St. Ives, Sugarloaf CC (Johns Creek/Duluth)

Last edited by mrpanda; 01-16-2011 at 10:06 PM..

Old 07-19-2011, 04:00 PM

In 1990 Irvine, California looked like this. population 110,000
White 68.8%
Black 1.8%
Asian 22.1%
Hispanic 6.8%

Today Johns Creek looks like this: population 76,000
White 63.4%
Black 9.2%
Asian 23.3%
Hispanic 5.2%

With 4 short years, Johns Creek has seen 10% loss in its white population and its Asian population almost double.

This is what Irvine, California looks like today. Population 212,000

White 45.1%
Asian 39%
Hispanic 9.2%
Black 1.6%

The White Asian ratio of Johns Creek will look very similar to this as early as 2018 to 2020.

Last edited by mrpanda; 07-19-2011 at 04:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta