Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 03:32 PM

12 posts, read 58,084 times

Advertisements

So I've recently been looking into moving to Atlanta... along with other places... but for some reason ever since I was a kid I've wanted to live in Atlanta. I'd be renting a two bedroom with my best friend, and need somewhere under 800 a month with most or all utilities paid, as well as a few other minor things. Craigslist has tons of listings of apartments that fit our needs and in many different areas close to the city but what the hell is up with all these "roaches thugs and drugs" reviews? Using apartmentratings.com I am able to type in the names of any complex in Atlanta and almost every single one has such negative reviews about the maintenance, the customer service, the staff, or even worse: drug dealers trying to sell drugs to the residents, trash everywhere, COCKROACHES IN THE BUILDINGS!

Now I'm not looking for a grand palace by any means, but c'mon, there has to be ONE complex that is safe for me and my best friend (were both young females) to live in without feeling distressed about our cars getting broken into or our neighbor being a coke dealer. I've just been looking for days and days and every building I look into that seems nice on the outside and good rates has such negative reviews.

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong area of Atlanta? Can anyone help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 04:13 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,476,619 times
There are quite a few apartment complexes in/around Emory University--from Decatur to Toco Hill/Executive Park.

Sheridan Rd, Briarcliff Rd, North Druid Hills, Clairmont and LaVista Rds are good areas to search.

Several posters have suggested the area around the MARTA station at Lindbergh as a good location for young professionals. Others recommend Perimeter Mall/Dunwoody.

ProMove is an apt locator service that is often mentioned.

There are plenty of apartments that would meet your criteria but a lengthy commute may be involved. If you will be working, for example, in Marietta or Alpharetta and you find a great apartment near Emory or Decatur you will have a 45 min-to over an hour commute. Post properties are good, Gables, AMLI and so many others--some of the older properties have been well-maintained.

ETA: In general I believe it is rare to find apartments with utilities included in the rent. There would be 2 BDR's in your price range/$800/mo but you would need to budget another $100/200 for electricity and/or gas. Water is generally included.

Last edited by TakeAhike; 02-26-2009 at 04:35 PM..

Old 02-26-2009, 04:33 PM

341 posts, read 1,337,516 times
I would say if you are not trying to spend upwards of $1000, or live way far out, you should look at renting someones condo. I wouldnt live in an apartment complex here, apartment complex breezeways are the Atlanta version of street corners and project lobbies up north. Even in some of the nicer areas, the apartment complex's can get sketchy. I would look and see about renting a condo first, you would be suprised what you could rent one for now. Whatever you do dont rent any apartment west of Northside Dr or south of Marietta Blvd!!!!!!

Old 02-26-2009, 04:35 PM

341 posts, read 1,337,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
There are quite a few apartment complexes in/around Emory University--from Decatur to Toco Hill/Executive Park.

Sheridan Rd, Briarcliff Rd, North Druid Hills, Clairmont and LaVista Rds are good areas to search.

Several posters have suggested the area around the MARTA station at Lindbergh as a good location for young professionals. Others reccomend Perimeter Mall/Dunwoody.

ProMove is an apt locator service that is often mentioned.

There are plenty of apartments that would meet your criteria but a lengthy commute may be involved. If you will be working, for example, in Marietta or Alpharetta and you find a great apartment near Emory or Decatur you will have a 45 min-to over an hour commute. Post properties are good, Gables, AMLI and so many others--some of the older properties have been well-maintained.

ETA: In general I believe it is rare to find apartments with utilities included in the rent. There would be 2 BDR's in your price range/$800/mo but you would need to budget another $100/200 for electricity and/or gas. Water is generally included.

Actually I forgot about that area, there are some cheap, safe, and clean apartments in that area. I was talking from a West Midtown, Downtown, near Westside perspective. Thats where the OP should look

Old 03-19-2009, 01:31 AM

573 posts, read 2,505,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Post properties are good, Gables, AMLI and so many others--some of the older properties have been well-maintained.
Good luck finding a 2 br around Emory and more specifically at these complexes for 800/month. The only one I can think of is Longwood and it's verging on sketchy. A ONE bedroom at gables montclair or rock springs will run you at least 800, same with post briarcliff and calibre woods.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:12 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meenesotahhEH View Post
So I've recently been looking into moving to Atlanta... along with other places... but for some reason ever since I was a kid I've wanted to live in Atlanta. I'd be renting a two bedroom with my best friend, and need somewhere under 800 a month with most or all utilities paid, as well as a few other minor things. Craigslist has tons of listings of apartments that fit our needs and in many different areas close to the city but what the hell is up with all these "roaches thugs and drugs" reviews? Using apartmentratings.com I am able to type in the names of any complex in Atlanta and almost every single one has such negative reviews about the maintenance, the customer service, the staff, or even worse: drug dealers trying to sell drugs to the residents, trash everywhere, COCKROACHES IN THE BUILDINGS!

Now I'm not looking for a grand palace by any means, but c'mon, there has to be ONE complex that is safe for me and my best friend (were both young females) to live in without feeling distressed about our cars getting broken into or our neighbor being a coke dealer. I've just been looking for days and days and every building I look into that seems nice on the outside and good rates has such negative reviews.

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong area of Atlanta? Can anyone help?
The fact that every apartment complex you enter has the same comments might tell the story...there are a lot of bitter and vindictive people that don't like their former or current complex for one reason or another - and those people will publish any kind of negative information they can think of. I've seen it...I've been unhappy with complexes I've lived in before, but normally over lease stuff or because they weren't allowing me to do something that I wanted to do.

I really don't think I would put much stock in a bunch of online comments from anonymous folks - this forum has a lot of that same element...

Old 03-05-2014, 05:56 AM

202 posts, read 231,123 times
After being run out of my neighborhood (and home of 35 years) by thugs kicking down my doors, I looked at 21 apartment complexes north of I-20. Finally settled on Regency Square in Chamblee. Been there 5 months and all is well. However, for what you're willing to spend, you and your friend would have to share a one bedroom. Apartments in Atlanta are currently expensive. Some unsolicited advice...try another city. I wouldn't be living here if I weren't on a 15-year long job. Good luck.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:43 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,770,199 times
You do realize y'all are responding to a thread that is 5 years old! I assume the OP has found a place by now

Old 04-14-2014, 07:30 AM

202 posts, read 231,123 times
Sure, I realize that, but people are still looking for apartments. When I was looking, it was nice to have current info, so I'm sharing current. BTW, why are you reading this old post??? LOL

Old 04-19-2014, 06:31 PM

2 posts, read 2,516 times
Thanks for the info KittyAtlanta!! I'm definitely looking! Keep the info coming folks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta