U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 01:08 PM

31 posts, read 111,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
Couldn't agree more. Back a year or two ago when Atlanta was trying to come up with a slogan for its new ad campaign ("Every Day is OPening Day" and "Opportunity, Optimism, ???" or something like that). It was KILLING me that they didn't just go with the "City of Trees" slogan that you hear occasionally. It is absolutely the city's best attribute and it is an attribute that no one outside Atlanta associates with the city because no one thinks of Atlanta as a green, outdoorsy city.

BTW, whenever a poster -- in ANY forum -- compares a city to a Texas city, you should expect the Texas defenders to come out strong for anyone who makes even the slightest criticism of Texas. Folks from Houston and Dallas seem to take it VERY personally.
Very true. You know what the attitude here in Texas is when they have bumper stickers that say ' You don't scare me, I'm from Texas'..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 01:09 PM

2,642 posts, read 7,237,320 times
Here's a photo I found with Stone Mountain off in the background:

Old 02-14-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
Here's a photo I found with Stone Mountain off in the background:

Great view..your making me homesick again. My last year in Dallas is going to be very long....

Old 02-14-2008, 01:34 PM

913 posts, read 2,625,158 times
Dallas is hot and way too flat. It is very isolated from other major cities, oceans, mountains, etc. I have been to Dallas many times. It is a nice place, but it doesn't compare to Atlanta. There is a lot more to do in and around Atlanta. Both are great cities, but I give ATL the edge.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:31 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,136,563 times
Dallas and Atlanta kinda look similar in a way. Dallas has MUCH less traffic, less racial, and lower cost of living. Atlanta is pretty, TONS of trees, and there seems to be alot to do there.

An earlier poster, Paddington really came down hard on Dallas, which is fine, but I've lived in Columbus, Ohio, and you couldn't pay me to live there again

Old 02-14-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNT_Eagle View Post
Dallas and Atlanta kinda look similar in a way. Dallas has MUCH less traffic, less racial, and lower cost of living. Atlanta is pretty, TONS of trees, and there seems to be alot to do there.

An earlier poster, Paddington really came down hard on Dallas, which is fine, but I've lived in Columbus, Ohio, and you couldn't pay me to live there again
Lower cost of living? I don't think so. Like I mentioned previously, the property taxes are double compared to Atlanta; the electricity is about 2 to 3 time higher (.5/6 cdnts kilowatts vs .11/.13 in Texas). Also car insurance is slightly higher. The fact that there is no state tax does not alleviate home owners from the burden of high property taxes plus the high energy cost. Traffic is the only major negative against Atlanta. As far as racial, I find more here here in Dallas than Atlanta. There is more diversity in Atlanta than Texas..I do not think anyone can argue that...

Old 02-14-2008, 03:47 PM

[quote=turtleman;2829

The cost of living is definately lower in Atlanta..

Old 02-14-2008, 04:01 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,136,563 times
[quote=turtleman;2829518][quote=turtleman;2829

The cost of living is definately lower in Atlanta..[/QUOTE]

Guess it's how you look at it.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:04 PM

12,911 posts, read 20,980,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
We should start a campaign to get Shirly Franklin to start OUR marketing strategy instead of that LAME Every Day is Opening Day (WTF does THAT mean?).

Instead of trying to advertise Atlanta as a tourist destination they should advert it as a final destination.
What's important for a city to do is to make the city pleasant and exciting for its residents (city proper and suburban). Just about everything a city+metro area does should be for its residents (transportation, wayfinders, the attractions, beautification). The tourists will then soon come.

If you think about great cities (Chicago, Boston, Sydney, etc.)...their appeal is that they haven't been "prettied up for tourists." The attractions and attributes of the cities are for the residents and used by the residents each and every day.

Atlanta just needs to be Atlanta. Uncover its soul/originality/appeal (it's all there!) and run with it. Not think about what other cities are doing...just do what needs to be done and make the city great for the residents!

Old 02-14-2008, 04:18 PM

12,911 posts, read 20,980,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
Agreed. The city would do better if it advertised in California and the northeast to bring new residents to the city who are fleeing ridiculous home prices, as opposed to an ad campaign that tries to draw tourists from Charlotte, Chattanooga, and Birmingham.
Advertising to the other southern cities should be done, but in a different way.

Outside of the American South, Atlanta should emphasize its Southerness (the urban manifestation of any and everything Southern!...GWTW, Southern Rock, Black Southerners, the Scot-Irish, Quilting, etc.), Trees, History (Civil War to Civil Rights), and the fact that it is the de-facto hub/center of Black American culture.

This would be for the rest of the nation and the world.

To the American South, Atlanta would emphasize its "Big Cityness"...nightlife, shopping, music, etc...things that one can't get anywhere else in the South.

I think Atlanta should focus on two slogans...

1. Urban Brilliance, Southern Style. (This can be written a variety of ways).

2. The City of Trees. (or alternatively The City in a Forest.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or