U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 07:10 PM

151 posts, read 727,687 times

Advertisements

Actually Dallas has a lower cost of living overall (2.9% on bankrate.com, 8.6% on bestplaces.net). Texas ranks 43rd in tax burden (sales, property, income) compared to 32nd for Georgia (money.cnn.com 2007). And Texas has been restructuring (making more friendly supposedly) their property taxes since 2006.

Both cities have traffic problems, but Atlanta is worse. Both have great and numerous places to eat and shop. Atlanta, IMO, is a prettier area than Dallas (and I am from Texas). Atlanta's weather is a lot better as well. Atlanta has more things nearby (ocean, mountains), and that would be a big plus for me but maybe less for others. Both cities have big airports nearby, good universities, and strong business climates. And like someone else stated, I too find Dallas and Atlanta a lot alike. (I lived in North Dallas for 5 years and Alpharetta for 4 years)

But on average, Dallas will be cheaper overall than Atlanta. Your mileage may vary though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 07:35 PM

2,642 posts, read 7,236,537 times
How much do homes cost within 5 miles of downtown in Dallas? Can you find homes in the upper 300s?

Old 02-14-2008, 08:02 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,493,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
How much do homes cost within 5 miles of downtown in Dallas? Can you find homes in the upper 300s?
Lakewooder over in the Dallas forum would probably be the best one to answer that question.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:21 PM

My point is that I was able to by my house for just under 400K and I am about 3 miles from downtown Atlanta....and it's actually a detached home, not a condo. Granted, it's a duplex...but not for much longer....

Old 02-14-2008, 10:26 PM

206 posts, read 904,708 times
Hello I am currently in Dallas been here all my life and I have visited Atlanta a couple of times and am currently in the process of relocating as well, but I agree with the previous post in terms of getaways and things to do Dallas definitely is not what's up. I love all the social events -i, e black arts festival, centennial park, piedmont park , georgia aquarium , coca cola starplex,- just to name a few that ATl has to offer .Now I will admit I was a little spectacle about ATL when I first visited and ended up on the rough side of town it kind of reminded me of South Dallas but you are abound for opportunity in Atlanta I haven't even moved yet and have had several opportunities for employment and I must say I was impressed with all the minorities I saw in Benz's lol Dallas has the same to offer I just love how Atl doesn't discriminate based on the race of color or at least I hadn't experienced that and a lot of things in GA are different such as the registration - they don't have to have an inspection sticker - which in Dallas is suppose to be used to repair Bridges, Roads, etc. yeah right.That is just my opinion though.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:39 PM

79 posts, read 373,602 times
Everyone says Atlanta has better weather than Dallas because it's not as hot. But what about in the winter? I don't like cold weather much. Isn't Dallas a little milder in the winter?

Old 02-15-2008, 05:22 AM

Yeah, I'm sure Dallas is milder in the winter but...speaking as a former resident of South Louisiana...Atlanta's winters are pretty mild, too. You get some really cold days, but they don't last. Most winter daytime temps are around the 40s...

Old 02-16-2008, 08:56 AM

18,211 posts, read 25,902,249 times
Quote:
There is more diversity in Atlanta than Texas..I do not think anyone can argue that...
You mean there is probably more diversity in Atlanta than Dallas. Because Houston trumps BOTH cities when it comes to diversity. I know Atlanta is growing in hispanics and asians. But Houston is on another level when it comes to this aspect. Let's talk about what we know now.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:58 AM

18,211 posts, read 25,902,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
Dallas is more like a typical post-WWII sunbelt city, with 10 lane roads, lots of strip malls, big signs for "Taco Shops", and lots of ugly, trashy developments everywhere. There's no concept of making things "nicer", "decent" or even "not trashy", just "bigger" and "even more bigger".

Atlanta is about the exact opposite of that. It's laid out a lot more like old Northeastern cities, with a lot of walkable neighborhoods, classy old homes, rolling hills, trees, etc.
Ahh, you. You don't see to change from forum to forum. Whether it's SSC or city-data.com. You seem to spew nothing but ignorance regarding the Texas cities. Dallas doesn't have any walkable neighborhoods? Dallas doesn't have classy old homes? Really? Dallas doesn't have rollling hills? Sure? They may not be mountains. But they are hills. You're right, Dallas isn't built like the old Northeastern Cities (and neither is Atlanta for that matter btw), but Dallas gridded system is similar to a smaller Chicago's gridded system.

Old 05-16-2008, 03:31 PM

2 posts, read 7,200 times
Default Dallas/Atlanta

I cant stand judgmental people who dont know what they are talking about. Dallas is where it is at. If you havent been there then just dont comment on it. Ive been to both cities and they are both nice. Dallas is bigger and has more job opps. Atlanta has more things to do outside of work. They both have thier ups and downs but please dont comment on either city if you havent been there. Oh and Dallas is the SOUTHwest not the West. Go there and you will se it is like any other southern city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or