Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 06:30 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,619,179 times

Advertisements

I just got a text from my boyfriend who works on Fulton Industrial that there's an armed man protesting on the side of the highway- he has a sheet that has "crime victim" spray painted on it. The police say he's protesting so they're allowing it. Anyone know any other details?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 06:45 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,357,570 times
I wonder what he's protesting. We have the "guns everywhere law" now, so certainly it isn't that.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:01 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,769,325 times
I just can't get over the fact we're allowing crazy people to walk around with an AK-47.... yea that isn't eventually going to cause accidents and heated exchanges in the future

Old 07-24-2014, 10:03 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,776,450 times
Are you sure it's not an AR-15 or something like that? You can't buy AK-47s because they are automatic and if he truly had an AK-47 he'd be arrested very quickly UNLESS it were modified to be single-shot and not automatic.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:34 PM

858 posts, read 1,385,179 times
AK-47s haven't been automatic since the ban in the 80s. You can buy them just about anywhere that sells guns.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:21 PM

erick295: Hmm, you're right and it's interesting that they still call it AK 47 even though it isn't automatic. This is versus how the non-automatic version of the M16 is called the AR-15. From what I'm reading, if you buy an authentic Ak 47 in a magazine-restricted location, they have to sell it to you without the magazine even if it is converted to semi already.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:02 AM

858 posts, read 1,385,179 times
Well, it really is the exact same design minus the ability to select fire modes, so it's still an AK-47. It's more of a class than a model. There are dozens (if not hundreds) of variations out there.

I guess the same is true for the AR-15, but that's trademarked, so only Colt can sell them under that specific name.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:24 AM

I've never gotten the point of having rifles like this. I have a hunting bow in my house and very good aim. It is powerful enough to take down a bear. I could shoot someone through sheetrock or a door, and an intruder wouldn't even know where I'm shooting from. I could shoot them from behind bushes and if I missed I'd have at least another shot (I don't think I'd miss twice). It has better aim than anything but a rifle. Plus, my kids cannot pull the string. Heck, my father can't even pull it back and I've yet to meet a teenager who could.

I have target tips on the arrows right now, and it'd still stop an intruder enough for me to subdue them since with the target tip, the arrow would go right through their body and out the other side, and the fletchings would probably rip a nice gash in their innards and then lodge inside their body. It'd be quite a mess, even without the hunting tips and they'd probably be in shock. Even with the target tip, these aluminum arrows go at around 300 feet per second, which means faster than you could blink it'd be to the intruder. Due to the way arrows flex as they fly and the way they catch their target and then bend through, it would possibly do more damage than a bullet and most bone would not stop it more than deflect it an inch or two, such as between the ribs probably cracking them in the process. Even if it did lodge into a bone, they'd be knocked to the ground and be either unconscious or barely conscious.

So, not sure why a gun is necessary. Pistols, especially, have really horrible aim even for skilled shooters. Plus, guns need to be locked.

Last edited by netdragon; 07-25-2014 at 12:55 AM..

Old 07-25-2014, 12:31 AM

7,356 posts, read 6,525,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
I've never gotten the point of having rifles like this. I have a hunting bow in my house and very good aim. It is powerful enough to take down a bear. I could shoot someone through sheetrock or a door, and an intruder wouldn't even know where I'm shooting from. I could shoot them from behind bushes and if I missed I'd have at least another shot (I don't think I'd miss twice). It has better aim than anything but a rifle. Plus, my kids cannot pull the string. Heck, my father can't even pull it back and I've yet to meet a teenager who could.

I have target tips on the arrows right now, and it'd still stop an intruder enough for me to subdue them since with the target tip, the arrow would go right through their body and out the other side, and the fletchings would probably rip a nice gash in their innards and then lodge inside their body. It'd be quite a mess, even without the hunting tips and they'd probably be in shock.
What happens if you miss the first time?

Old 07-25-2014, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
What happens if you miss the first time?
Unlike a gun, they wouldn't know where the arrow is coming from because it's so quiet and I can re-knock the bow in about 2 seconds, hidden from them. The chances of me missing twice is next to none within 30 yards of them, even with adrenaline to contend with. If they got close to me, I do have a civil war bayonet kept up with the bow (the bayonet is not accessible to the kids, of course) and can use that as a sword if the intruder gets within arm's length of me so long as I remember to take it with me. Interestingly, this is a union bayonet. I'm from the Northeast.

The biggest advantage is still that I don't need to lock the bow since no kid can draw it. That means I can be significantly faster in hitting the intruder than I would be with a locked gun.

Last edited by netdragon; 07-25-2014 at 01:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: